Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:15:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Professionals (1966)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Professionals (1966)  (Read 21354 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 01:52:45 AM »

THe dvd SE distributed in Italy is the same as the one distributed in USA. BTW the interview with Cardinale in the featurettes does explain that she wore before shooting the scene tons of necklaces and what else to cover them. So it is possible that the blacking of her breast was added not to cover her nudity but to cover whatever she put on and let the audience suppose she had her breast  naked. I don't know about an International edition but I tell you that I saw the movie on tv 20 years ago and I would have noticed CC naked breast, believe me. And, like me, so would have all her fans. But there are some pics of her in topless shot by paparazzi 30 years ago for those who care and which I presume can be easily found with a google search.

About the movie, I liked it very much, almost perfect were it not that the finale is disappointing, very conventional hollywooden crap. One wonders why did it take them so long to make a decision they could have made just after having seen how things do stand : if not after having peeped Cardinale and Palance love scene, at least after CC telle them how things really are. I give it an 8\10 only because of Marvin's great performance.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »

The Beev on the Blu-ray: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/the_professionals_blu-ray.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

But there are some pics of her in topless shot by paparazzi 30 years ago for those who care and which I presume can be easily found with a google search.

Those have been posted on this site several times.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »

I haven't seen this in at least two years. Definitely needs a rewatch. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »

Savant on the BR disc: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2595prof.html

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 01:23:08 PM »

I'm hearing Tuco Harmonica thinks this this film is just "ok." To hell with that, it's one of the greatest western's ever in my opinion. Yes, the film has Claudia Cardinale, and she's great in it, but the film is GREAT with or without her. The cast is exceptional here and I love the story.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »

I haven't seen this film many times in my life, maybe three, more probably two, and a long time ago, in what now seems like a galaxy far, far away... Ah...

The biggest fault this movie carries on its shoulders is the indecisiveness. What is this, an entertaining flick starring a bunch of tough guys on a mission, or a revolution drama? - This movie tries being both, and ends up being neither. Eat the cake and have it too, it doesn't work that way, lads. Maybe once in a million times.

What was Robert Ryan doing here, btw? I understand why Woody Strode did it, as much as I'm sure we all like him in here, he wasn't a star, he must have figured it wouldn't hurt at all to be in a W with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster (and he was right too), but I can see no reason whatsoever for RR to be in it, especially his character being half-dead most of the time. I'm sure they could have found anybody to fill that part. They tried something in the beginning with him, when he wouldn't kill those horses, and then he just got lost as a character. Woody's character's very simple also. What the hell, a bunch of guys on a mission flicks, I want jokes every 36 seconds, take no prisoners.

The action's okay and Marvin and Lancaster carry the show, but that's about it. This doesn't seem to be a great W by any definition. I liked the episodes with the Mexican bandits in the first half, that's when the title of the movie seemed right, later they just disconnected from that frequency, beats me why.

Tooooooooooo looooooooooooooooooooooong...

Ralph Bellamy's in it, then where the hell is Don Ameche?

(hoping for a) 7/10 (on a good day)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:59:16 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

I haven't seen this in at least two years. Definitely needs a rewatch. Afro

Anytime sweetheart.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »

Spoiler comment !!!

My only complaint is that at least one of the 4 should have died. Ryan, who was already wounded, or Lancaster on his last stand.

Ohh, and the big action scene at the camp is not that good.

Whatever, this mercenary western is much better than Mag 7. I wished Brooks had done some more westerns.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »

this mercenary western is much better than Mag 7. I wished Brooks had done some more westerns.

Pretty much agree with this.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:43 AM »

TMS is more entertaining, this one seems more... professional. They climb up to approximately the same rating in my book, though.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »

The first time I saw it I didn't think much of it but a second view turned me straight.
Great movie. Very entertaining.
I still think Robert Ryan is terribly underused though.
He has , maybe, one good scene.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »

just saw The Professionals for the first time. Real good film, but I have 2 problems with it; both are with the script

SPOILER

1) the ending was absolutely ridiculous. 4 guys who will do anything for $10,000 including put their lives at risk, and backstab their own former comrades, suddenly get a conscience cuz of a couple's love for each other? puhleez. It was about as ridiculous as the ending to Red River

2) As some of you have mentioned, the Ryan character wasn't written well. First he seems to be a big player, and then he just disappears for the latter part of the film. I understand that in any gang/film, some players will be bigger and some will be smaller. eg. the Woody Strode character never says that much, so I feel he is consistent. But what is weird about the Ryan character is how he seems to have more of a part at first, and then just fades away

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 05:45:47 AM »

1) the ending was absolutely ridiculous. 4 guys who will do anything for $10,000 including put their lives at risk, and backstab their own former comrades, suddenly get a conscience cuz of a couple's love for each other? puhleez. It was about as ridiculous as the ending to Red River

No problem for me, instead this scene shows the cynicism of the film.They are professionals, and they do their job, even if they halfway through have to realise that they were put on.
But after the job is done they do what they think is right. But now many more people have died only for their code of professionalism. Very cynical.
That's a pretty strong end, and I like it very much.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 06:39:42 AM »

Yes the ending sucks. It might have worked had it been set up at all (like The Dogs of War), but it plays as a really lame, "crowd-pleasing" cop out in this film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM