Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 05:51:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears  (Read 12621 times)
HEX
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »

U GOT JONATHAN OF THE BEARS!

DEAR GOD MAN! that is incredibly hard to find! ive been looking for just one price tag on it for about two years now. where did u buy it. ebay i would assume?

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 12:54:06 AM »

i got it too.
i'm not talking about selling my dvds merely trading copies. not that i would subscribe to bootleging of course!

That could just be cannon fire.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 04:29:14 AM »

Indio - I wouldn't have a problem with trading  Wink - particularly if the films are not commercially available - but unfortunately I don't have a dvd burner.   Cry

Hex - Jonathan of the Bears used to be available regularly on ebay in the uk - a copy obviously.  Great film.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 05:05:22 AM »

Indio i don't have a burner either but i reckon you should contact that Ebay seller,my copy of Providence(and i guess all others)came sleeveless, hence the price of 2 plus 1.60 postage.
Marco,i also got Jonathan of the Bears for 2.00(again sleevelss) from the same place but was put off the Belle Starr Story by what i'd read on IMDB.com for lack of reviews elsewhere.I've been selective in trying to get the better titles first although in view of your viewing backlog i'm begining to think that your system of spreading out the good with the bad is better.One SW i'm quite keen to get hold of is Johhny Yuma.Did you pay the full price from Wildeast,or get a much cheaper copy of Ebay?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 05:15:21 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised by Belle Starr.  Partly because the lead lady was very tasty!  Also it had George Eastman in it, and he is always pretty good.  It was a film that I didn't think would be that great but really enjoyed it when it came up top of the pile!

Mine is the Wild East original of Johnny Yuma.  I tend to buy things legit when they are available, and copies when not.  Its a "must view" in my opinion.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 05:38:34 AM »

Yeau i really like the sound of Johnny Yuma from what i've read elsewhere.
Talking about tasty leading ladies,from looking at your list,i was surprised not to see Viva Maria(Bridgitte Bardot and the other i can't remember) there because this was shown on BBC2 last year.Although there are a couple of (quite bearable)musical numbers there are some definate big parelells here with Corbucci's mercenary type westerns in style and set pieces and i've read he was inspired by Viva Maria.
I'm gonna have to check my list to see if there is anything else i have which you 've not got!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 05:43:37 AM »

Ah, I never read the TV listings so I only find films by accident normally hehe.  So thats why I would have missed out on that one!

I'm still waiting for them to show El Condor again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 11:00:53 PM »

Watched this on TCM the other day, nothing special, very very loose with historical accuracy a light SW romp with little style, watchable. Anthony Quinn wasted in a mute role, Franco being Franco, could have been much better IMO.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 11:38:13 PM »

I had similar thoughts on it, but I did enjoy it for what it was....a good old popcorn movie with some good action and what I thought were some pretty funny one-liners.  I thought it was hilarious how Nero "Johnny Ears" suddenly learned how to be an acrobat in the final battle, felt like something out of the Sabata trilogy.

And as long as we're on the subject, I have a question about the ending, one I also put up over at the SWWB.  At the end, why does Nero yell "Deaf" like he does?  I'm assuming Deaf decided to leave Johnny and Suzie to their lives, especially since he left his watch that Johnny wanted.

I'm only asking because of the distress in Nero's voice, almost as if something possibly happened to his friend Deaf, a la The Ghost and the Darkness.   Or it could just be he's worried/sad because he's lost his best friend.  Thoughts?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 11:41:51 PM »

DAMMIT!!! I forgot that the spaghettis were on the other day!!!!   Angry   Angry   Angry   Angry

I want to kick myself in times like this.

Tim
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 11:50:48 PM »

So Peacemaker, I take it you haven't seen Guns for San Sebastian or Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears?  If you're interested, check out TCM's website and search the schedule.  They usually show San Sebastian a couple times a year, but this was the first time I'd seen Deaf Smith on their schedule.

Both are worth seeing, if for nothing else other than Anthony Quinn in both movies.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »

Both are worth seeing, if for nothing else other than Anthony Quinn in both movies.

I like Anthony Quinn too.   Sad

I completely forgot about the movies. I had to take a huge Biology Regents exam ( which I probably did atrocious on ) so I was studying.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 03:51:49 AM »

Watched this on TCM the other day, nothing special, very very loose with historical accuracy a light SW romp with little style, watchable. Anthony Quinn wasted in a mute role, Franco being Franco, could have been much better IMO.
I'd go along with that but i thought the way Nero poked fun at his Django persona by struggling with the machine gun was amusing. Smiley

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 06:24:48 AM »

My thoughts were as follows :

"Set in 1830's Texas, Erastus 'Deaf' Smith (Anthony Quinn) is an ageing but trusted spy for the president, despite the obvious handicap of being a deaf mute. His friend and companion is the sexually charged Spaniard Johnny Ears (Franco Nero), seemingly on a constant mission to obtain another notch on his bed post (or should I say, someone elses!). Infact, unlike your usual Spaghetti Western hero, he is probably more likely to be found in bed than in a bar brawl or gunfight.

The two have been sent by the president to halt the uprising down south, where a rebel by the name of Morton is rallying a rebellion to create independence and domination, with the help of German backing.

The whole emphasis of the story is the great bond between Nero and Quinn, which is quite enjoyable throughout. Comically, Johnny Ears is constantly throwing stones at the laid back Smith in order to get his attention. Ears' relationship with the luscious local whore Susie (Pamela Tiffin) is also a fine display of character play, as their interplay changes from flirtation to sexual tension, and from lust to love. Hell, by the end, Ears seems willing to quit his womanising ways and settle down with the blonde beauty.

There are entertaining one-liners throughout (all obviously left to Nero, who is in fine comic form). As for Quinn, the whole idea that a deaf gunhand can survive and be held in such esteem is entertaining in itself (as he walks away completely unaware of the explosions metres behind him, and sneaks up on opponents oblivious to the fact that the bells on a whores garter - given to him whilst he awaited the return of the promiscuous Ears from the local brothel - are jangling together).

Aside from these highlights, the film is fairly average fare. At times Smith's inability to communicate can be as frustrating to the viewer as it must be to Smith himself. The Director does however highlight this disability to some effect, with silence at any time when the story is shown from Smith's eyes. Too much weight is also placed on the final action-packed climax, which goes on for an age with a maximum explosion count (although it does contain a priceless moment when Ears is unable to operate the enemies' machine gun - a skill mastered to great effect by Nero's Django).

In summary, this is an entertaining little film, high on cheese but low on substance. And there are days when that is exactly the sort of "popcorn" movie that you want to watch. If you are in that mood (I was) you will probably enjoy it (I did!). But it is definitely more "watchable" than "recommended".

Marco Leone Rating - ** (2/4 - Watchable)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 06:42:25 AM »

And as long as we're on the subject, I have a question about the ending, one I also put up over at the SWWB.  At the end, why does Nero yell "Deaf" like he does?  I'm assuming Deaf decided to leave Johnny and Suzie to their lives, especially since he left his watch that Johnny wanted.

I'd assume that too, I suppose he yelled "Deaf " because of concern for his friend, basically how will he get by without a buddy to look out for him.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM