Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:58:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bad Man's River (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad Man's River (1971)  (Read 18791 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2005, 08:30:57 PM »

Bad Man's River (1971) Rented this VHS tape, just because it was there and I told myself I should take a look,  Lee Van Cleef, James Mason, Gina Lollobrigida, Eduardo Fajardo, Gianni Garko, Aldo Sambrell

Sort of a comedy western with a chorus singing along with the action I'm sure some of you here will absolutely adore it (banjo here your cue), lol, have at it I say, definitely a cut slightly above Captain Apache, it even has a toy steamboat shot to represent a real one. Thumbs down from me.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 06:12:29 AM »

It's amusing for Sartana/Sabata fans to see LVC and Garko together, and can be entertaining if you have a high threshold of tolerance for silly, but for Leone-Lovers  it's certainly not recommended.  I thought I told you, joe, that unless an astonishingly good copy crossed your path astonishingly cheaply, you shouldn't bother.   

I know, I know, lol, but I have this rental place where I can get 3 films for three nights for $4.95 and the other two were Italian horror flick "I'm Not Scared", and spy spoof "Modesty Blaise"  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:26:58 AM »

C'mon Cigar Joe,can you honestly put Bad Mans River or Captain Apache which i totally agree are  CRAP in the same bracket as the movies we have had a difference of opinion over?
I'm on the same side as you regarding promoting SW's that i've seen and  feel passionately about in terms of quality and enterntainment.
I'm not a huge fan of Blindman(still pretty good- by the way isn't the blind gunslinger concept a bit too UNrealistic for your often stated criteria?) but i agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your "A" list so we are not exactly poles apart just because i also happen to like Django,Navajo Joe etc.
One things for sure though,i definately would not waste my hard earned cash to rent such crud like Bad Mans River or Captain Apache when i can put it towards that next quality SW.There has been enough written about these 2 movies,Cigar Joe,to give you an inkling that they would not make your "A" list.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:15:24 AM by banjo » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 01:35:06 AM »

I was just flicking through the Sky digital channel this morning whilst tucking into my brekkie when i stumbled upon Lee Van Cleef and Gianni Garko on Open Access 2(channel 262) starring in the somewhat less than good Bad Mans River in widescreen.Its being repeated at 2.10pm later on today so i'll be taping over my pan & scan copy!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 01:58:48 AM »

thanks banjo i got to see it. very fast paced.

That could just be cannon fire.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 06:38:09 AM »

Its probably not quite as dreadful as people say it is although for a comedy its pretty unfunny.I only watched the beginning of it yesterday,but left it recording,and i do find the constant freeze frames annoying and LVC waltzing with another man hard to take-no homophobia intended but it is rather embarrasing and uncool to say the least.Lots of people have found the storyline unfathomable but funnily enough i don't remember having a problem in this respect.Definately a SW for completists only i'd say!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 12:07:08 PM »

yeah i'd agree with that. its not great but i'm glad i watched it.

That could just be cannon fire.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 10:24:08 AM »

Good thing is they repeat stuff regularly so it should appear again!!  problem is they never advertise in advance, so i usually miss their films.   Cry

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 11:00:06 AM »

Yeau the only way around this is to look a week ahead on the sky guide using the remote!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 11:23:48 AM »

Cheesy Why didn't I think of that?Huh

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 11:28:19 AM »

I've been doing this to find out ITV4's SW every Sunday night,a week in advance.
Marco theres New Year TV Guides floating around apparently and do you know the 9th and final SW to be shown on New Years Day by any chance?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »

No, I meant to have a look and forgot!  i'm betting on Great Silence.  Its sure to be a big one. 

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 04:03:15 AM »

On Sunday the 1st of Jan 2006 its Alex Cox introduces tonight's film Keoma, which follows on ITV 4. Hope this helps  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 06:01:28 AM »

I suppose its quite fitting to show probably the last true classic SW as the last in ITV4 great SW season!!

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 06:48:45 PM »

When I first heard about this movie I thought to myself wow any flick with Lee Van Cleef and James Mason in it has got to be a bit of quality, well you know where thought got you.
This movie is bad and looks hacked to peices anyone know how bad it was butchered and if there was any point in filming it in the first place, it would be of intrest to know if the original screenplay was a half decent tale

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM