Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:25:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tuco or Juan
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tuco or Juan  (Read 18932 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2006, 09:01:14 PM »

I know I am not an authority to rewrite or rethink Sergio's
stuff.

neither am I. But that is the wonders of THIS film forum. you can state your opinions and suggestions no matter how ridiculous and you still wont get shot down by some arse(well...most of the time anyway).

As for your Brando being a mexican Idea...I would have to disagree. Brando looked awful as Pancho Villa in "viva zapata",(was it? cant recall name sorry. havent seen it in years) that fake nose was ridiculous!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2006, 11:07:10 PM »

He was playing Emiliano Zapata, you should check it out again if you get a chance he does a great job, its a good film about Zapata and Anthony Quinn is great as his brother Efumio.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »

He was playing Emiliano Zapata, you should check it out again if you get a chance he does a great job, its a good film about Zapata and Anthony Quinn is great as his brother Efumio.

it was "viva zapata" I was talking about right?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 11:45:03 PM »

Yea its Viva Zapata, but he also did The Appaloosa where he is a half breed Mexican, you didn't mix the two up did you, one is a Western the other is more a historical bio pic. Kazan did a great job depicting Mexican customs in Viva Zapata, your appreciation of it may change with a few more viewings.  Cool

« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 11:46:39 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2006, 11:49:10 PM »

Yea its Viva Zapata, but he also did The Appaloosa where he is a half breed Mexican, you didn't mix the two up did you, one is a Western the other is more a historical bio pic. Kazan did a great job depicting Mexican customs in Viva Zapata, your appreciation of it may change with a few more viewings.  Cool

Not sure if I mixed the two up...which one is the one that he has a fake nose in?

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2006, 10:21:44 AM »

As for your Brando being a mexican Idea...I would have to disagree. Brando looked awful as Pancho Villa in "viva zapata",(was it? cant recall name sorry. havent seen it in years) that fake nose was ridiculous!

Don't forget that the director would still have been Sergio who was a very demanding person able to turn average actor into good and able to transform actor usually plaing comedy into great tragedian and vice versa, we could call this the Leone magnificence. And Brando had the skills to perform the role I have in mind: i think it would have been his most engaged role. Brando is great in Apocalypse Now, but he's got a gourou role:as great but less demanding.In my vision we would have had a Brando suffering the revolution (and not just a caricature of Zapata or Villa that is why I wrote 'a local rebel'), bleeding, killing, covered by the mud, in great fight scenes, praying not be killed or for his friends or family, saving partners and villains in a fantastic cleaver scene. A hero and a martyr, but still conscious of the crazyness of the situation such as Commandant Marcos in Mexico, 10 years ago. I agree with leone vision: most of the time the revolution does not lead to anything. But if you don't do anything, the same weird people are still imposing their bad stuff. I think it would have been great to film this vision as well. It is more or less the role that would have had De Niro in the 900 days of Leningrad (quoted in Conversation avec Sergio Leone).
And I would definitely have shot that in black and white or sepia and keep the colour for the flashback.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 11:01:46 AM by roberti » Logged

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »

I would of course pick Tuco and I think Wallach as Juan would have been great but we shall never know.
Now although Duck you Sucker is not at the top of my list of Leone films I would say this, Steiger at first brought shivers of horror out in me but unlike other Leone movies Duck you sucker needs a lot more than a couple of viewings and obviously the full length versions is a must, its then you realise what a great job Stieger made of Juan, Leone may have had his problems with Rod at the start of the movie but he has that expressive face that works on all levels and he threw his all into the movie, the way Steiger carries Juan through the stages of crafty banditery right through to a disillusioned revolutionary who has lost everything must rank as one of this actors greatest achivements and it had a lasting effect catch Steigers later roles and Juan pops up all over the place.
Duck you sucker to me is a good movie but if Leone had captured the same spirit as OUATITW it would have been outstanding     

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 07:52:12 AM »

I probably posted on this thread before, if so I'm sorry.  However, I have to say that Tuco is way better for numerous reasons.  Namely, the character is more interesting and well-portrayed.  Nothing against Rod, he's a great actor even if I'm not too big a fan, but Wallach was a much more convincing Mexican than Rod with his hysterical Italo-Russian accent.  Tuco was a more carnivalesque character throughout, whereas Juan was a more human and realistic character (at least as he developed), so I don't think they can be easily compared in that way.  But definitely Tuco.  Rod as Komarovsky in "Doctor Zhivago", however. . . then maybe you have a case.  Grin 

Saturday nights with Groggy
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 10:42:08 AM »

sorry guys, dont buy into this "steiger's shit accent adds to the film" school of thought. OTT personified, not Steiger's finest hour.

I think the point is that Wallach never really tries to do an authentic Mexican accent.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Prabal
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 02:20:32 AM »

Dont know if this point has been made already......so apologies if it undeed has been made. Tuco, for me, absolutely nails all the emotions perfectly. Someboydy here opined that Tuco goes after money only. But, in my view, the scene in which he is talking to Blondie and praising his brother to the skies when he(Padre Ramirez) had only some time ago expressed his absolute contempt for Tuco(to change his mind, later) shows his human side too...The slightly pensive music playing in the background too makes it one of the best scenes in arguably the best movie ever made.

this, however, is not to run down Steiger's effort who was good in DYS. However, Tuco to me is way better than Steiger and perhaps most memorable movie character ever.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »

on a somewhat related note, Leone originally wanted Jason Robards to play Sean. Waddaya say to that idea?

In my opinion, Coburn was terrific as Sean, even though his Irish accent was not very good.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »

Tuco, for sure.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM