Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2020, 01:55:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Joe Kidd (1972)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Joe Kidd (1972)  ( 14288 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #30 : October 24, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »

Cinesavant: https://trailersfromhell.com/joe-kidd/

Thanks nice critique.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #31 : October 26, 2020, 02:31:09 AM »

Yeah, very interesting, and it pretty much tells why the film is such a disappointment despite all the expectations one could have with all the names involved.

But the Box office conclusion is only correct, and that means here it is completely wrong, if you only take the income without considering the inflation adjustment. Inflation adjusted other Sturges westerns were much more successful.
But taking the figures I have Joe Kidd made rather disturbingly as much money in the US as the first 2 Dollar films.
And less than High Plain's Drifter from the same year.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #32 : October 26, 2020, 03:13:06 AM »

It's been awhile since I was analysing Eastwood's American Westerns but they always came down to him never having one very strong central villain to play against.

Missing the Leone "touch", fatal flaws in Clints American westerns
here is the link: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=148.0

« : October 26, 2020, 03:49:57 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #33 : October 26, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »

It's true, the antagonists in most of Eastwood's westerns are far from impressive, and Joe Kidd must be blamed for underusing the charismatic Duvall, but at least with Hackman, who is fantastic (as always) in Unforgiven, he did not made the same mistake.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #34 : October 27, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »

Cinesavant passes along a trailer for the first Winnetou film, which provides what might have been the inspiration for the locomotive gag at the end of Joe Kidd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHiEKkkDMLQ&feature=youtu.be&t=252

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #35 : November 10, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Joe-Kidd-Blu-ray/270445/#Review
According to Stroud, once shooting began a lot of people failed to stay focused and could not perform their duties properly. Sturges was one of them. On top of this, Sturges and Clint Eastwood never really warmed up to each other and spent a lot of precious time arguing. Creative differences? Most likely. But Stroud also carefully suggests that they just did not like each other. Naturally, the shooting process was a perpetual struggle for both men and, according to Stroud, the main reason why Joe Kidd did not turn out as it should. Stroud also states that Eastwood should have directed Joe Kidd because he understood its characters better than Sturges did, and likely would have made it similar to the films that established him as one of the finest directors in America. Is this a legit claim? Well, it is an undisputed fact that all of the westerns Eastwood directed are in fact better than Joe Kidd.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stroud's recollections are truthful because Joe Kidd looks exactly as he characterizes it -- a film of dueling visions and many missed opportunities. Consider the following examples: even before the bounty hunter (Eastwood) is hired by Frank Harlan (Robert Duvall) to help him track down Luis Chama (John Saxon), you can feel that the tone of the film is shaky. Indeed, humorous situations are repeatedly countered with dramatic situations that are clearly incompatible with the type of buildup the script demands. How do we know this? Watch how the bounty hunter shines in situations that are practically meaningless. Now compare the bounty hunter's enthusiasm after he switches sides and begins killing Harlan's men. It is poor and just does not feel right. And what exactly motivates his transformation? Harlan's personality? The cruelty of his men? Chama's idealism? It is impossible to tell.

Harlan's characterization is quite problematic as well. No, it is not difficult to accept that a nasty man like him would have done the things he does after the hunt begins. The problem is, he is so transparent that it is awfully difficult to accept that he could have had a business relationship with the bounty hunter. In fact, it is absolutely impossible to see it as legit, which is precisely why the bounty hunter tries to sell it differently with his belated confession that he made a "mistake".

Then there is Chama's decision to walk away from his men and go back with the bounty hunter to face the legal system that has made him a fugitive. Why does he do it? Because the bounty hunter guns down a couple of Harlan's men and then convinces him that it is the best move for his cause? Think about it. Harlan and his men take over the small town, the sheriff and judge become irrelevant, but Chama agrees to go back and settle a legal dispute in the local courthouse. It makes no sense.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines