Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:07:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La collina degli stivali aka Boot Hill (1969)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La collina degli stivali aka Boot Hill (1969)  (Read 24407 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »

Thanx. Not that I think that a better release can alter yours and Banjo's opinion. To me the superiority of this is so apparent that if somebody doesn't grab it at first sight, however impaired by a bad release quality, then never will. But it's all in the game.

I still haven't seen "God forgives" actually. Plan to rectify that quite soon though.

I have heard mixed reviews about it. Some say it's tedious others say it's good.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 03:34:47 PM »

I admit that I stopped watching it after the fist-fight between Spencer and Hill.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »

I admit that I stopped watching it after the fist-fight between Spencer and Hill.

How many minutes in?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 04:16:38 PM »

But there's only one fist-fight, near the end of the film (?)

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »

Am I confusing it with another movie? I saw it many months ago and it's possible. Still I think there's a kind of confrontation on the borders of a river between Spencer and Hill when they are interrupted by Santantonio's men.

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »

Different version of the movie? I don't know about the differences though but I think there's atleast 3 versions of 'God Forgives' around... the long italian one (I think the long german western version of the film is the same though? ) and then there's german comedy version and then finally the english language version which is very much cut.

As for Ace High, the US DVD looks damn good but the english language version is unfortunately cut... may be over 10minutes. An italian disc has the longer version but has no english options and is now out of print.

And of course as always the english (and some other versions) are cut compared to the italian release but are probably full length english versions of the movie. Wink

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006, 03:45:02 AM »

Exactly.
But that's mainly for admireres of Colizzi's films, the other ones will be bored, because the films are even longer then. Wink
My Italian is pretty good, maybe I'll make an English version DVD with the additional Italian sequences english subtitled..

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 02:13:14 AM »

I still haven't seen "God forgives" actually. Plan to rectify that quite soon though.

I have heard mixed reviews about it. Some say it's tedious others say it's good.
Tedious-the English version may be cut but it still seems way overlong,slow and completely lacking the humour from Ace High(which Eli Wallach makes essential) but as with Boot Hill i'd like to give this a second chance by seeing a decent widescreen print.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 05:56:50 AM »

Firecracker's Crappiest Sw's review Grin :-

Boot Hill

"And the cats and the cradle and the silver spoon, boy whoever directed this was a real loon."(bad pun)

Before I get into the review I must say that this is the worst spaghetti western I have had the displeasure of watching. Boot Hill is the last of the Cat Stevens trilogy, the first two being "God forgives, I dont" and "Ace High." Let us begin.

Things start off interesting enough with are hero Cat Stevens(this character has no relation to the singer and is played by Terence hill) the mysterious gunslinger is in a dreary looking town being chased by several bad guys. A gunfight ensues between Cat and the bad guys. Cat is shot and crawls to the nearest hiding spot, the interior of a  traveling circus stagecoach(owned by a circus performer visiting the town there in). The circus leaves town bringing along there stagecoaches and Cat escapes. The wounded hero is discovered by circus trapeze artist Woody Strode( Now I like woody and I think he is a bad ass, unfortunatly this is a terrible role for him) in the most embarassing role I have ever seen him in. He spends most of the movie in an embarsassing circus outfit and is prone to do jimnastics...

...anyway. Woody and the other performers(including Lionel Stander in the role of the ringleader of the circus.) try to heal Cat while traveling to there next performance town. They arrive in a town that is owned by a greedy buissness man and his henchmen(the same bad guys who tried to kill Cat). The greedy town boss is after a mine that is owned by the miners of the town( I am not really sure what the guy wants for sure, by this time I just wanted to get through the movie so I can never watch it again). The town boss's henchmen end up killing some miners and a few circus performers. naturally the circus performers want revenge. they ask for the help of Cat to help rid these bastards. Cat agrees realizing that he would like to get rid of the people who shot him as much as these circus folk want to get rid of them for killing there friends. Cat seeks out his old friend Hutch(Bud Spencer) and trains the circus folk to fight. at the end the circus folk invite the town boss and his cronies to see a circus performance for free. They show up, all hell breaks loose....

....There is a overlong and boring gunfight for the finale which involves circus midgets beating up on random bad guys and circus performers firing their guns around not looking like they are actually hitting anything in particular. somehow they manage to win the fight though. There is a highlight moment in the gunfight where Cat stevens squares off in a showdown between him and a bad guy(presumably the one who shot him). The two do the whole routine thing, stare at each other for several seconds and such...then they FIRE. But you dont see either one of them get shot, the scene moves to something else and you dont find out until later who lived(Cat prevails of course, but it was still suspenseful and the only time any real imagination shows itself present in the film). As you can tell there is little action in the film. you are right. there is only the beginning gunfight and the end gunfight, leaving you with nothing interesting to watch for a good hour and 15 minutes. If that gap between gunfights were filmed with interesting characters and build up, that would be fine. but you get none of the here. You'll be bored to tears throughout the picture and you will cringe at some of the circus stuff that goes on in the film. I see the film as an endurance test. The circus clowns in the movie seem to be mocking you, to see how long you will endure this torture.

The Actors

Terence Hill: Hill is fine as clint eastwood errrrr...I mean Cat stevens, the lone cynical gunslinger. He did the same role better in the previous film "Ace High" though.

Bud Spencer: plays the same lovable brute he plays in every damn movie.

Woody Strode:..............................................................

Lionel Stander: does virtually nothing in this film. He doesnt even fight during the gunfight at the end. And he does NOTHING to escape the "creepy somewhat perverted old guy" image he has had in all his spaghetti westerns.

After thoughts:
For those who were eyeing the wild east dvd(though i am curious to see a decent transfer of this film.) dont get it. it aint worth it. no matter how much wild east boasts about there crisp transfer. They have a quote in the back saying "no spaghetti western fan should miss this". who the hell are they trying to fool?

the tagline of the movie was
"Boot Hill, where nobody died of natural causes."
...yeah.
Because they died of boredom.

CRAP METER:9

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:1

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 01:42:31 AM »

Reading reviews at IMDB I have the impression that there's a problem with (one of) the american release(s)?  And that almost all the negative opinions stem from that fact. I have seen a italian spoken version with some in german snippets cut from the italian original theatrical release (I saw it at the time, but figure...) which make the running time over 90'. Some american viewer says at IMDB he can't see Terence Hill speaking in some scenes as there's no light: in my copy everything is crystal clear.
(A curious thing for italian viewers is that Buono's chief sidekick is played by Glauco Onorato who was the dubber for Bud Spencer: in the movie he doubles for Bud and himself!!).
Anyway, though not perfect, the movie is head, if not even shoulder, above the other two which bored me after a promising start.   

What does the Italian DB have to say about "Boot Hill"?

Also Titoli, I would re-watch "God Forgives..." because I think it was an excellent picture. Certainly the best of the series.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/terence2.htm

Here it says that although well directed and well cast, is not the best of Colizzi's because the plot slows down in places, no good action, duel or shooting scenes.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2007, 04:51:58 PM »

Great those contrary opinions. Would be nice discussions such things in a bar. Live action guarantedd and nooo boredom for sure Smiley.

I'll always love that film. I stay with it: Colizzi got better every time. DIO PERDONA is good, different, a bit rough in it's style, not right there... AVE MARIA is great, yet too long. By COLLINA he learned, it is over 20 minutes shorter. And hey, plot? TITOLI e Italiano, non? Plot is for American reviewers who miss it during films initial release and when they become classics they forget about the story and rave about the style. And Colizzi's style is great. Extraordinary. See for me it's the other way around: I'M boored with suspensful revenge stories and tight scripts - seen it all in 30 years and most of the time much better. I think of Robert Ryan who said in 1969:

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2007, 05:01:20 PM »

(had to make a break here, PC-problems..)

Ryan said (during shooting WILD BUNCH): 'all westerns are made. now it's only a question of style. and Peckinpah's style is extraordinary..'
I feel the same way, 'love Colizzi therefore. A film in which the leading man has no dialogue for 20 minutes? Brave. Forget about Colizzis plots. They're told with three lines. He's great at shooting 'scenes', like Hawks, who wasn't interested in plots. The motiv of the circus I like a lot, as in MERCENARIO beautifully included. Everything is a bit different here, the weird score which is unique (probably more jazzy than any other Western score). His duels and shootings are always non-cliche. I hate face-to-face duels, almost only Sollima and Leone did that good enough to get away with it.

Cool film, especially in a theatre, looks great on the screen.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »

(had to make a break here, PC-problems..)

Ryan said (during shooting WILD BUNCH): 'all westerns are made. now it's only a question of style. and Peckinpah's style is extraordinary..'
I feel the same way, 'love Colizzi therefore. A film in which the leading man has no dialogue for 20 minutes? Brave. Forget about Colizzis plots. They're told with three lines. He's great at shooting 'scenes', like Hawks, who wasn't interested in plots. The motiv of the circus I like a lot, as in MERCENARIO beautifully included. Everything is a bit different here, the weird score which is unique (probably more jazzy than any other Western score). His duels and shootings are always non-cliche. I hate face-to-face duels, almost only Sollima and Leone did that good enough to get away with it.

Cool film, especially in a theatre, looks great on the screen.

I hated BOOT HILL. However with my recent of "God forgives..." (which I  very much enjoyed) I have been revisiting Colizzi's westerns. I want to get a decent transfer to watch BH on.

Ace High, I viewed just yesterday (my third view) and it is still too long and very dull in places.
I think most like this one the best because of Wallach's character. It reminds them of Tuco.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 03:00:14 AM »

TITOLI e Italiano, non?

Titoli romano, by birth, like Leone and Morricone. Italiano by incident, like them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM