Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:09:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  God's Gun (1976)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Gun (1976)  (Read 10413 times)
HEX
« on: October 30, 2005, 01:35:19 PM »

last night i was rummaging through my sw dvd collection and i came upon my horrible pan and scan transfers of KID VENGEANCE and GODS GUN. so i decided to give these a try after having not seen them for about a year and calling them the worst two sw i have ever seen(and probably the worst out there).

this is what i thought....

KID VENGEANCE is still a horrible piece of shite. this was my second viewing of the film and my last viewing.

GODS GUN however somewhat grew o me last night and i saw it in a different light....

the story was charming enough for it to be in the watchable section of youre sw collection. the only reason to see the film is VAN CLEEF and PALANCE. VAN CLEEFS awful hair pieces are hilarious to see.

i am not going to go into a review. i will just say that it is an entertaining enough movie. and i wouldnt mind buying it again if given a nice remastering by WILD EAST or somebody.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:53:16 AM by Banjo » Logged
Tim
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 04:20:05 PM »

I'll second the motion about Kid Vengeance, AKA Take Another Hard Ride) is the worst spaghetti IMO.  I picked it up for cheap thinking Van Cleef and Jim Brown would be good together, but boy was I wrong.

At least other bad spaghettis, like White Comanche, are amusing/entertaining in their badness.  How can you go wrong with William Shatner as a Comanche chief?  That's classic!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:12:04 AM »

Thanks for the advice about Kid Vengeance because i had nearly been tempted to  buy the cheap video on Amazon.However i have to say i find Gods Gun pretty unwatchable and this is partly due to the dreadful non-LVC dubbing over LVC's lines and the less said about Leif Garrett the better. Its hard to believe this movie was directed by the same guy that did Sabata.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »

For some reason I quite enjoyed Gods Gun (well, it was watchable).  Although I would mirror the opinion re the over dub!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 05:05:55 AM »

Perhaps i'm being a bit mean as i watched it just the once on a mediocre quality dvd containg 4 LVC westerns the others being Grand Duel(in scratchy widescreen!),Beyond the Law(30 minutes longer than the video!) and Death Rides a Horse(video print much better!).I'll give this another look but the print colours are awfully bright and Van Cleefs dubber sounds like he's on helium!!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:38:25 AM »

Derringdo,i 'll give this a try if i can find some cheesy western music-saloon piano.It can't be any worse than the annoying repetative dirge of a soundtrack if i remember correctly!!!

HEX
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:58:57 AM »

ive never understood as to why people actually state they would watch a movie on mute just because the music or the sound effects or dubbing is not up to there taste. i have always found that a bit extreme(would u really watch a 2 hour film on mute if the music is horrible? that sounds a bit stupid.) i am not trying to offend anyone here but u must admit it does seem a bit ridiculous to watch a movie with dialogue with the volume all the way down just because it has awful sound. that is like saying that u would watch a movie with the television off because the visual style is of poor quality.

i have read many reviews(especially sw's) about films in which people state they would turn off the sound and watch the movie silently.

especially for films like

KEOMA( which i like the music there. no other piece of music would fit in that film.)

MANNAJA(which i also like the music)

and it all seems a bit taken to far...

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 10:01:51 AM »

I think Derringdo joking Hex,and i will give this movie another  look soon buddy!!!

HEX
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 10:10:07 AM »

I think Derringdo joking Hex,and i will give this movie another  look soon buddy!!!

but i wasnt just ganging up on DERRINGDO(whether joking or not). i was just commenting on something i have noticed for a while now.

and most people sound like they are serious about actually doing it.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 01:42:29 PM »

Perhaps i'm being a bit mean as i watched it just the once on a mediocre quality dvd containg 4 LVC westerns the others being Grand Duel(in scratchy widescreen!),Beyond the Law(30 minutes longer than the video!) and Death Rides a Horse(video print much better!).I'll give this another look but the print colours are awfully bright and Van Cleefs dubber sounds like he's on helium!!

I've got that same print, and the pic quality is awful awful awful!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 02:56:52 AM »

And it looks a lot worse in the dark!!I'm sorry guys i started watching it last night but switched off halfway through- it is an excrutiatingly bad film.I'd forgotten Palance was also dubbed by someone else and i think here he hams it up rather too much and comes over more like Sid James(of "Carry On" fame) on a very very bad day.He also looks so painfully ill and haggard considering how he was in City Slickers many years later.Apart from the voice LVC has never looked worse and the 2 characters he played are just embarrasing.He looked pretty awful in Captain Apache but at least this was entertaining for a crap film-especially the out of tune singing-the music in Gods Gun is utter torture!!
       Do i dare to give Bad Mans River(taped off tv awhile ago) another try?

HEX
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 08:13:20 AM »

Apart from the voice LVC has never looked worse and the 2 characters he played are just embarrasing.He looked pretty awful in Captain Apache but at least this was entertaining for a crap film-especially the out of tune singing-the music in Gods Gun is utter torture!!

u should see how horrible he looks in KID VENGEANCE. if u do u will take back what u said on how he looks in GODS GUN.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 01:56:36 AM »

Hex now you've warned me i don't think thats ever going to happen and i'll have to take your word for it.If anyone from ITV4 reading this is thinking of screening any of the films discussed in this thread,PLEASE,PLEASE,(I REPEAT)PLEASE DO NOT!!!

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3359539/God-Gun/Product.html

Widescreen according to BBFC site. Cool

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/922D1817C59FF596802572FA0040427D?OpenDocument

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 01:19:40 AM »

Dare I ask?

R1 release?

I'm one of the nine people that like it.

That being said it isn't as bad as most make it out to be.
I think the fans are just angry that even though the film has the presence of a great cast, it doesn't amount to anything great.

I'll be picking up the R2 dvd so I can finally have it on widescreen.

It has some moments of greatness (the LVC flashback and the final duel), after all, it's Parolini.

The very memorbale final showdown can be seen here...http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=XIVK1IvTLxA

God's Gun gets more plays on my player than "Return Of Sabata" that's for sure.

For those of you that live in the states it is easily obtained in pretty much any bargain bin anywhere for less than 5 bucks (and it normally comes along side three other movies in a box set).
Of course you have to endure the awful pan n' scan vhs transfer.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 05:58:05 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM