Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:01:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Boyhood (2014)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boyhood (2014)  (Read 2379 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »

This marks the first time ever where me and the "important awards people" agree on the best film of the year.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

This marks the first time ever where me and the "important awards people" agree on the best film of the year.

* "the important awards people" and I

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

* "the important awards people" and I

Oh, suckacock!!!!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »

Oh, suckacock!!!!

Only if you're black. I have a refined palette.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/10/the-making-of-boyhood-richard-linklater-s-12-year-journey-to-create-an-american-masterpiece.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »

I just saw the movie, on DVD.

I give it a 9/10

I am sure everyone will find something in there that they can relate to in some way. I definitely did. Not necessarily that anything that happened to these characters actually happened to me, but maybe that I wish they had happened to me or maybe I am afraid they'll happen to me, etc.
I don't have any firm rules about whether cinema should or shouldn't be about realism. There have been some very good movies that were interested in realism, and some very good movies that weren't. I don't like making firm rules about what a movie should or shouldn't be about; I just know that I liked the result here.

RE: what n_ said earlier, that "the amplor and difficulty of executing the concept has usually very little to do with the value of the result" as a general point that is correct, but I enjoyed this movie very much. Could it have been just as good if they had shot it conventionally, over three straight months, using different actors to play the young characters at different ages? Maybe. For me, the greatness of this movie is not (entirely) due to the shtick of doing it over 12 years with the same actors. Maybe knowing that they did that made me like it more, but this movie has a lot going for it besides merely that novelty of the way it was filmed.

For anyone who thinks about life, about passage of time, childhood, adulthood, of dreams and regrets, emotions, etc. I think you'll find something to relate to here. If you had a perfect life if you grew up rich in a stable family and experienced no difficulties or regrets or pain of any sort and life has been so great you wouldn't change a thing then maybe you wouldn't enjoy this. But how many people can say that? This may affect everyone in a different way (I guess all art does) but I'd definitely recommend that everyone see it (unless you're CJ who has no use for non-noir-drama but somehow gave a piece of shit like The Judge an 8/10; or n_l, who decides before he sees the movie that he won't like its camerawork, and who is gonna be unhappy cuz the movie uses realistic color [IMO a movie like this has to use realistic color]).

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:28:29 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM