Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:56:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La collina degli stivali aka Boot Hill (1969)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La collina degli stivali aka Boot Hill (1969)  (Read 24358 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 06:04:06 AM »

oh by the way i recently pre-ordered THE GRAND DUEL and BEYOND THE LAW double LVC pack that wild east is putting out. it has wonderful cover art from what i see. and i love that tag-line at the top. if u guys are interested u should really check-up on it quick. because anything there on LVC is out of stock very soon after release.

I saw those too Hex, they should be good. Think I'll have to wait a bit though or my eye's 'll be constantly squinting like Clints  Grin

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 06:36:10 AM by Leone Admirer » Logged

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 07:10:48 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064175/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/terence2.htm

I see that many here consider it as the weakest of the Spencer-Hill pre-Trinity movies. In my opinion it is the best of the three. It has many defects but in spite of those it manages to come up with some good sequences, as noted in many of the comments at IMDB. I also agree this is worthy a remake, with a more balanced screenplay and better balanced score (I like the jazzy tune on the credits and the last one, but the rest is out of focus, like the sequences which mix up circus scenes and fight scenes). I like the final confrontation (with some original solutions, courtesy of the circus artists), expecially the barroom brawl which is really an anticipation of the Trinity movies to come, with Eastman doubling for Hill. I also like the fact that there is not a leading actor (Terence Hill has probably got less screen time than Stander) and that this is Strode's best performance. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 12:09:06 AM »

. In my opinion it is the best of the three.

Coming from you I will definatly have to take a look at this again because I could barely sit through this film.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 01:14:04 AM »

Reading reviews at IMDB I have the impression that there's a problem with (one of) the american release(s)?  And that almost all the negative opinions stem from that fact. I have seen a italian spoken version with some in german snippets cut from the italian original theatrical release (I saw it at the time, but figure...) which make the running time over 90'. Some american viewer says at IMDB he can't see Terence Hill speaking in some scenes as there's no light: in my copy everything is crystal clear.
(A curious thing for italian viewers is that Buono's chief sidekick is played by Glauco Onorato who was the dubber for Bud Spencer: in the movie he doubles for Bud and himself!!).
Anyway, though not perfect, the movie is head, if not even shoulder, above the other two which bored me after a promising start.   

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:24:34 AM by titoli » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 01:16:48 AM »

If it's my pan & scan copy that is the problem then perhaps I need to trade shobary for his pristine copy and have a look at it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 01:18:52 AM »

How long is your version? And does the hint about Hill speaking but not being seen check?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 03:48:01 AM »

''GERMAN SNIPPETS'':
I think you're referring this one

http://www.amazon.de/H%C3%BCgel-blutigen-Stiefel-3-DVDs/dp/B000BC9ZTE/sr=11-1/qid=1164104612/ref=sr_11_1/303-6275279-8733016

Gee, that's a long link. If it's not working, check or google    Amazon.de  //    TERENCE HILL   STIEFEL  3er DVD

I'm grateful for that one, over here we had problems with this film (as withall COLIZZIs): The version from 1969 is lost since the film was recut and re-dubbed in the 70's. Fortunately the film played in East Germany and that is the dubbing that was used on DVD. There three versions:  1.) the 95min (I'm referring to NTSC length!) uncut version 2.) an extended version, 98min. which includes some scenes that popped up in the 70's recut version but not in the 69 version. Always speaking of Germany here. These scenes have no english soundtrack and are of bad quality - see:  3.) the recut 'comedy' version. 'funny' redubbed dialogue, taken from an old VHS-tape.. Never saw that never will...
You can also see my Lobby Cards & posters and that Box..

I love Colizzi. To some he might be boring, not to me. Come to think of it, they a bit slower on TV than they did in the teatres. Like Sergio's films, they belong to the big Screen ! (!)   I think he was Leone's best student. The photography (composition, angles, lenses, framing) tops almost everything in the genre. HILL is my favorite in Italian Westerns, he moves like a cat, does his own stunts (like Belmondo, another one of my heros), looks very handsome, has the best costumes (especially hats) and plays it really cool. Believable cool, at least in my opinion. I can't stand Steffen or some of these guys who look phony to me. No, I think the Colizzis are amng the best. And COLLINA DEGLI STIVALI is almost an experimental film. As mentioned, the leading has not that much screen time and the almost no dialogue at all during the first 20 minutes! Also, like MERCENARIO, it treats the CIRCUS-theme very well. The score is weird and just great. Cool film.

I just restored for myself I QUATTRO DELL AVE MARIA. The German version had 50 cuts!
Great film.

[/img]

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 05:55:47 AM »

The German version had 50 cuts!

A world record?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 06:04:20 AM »

Many interesting things in your post, expecially Eli Wallach being billed before Hill and Spencer. I disagree about Colizzi, Boot Hill demonstrates that he can do very good things (I especially like the guns under the seats sequence, unfortunately not abetted by an effective musical tune) and very bad (the murder of the trapezist is very badly shot and edited: no dramatic at all). I think he had a very good screenplay but didn't get from it all there was. And about the other two, we all seem to agree here that they are not that good.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 05:37:49 AM »

If it's my pan & scan copy that is the problem then perhaps I need to trade shobary for his pristine copy and have a look at it.
I remember when the BBC regularly used to show reasonable prints(yes,pan & Scan) of the whole Colizzi trilogy in the late 70's/early 80's and for me Boot Hill was always the tedious one-way way overlong and BORING Sad
Mike Siegal have you seen Colizzi's All The Way Boys starring Terence & Bud?I'm a huge fan of their more comtemporary films but this has got to be one of the most dull,tedious and above all totally unfunny comedy i've seen with the duo.
Contrast this with Watch Out,We're Mad made in the following year which for me is one of the greatest comedies of all time   Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »

I'm grateful for that one, over here we had problems with this film (as withall COLIZZIs):

Actually the "Ace High" dvd that came out in the States a year and a half ago is as good as it gets. Widescreen and pristine picture.

Too bad the movie isn't up to snuff. It's not bad but it ain't great. Colizzi is just one notch above the poor sw directors.

Titoli: I'll answer your question when I get back from work (If I do).

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 03:26:45 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 09:45:47 AM »

I think it's always nice to hang out with fellow movie buffs who represent a total opposite opinion. I never discuss WILD BUNCH with fellow Peckinpah-fans since we all know it's impeccable, so where's the point?

Banjo, it's funny: ALL THE WAY, BOYS (Piu Forte, ragazzi), is my favorite Hill non-western. Colizzi never made comedies, basically adventure pics with lots of humor. BOYS is so unique - not many major pictures have been shot in Columbia. And it's about aviation which I love (only when it comes to OLD planes, 'just like in the picture.). Maybe I'm too romantic.
But I heard the film is not playing well in english anyway. Cut too I suppose. The German dubbing (and the Italian too) is hilarious. Very subtile funny dialogue. A friend recently restored it for German aficionados: The German version is/was 10 minutes longer than the Italian (!), BUT the Italian has some 10 minutes not in the German print. GREAT FILM Smiley

WATCH OUT I like too. Next to Corbucci's first with them (EVEN & UNEVEN?) and CRIMEBUSTERS the best. But they became more and more childrens pictures, which was the goal of the two, who both hate violence in films.

As for me, I rather cross the desert with Cat & Hutch... Smiley

[/img]

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 10:25:18 AM »

Siegel, does Hill dub himself in the german releases? And are there filmed interviews in german by him? I'm curious to listen to him speaking in his mother tongue (which he says he speaks better than italian).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »

How long is your version? And does the hint about Hill speaking but not being seen check?

94 minutes long.

Hill speaking but not seeing checks out as well.

The beginning is by far the worst spot in the film, it's total darkness for 5 minutes.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »

Thanx. Not that I think that a better release can alter yours and Banjo's opinion. To me the superiority of this is so apparent that if somebody doesn't grab it at first sight, however impaired by a bad release quality, then never will. But it's all in the game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM