Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:17:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La collina degli stivali aka Boot Hill (1969)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La collina degli stivali aka Boot Hill (1969)  (Read 24396 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 03:17:11 AM »

Titoli č romano, by birth,

But I suspect Titoli isn't the name your parents gave you Grin

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 03:36:28 AM »

Civis romanus sum.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »

Colizzi is probably the most underrated SW director.

The most stylish director after Leone and Corbucci (when he had put his mind to his films).

I was always surprised that so many fans really call Boot Hill one of the worst SWs. Is this only due to cut full frame versions, or is it really that difficult to appreciate the qualities of Boot Hill?

I agree excactly with everything Mike Siegel has said about Boot Hill and the other 2 Colizzi westerns.

The best of the trilogy and of course in my SW Top 20.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »

Stanton,

being a maverick is a way of life,
but in company it is more fun after all Smiley

Good taste you got. Where are you from?
Or do we know each other already?

But I think to (really) appreciate the 4 Colizzis (incl. PIU FORTE RAGAZZI!)
one must see them in best possible condition. Uncut, Widescreen (!), rich colors and
not dubbed in Englisch. I just worked on a new German DVD for DIO PERDONA - IO NO
that represented the film for the very first time the way it was released in 69 (over here
in Germania): as a dead serious 'Django' - entry. It was a debut film and for that it
is great and certainly more original and innovative than 90% of the rest of
Italian output of that time.

But BOOT HILL is just very special.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 06:08:10 AM »

Yeah, I think we have much in common, as if I had to reduce my island films to only one, it would be ... The Wild Bunch.

He he, and if I had too chose an SW avatar I would have taken the same as yours. I like this special film still very much. Il mercenario is one of the great SW masterpieces, but not acknowledged as such by all fans. Which still puzzles me.

God Forgives. You were involved in the latest german release, or you will do another release (the perfect release?) in the near future?
I still have the Jewel Edition which is not perfect but good enough to enjoy. And as much as I have read, the latest release is not a great improvement, but preferable if you don't own the older release.

What about an uncut release of Boot Hill? There seems to be an italian version which is even longer than the extended german DVD.

But Colizzi made 5 films before his premature death. Yes?

I know the Spencer/ Hill one but haven't seen it for a long time. I'm remembering it as their best next to the the ones by E.B. Clucher.

The 5th I have never seen. It is a Spencer/Hill like comedy without Bud and Terence?

Oh and I'm also from Germany.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 08:29:50 AM »

Yeah, I think we have much in common, as if I had to reduce my island films to only one, it would be ... The Wild Bunch.
ah, my favorite film Smiley But I would refuse to go to the island. Would need Rio Bravo, Easy Rider and a few others first Smiley

He he, and if I had too chose an SW avatar I would have taken the same as yours. I like this special film still very much. Il mercenario is one of the great SW masterpieces, but not acknowledged as such by all fans. Which still puzzles me.
Yes. I never could understand why COMPANEROS could be rated as good (or better Wink.

God Forgives. You were involved in the latest german release, or you will do another release (the perfect release?) in the near future? Well, it is a cheap label, but I tried nevertheless to do as much as possible and it worked. The film is in sync now (finally) the subtitles are translated right this time, I made an 8-page booklet and threw in all extras I got: the rare 1969 'Django-trailer' and galleries with scarce first release material from all over the world. DVD looks good too, artwork is o.k., what more can you wish? (Brandnew HD transfer, i know..Smiley
I still have the Jewel Edition which is not perfect but good enough to enjoy. And as much as I have read, the latest release is not a great improvement, but preferable if you don't own the older release.

What about an uncut release of Boot Hill? There seems to be an italian version which is even longer than the extended german DVD.  Owned by 'cheap labels' again Sad Maybe someday, I'm tied up right now with my own films..

I know the Spencer/ Hill one but haven't seen it for a long time. I'm remembering it as their best next to the the ones by E.B. Clucher.  Absolutely. ZWEI HIMMELHUNDE is just great. Love it. (Extended version possible, hopefully next year)

The 5th I have never seen. It is a Spencer/Hill like comedy without Bud and Terence?
I saw that one 26 years ago. Not as good. But you can't make 5 great films in a row! Only Sergio can, and Sam & Kubrick Smiley

Oh and I'm also from Germany. Which town?

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »

1. Companeros has many brillant scenes which belong to the best in any SW, but ... but it has also several sloppy scenes and is in general more shallow than Il mercenario and Il grande silencio.
There was the potential for another masterpiece, but it seems that Corbucci was no longer interested to get the best out of a project.

2. Hmm, looks nice this new God Forgives DVD, and cheap it is also ...  maybe I'll buy it just for fun.

3. I live in a small town near Marburg. "Hessisch Sibirien" some say about Nordhessen, but thanks to all the students, Marburg saves the region for me.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »

Yes. I never could understand why COMPANEROS could be rated as good (or better Wink

It has a lot to do with the fact that Companeros is more accessible to the American public (there is a vast majority of SW lovers over here) than its cousin Il Mercenario.

I agree that the first of Corbucci's zapata trilogy (The third film being the not often seen What Am I doing In The Middle Of The Revolution?, which is good but very sloppy) is the best.

Stanton, you've convinced me.
I'll have to pick up a better copy of Colizzi's third western.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:06:29 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 10:58:29 AM »

Yes. I never could understand why COMPANEROS could be rated as good (or better Wink

It has a lot to do with the fact that Companeros is more accessible to the American public (there is a vast majority of SW lovers over here) than its cousin Il Mercenario.

I agree that the first of Corbucci's zapata trilogy (The third film being the not often seen What Am I doing In The Middle Of The Revolution?, which is good but very sloppy) is the best.

Stanton, you've convinced me.
I'll have to pick up a better copy of Colizzi's third western.

I think that, in addition of the good roles of Nero and Milian, the Morricone score was key for Compaņeros' success. I speculated recently that, had Long live your death a good Morricone score, it may have become more successful despite of its many moronic scenes.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »

I think that, in addition of the good roles of Nero and Milian, the Morricone score was key for Compaņeros' success.

But the score is great in both films!

And for me Milian's overacting is one of the problems of the film, whereas Musante gives a restraint and well balanced performance. Palance, who was fantastic in Il mercenario, is also clearly over the top, but somehow it doesn't hurt the film.

At least Il mercenario is the only one of the great spags who hasn't got a decent DVD release (except from Italy and the expensive japanese DVD), and the cut fullscreen versions around also don't help very much in building a reputation.
But the announced Koch DVD will change a lot.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »

But the score is great in both films!

And for me Milian's overacting is one of the problems of the film, whereas Musante gives a restraint and well balanced performance. Palance, who was fantastic in Il mercenario, is also clearly over the top, but somehow it doesn't hurt the film.

At least Il mercenario is the only one of the great spags who hasn't got a decent DVD release (except from Italy and the expensive japanese DVD), and the cut fullscreen versions around also don't help very much in building a reputation.
But the announced Koch DVD will change a lot.

Stanton, I agree with your comments. However, I was comparing Compaņeros with Viva la Muerte...Tua (Long Live Your Death), not with Il Mercenario  Wink.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2009, 03:32:50 AM »

The beginning (from start to the part when Hill and Spencer meet) is actually very good, but unfortunately La collina degli stivali later turns into just another mediocre SW with no regard for its own potential. I guess they did too much experimenting for it to be good for general taste, although one can easily sense there was sort of a noble idea around it. I'm thinking the director had too much of everything and at one point got carried away thinking he was gonna do who knows what, a great and very complex W, or something... and we all know a man's got to know his limitations. I think the mistake he payed most costly is the lack of a leading role; I confess at some point I was really thinking why do I have to watch Lionel Stander having such an extensive role. Still, LCDS has a couple of great scenes, there's a lot of happy smiling well known faces around, the set and costume design is here I'd say at the very peak of SW standards, and in the end the whole story is interesting enough to make you survive till the end.

(around) 6/10

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:37:41 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 06:56:06 AM »

Well, at least, you don't hate Boot Hill.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »

Other than the main theme I don't recall any memorable stick in your head cuts out of Companero's, I'll have to re watch with the score in mind.

But I'll agree The Mercenary is not very accessible in the US (no DVD release), but recently TCM showed it but I believe it was at 1AM or so.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »

Well, at least, you don't hate Boot Hill.

I don't.

And I forgot to add: the whole circus thing was, to my surprise, done very well. They didn't overuse it or make a laughter out of it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM