Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 03:47:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Joe Kidd (1972)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joe Kidd (1972)  (Read 8313 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »

Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull... Just how dull is this movie? No wonder I saw in on TV only once in all these years.

It is mediocre at best, on a good day I'd say. It's thoroughly passionless, though that doesn't come as a surprise I suppose. I really don't understand what were the Americans thinking taking and ruining all those great concepts from various SW like this? It would appear it was okay for them to just fool around with them without a real plan, they must have thought it was enough. Maybe they thought it was... cool?

Eastwood painfully bad here.

4/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »

And the sad part is that this was actually done in the 70s, not a decade before... What were they thinking?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 06:11:44 AM »

And no: Joe Kidd is a remake of Il Grande Silenzio as much as it is a remake of The Magnificent Seven. It's nonsense, what mike said is probably the truth.

Go home, kid(d).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »

Just saw the movie.

I enjoyed the early scenes, and the Western town set (the American town used in the beginning and end, not the Mexican town used in the middle) is absolutely amazing. I read it was done in Old Tuscon; I believe that is where they did LAST TRAIN FROM GUN HILL. It was a great set. So for the beginning and end scenes, this is nice to look at, but that's all. The scenes in the Mexican town were not very interesting.

Nice ending with the train  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »

I rewatched this having not seen it in years.
Better than I remembered. It is actually quite good up until they reach the Iglesias, then it kinda falls down.

You have to haNd it to Clint: his bad-ass charisma  is so powerful that even a mediocre flick like this holds your attention.
hIS SUIT IS ALSO WAY COOL Cool

fyi Intrada record label has released the soundtrack - finally! It is quite good (sounds like Dirty Harry in places) and contains much music not heard in the film.
bruce marshall

ps i have NEVER, EVER heard the story about THE GREAT SILENCE!!!!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:14:47 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »

I avoided this for years and years but gave it a shot knowing that any western starring Eastwood written by Elmore Leonard (in whatever capacity) is worth seeing. I would have thrown John Sturges some love as well but his later work isn't up to snuff with the prime stuff.

It definitely exceeded my relatively low expectations. The only fatal flaw is that the movie is way too rushed and the plotting should have been handled more delicately. Usually with movies, it's the adverse, in which 40-60 mins of plot is stretched out into 100+ mins. This could have been much better if they took their time starting from when Eastwood joins up with Duvall and his crew. If I was running a studio, this is the type of movie that I'd remake.

I've known about The Great Silence connections for quite some time, and I honestly didn't see any striking similarities. I think the look of Joe Kidd was probably trying to resemble Silence in some ways but the settings are entirely different, with Kidd obviously lacking snow. On the subject of locations, Lone Pine was used pretty damn well. Sure, not as masterful as the Boetticher movies but it's always nice revisiting that setting.

7/10, probably not worth revisiting but it moves at a breakneck pace and it was entertaining. 

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 07:03:28 AM »

I like the photogenic and atmospheric settings in parts of this. My bloodlust was well and truly satisfied as there aren't may left standing by the end of the film. I'm still wondering how Clint Eastwood manoeuvred his way through the lot of them. Good tough guy acting by him and Robert Duvall, John Saxon and Don Stroud.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM