Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:35:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Almost Spaghetti?:Guide to Leone influenced Euro & American Westerns
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost Spaghetti?:Guide to Leone influenced Euro & American Westerns  (Read 44413 times)
HEX
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »

John Eastwood? That's hysterical! Grin

I knew that names were changed to make it seem more American to Italian audiences, but I figured most of those would have been changed back. But of course, since this guy made a lot of movies under aliases. From the look of the movie, I had assumed that an American was trying to do the work of an Italian. Cheesy

what i dont understand is this film was made in the late seventies. by then itailians have come to grips about the whole lie about youre name thing. why did this guy keep using a fake name? something to do with a contract thing maybe?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2005, 08:42:12 AM »

Hex,i love both High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider.Eastwood maybe less likeable in the former but for most of his actions in the former i think he was completely justified,and what he did with the dwarf character was just brilliant!

HEX
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2005, 08:45:52 AM »

Hex,i love both High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider.Eastwood maybe less likeable in the former but for most of his actions in the former i think he was completely justified,and what he did with the dwarf character was just brilliant!

yes i agree with u. those town folk got what they deserved. he gave them "hell"( Grin).

but i hear that PALE RIDER is just a (for like of a better word) pale( Grin) sloppy version of DRIFTER.

is this true? and which is better?

Christopher
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2005, 08:49:56 AM »

I'd say Pale Rider is a combination between Shane and High Plains Drifter. The basic plot is from Shane. That is, if someone wanting the land of all the people in the small town. Obviously, the idea of a gunslinger (or whoever it may be, within whatever genre) coming into a town to save the day has been with us for a long time.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2005, 08:53:37 AM »

There are parellels but the Eastwood character(he's unmistakenly a good guy here) and much more involved storyline are certainly not imitations of High Plains Drifter.I'd say go it a go-Eastwood(initially a preacher?)is pure class here and the villains are alot more convincing.

HEX
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2005, 08:58:24 AM »

There are parellels but the Eastwood character(he's unmistakenly a good guy here) and much more involved storyline are certainly not imitations of High Plains Drifter.I'd say go it a go-Eastwood(initially a preacher?)is pure class here and the villains are alot more convincing.

yes i will give it a try. but i might as well buy it. i cant stand the lousy pan and scan of television. and i have seen some bits of PALE RIDER myself, only a few minutes however, i quickly shut it off because it was in a night scene and i could not see a thing.

have u noticed that night scenes are not well lit in westerns? u normally cant see anything.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:00:39 AM by HEX » Logged
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:07 AM »

I'm glad that Tombstone is in the good section, I do enjoy that western. I love Open Range also. The funny thing is, I'm about to watch Back To The Future Part III and I wonder if that is the first example of a main stream film (apart from Part II) that directly referances Leone's films? I bet there were some previously.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2005, 01:53:25 AM »

I'm glad that Tombstone is in the good section, I do enjoy that western. I love Open Range also. The funny thing is, I'm about to watch Back To The Future Part III and I wonder if that is the first example of a main stream film (apart from Part II) that directly referances Leone's films? I bet there were some previously.
There are other references to the SW showdowns including Terence Hill donning a huge stake in a motorcycle showdown in Watch Out We're Mad and in Kellys Heroes(which i haven't seen)  Eastwood is involved in a tank showdown,apparently.
Can anyone else think of other examples in movies other than westerns?

HEX
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:14 PM »

There are other references to the SW showdowns including Terence Hill donning a huge stake in a motorcycle showdown in Watch Out We're Mad and in Kellys Heroes(which i haven't seen)  Eastwood is involved in a tank showdown,apparently.
Can anyone else think of other examples in movies other than westerns?

a war film called ENEMY AT THE GATES(with JUDE LAW, ED HARRIS and RACHAEL WEISZ Kiss) it is mostly about two WW2 sharpshooters who become rivals. one is a russian(LAW as the hero) and a nazi(HARRIS as..well...the villian....not much else for nazi's in the movie buissness Grin). the two face off in many(what can be called) showdowns. and the climax is more apparent to a showdown then the other confrontations.

the film came out in the WW2 movie craze after SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. i can recommend the film it is very well directed and suspenseful.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:45:45 PM by HEX » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2005, 03:20:58 AM »

Hex,i just had a thought from one of your posts about the bean eating in the Trinity type films and also the baby farting in Trinity Is Still My Name.
There is the famous scene in Blazing Saddles with the massed baked bean eating and farting and i wonder if you could say this was influenced by the SW's?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2005, 06:08:15 AM »

I agree with Hex, Enemy At The Gates is an excellent if flawed movie. Blazing Saddles I love that films "He Rode a Blazing Saddle!"

HEX
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:59 AM »

"He Rode a Blazing Saddle!"

he wore a shining star. Grin

BANJO i cant say if BLAZING SADDLES was influenced by sw's. personal in my opinion i dont think so. i think that the bean eating scene was just a coincidence. and i am sure that beans have been eaten in many american westerns. BROOKS was just trying to show what would really happen if these guys ate nothing but beans all day.

since BLAZING SADDLES has been brought up i will take the time to put my two cents in the film real quick. i think the film is wonderfully funny but vastly overated. it has been called  "THE FUNNIEST FILM OF ALL TIME" and i think there are many comedies much funnier than this.
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN suffers from the same over hyped reviews(but still is a very entertaining film). personally i think MEL BROOKS best comedy was SPACEBALLS(but that might have something to do with me being a STAR WARS nut Grin). it is a shame BROOKS has not been doing anything latley.
it seems that after DRACULA:DEAD AND LOVING IT, he just died off into oblivion there was talk about SPACBALLS 2 about a year ago but it seems as if that slipped through the cracks.

HOLLYWOOD is remaking his film now THE PRODUCERS. which if it does well(which i doubt) that will bring an unslought of other BROOKS remakes (unfortunatly) but hopefully the remakes of his films will force him to come out with SPACBALLS 2.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 07:51:01 AM by HEX » Logged
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2005, 05:57:39 AM »

The thing with Brooks is, I didn't realise Anne Bancroft (Mrs Robinson) was his wife till I saw a news announcement on her death   Embarrassed

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »

Didn't know that either.As suggested i perhaps better not include Blazing Saddles on the strength of the farting scene but i'm still not sure about Back to tht Future 3.I think its probably more of a sci-fi than a western,so perhaps not!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 11:58:56 AM »

I see what you mean about BTTF 3, I think it is leaning more to the Sci Fi side but the Western elements are very enjoyable.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM