Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:43:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Another question on Tuco's gun
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another question on Tuco's gun  (Read 7002 times)
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2003, 01:15:19 PM »

Just how did Tuco get his gun back?  Eastwood says "every gun makes its own tune".  I've always had to assume that he got it somehow from big bad sarge.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 08:33:36 PM »

Well I think we went over this once before in a long ago thread.

My take was that maybe Clint meant "gun" as in "gun-fighter", "gun-slinger", or "hired gun". Meaning not the actual gun but the man. So he may have heard Tuco's particular style or (rhythm) of shooting, rather than the gun itself. But then again Tuco's custom gun may have had a particular distinct sound. It would have sounded different than the more common cap & ball revolvers that would have predominated that time period.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 10:56:20 PM »

I agree with cigar joe.  It's more than likely his style that Blondy "hears".

My take one it is that Tuco has Three revolvers in the film.

1.1858 Remington:  Crashing though the window in the beginning of the film with turky leg in other hand.  Blondy never gives it back to him...

2. Custom made Badass Gun the Navy colt trigger, Smith and Wesson cylinder, and a Ferrote barrel that he puts together at the store.  More than likely confiscated by the Union...

3. 1851 Colt Conversion What he takes off of the big brute after jumping off the train and uses this the rest of the movie.  Droped by Blondy by Arch Stantons grave right after mumbling "You see there are two kinds of people in this world my friend.  Those with loaded guns and those who dig.  You dig!"  More than likely retrived by Tuco after Blondy shoots him down...

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 04:28:00 AM »

One correction Harmonica, the Colt that Wallace had was damaged in the fall from the train, remember Tuco tried to shoot the chain manacle connecting him to Wallace and the gun wouldn't fire and then Tuco tries to use it as a hammer to try and break the chain draped over a rock before he throws it away. It probably had a bent frame.

So Tuco must have picked up another Colt conversion after he jumped on the train to take him back towards Sad Hill.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 05:16:28 PM »

Ahhhhhh!!!!  Your right Joe, I was to busy looking at the scene in Slow Motion to notice what kind of gun it is he takes off of big brute,  that he does infact try and fire the gun and can't...

My only guess would be off a dead army guy or something?  Is the first time we see him after the train scene in the shelled out town taking a bath?  

We never see him give up the Custom made Badass Gun.  He could have thrown it out in the sand real quick before the Union guys noticed it and went back for it...(Just kidding) Wink

-BTW You've really got me looking for those damb cap nipples all the time now (no pun intended)... Cool

Now I'm going to have to throw the DVD in again and watch it for everytime Tuco's wielding a gun... Roll Eyes Tongue Cool

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 12:08:08 PM »

I don't know guns, but Tuco did have the revolver on a rawhide around his neck in the bathtub...but agree it would be extremely unlikely to get the "custom" gun back (on the train he hopped?), so likely Blondie was referring to the cadence of Tuco shooting one-armed Al.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 04:50:30 PM »

Harmonica, most of the caps I've seen are brass so they should be easy to spot, let me know what you see.

KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 07:08:04 PM »

tuco couln't have survived as long as he could with out being resourceful.  when meeting his brother, father pablo, he explains "where we were brought up one either had to become a priest or a bandit to servive.

can't imimagine tuco taking one step w/out a pistola.

how does he wind up w/ 3 ?  how did superman change his clothes so fast in a phone both ?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 09:16:14 AM »

Ok viewed the AMC GBU last night and have confirmed more sightings of Colt conversions.

Tuco in gunshop, good view of cylinder of converted Colt when he asks gunshop owner "How much?"

Blondie cleans cylinder with brush pushes it all the way through which could not be done with a cap and ball cylinder.

Tuco loads converted colt in sequence at bridge battle, you see him put in cartridges then close the loading gate.

In corrida shootout during the fast cuts tuco's colt shows loading gate.  Angel Eyes's Remington I think I saw its loading gate but I'll have to review it to confirm.

The only interesting fact is that all the guns retained their ramers (the lever activated bar that seated the lead balls into the cylinders) these are possibly purposely left in place to be able to switch back to cap and ball if out of supply of cartidges. One could then simply switch out cylinders.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 09:25:33 AM by cigar joe » Logged

lucius111
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 04:32:57 PM »

Hello all....new to the boards. but not to the Leone SW's.

Those guns kept their rammers because cap and ball guns were modified during the Civil War to accept cartridges.  Those guns used in the movie are historically correct.  Something I learned watching the History Channel's Tales of the Gun.

Tuco:"See you soon idi...idi.."
Blondie:"Idiots....it's for you."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 04:58:37 AM »

Hi Lucius,
The prop folks did a good job for the most part. The only thing I don't readily notice is a cartridge ejector which on modern colts would be on the same side as the loading gate. Not sure if all the conversions had them or not, but I suppose it would depend upon which gunsmith did the conversion.

lucius111
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 10:56:49 AM »

Your right cigar joe, now that i think about it, those guns didn't have an ejector rod for cartridge rounds.  

I don't own a copy of GBU, but i have seen it enough times to remember alot of things.  I wish i could pop it in and watch it now and get a closer look at those guns.

Tuco:"See you soon idi...idi.."
Blondie:"Idiots....it's for you."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 09:46:07 PM »

I'm not that much of a gun historian but I'm wondering if the ejector as we know it was patented and may not have been in wide use. There may have been another method of ejecting shells manually. Perhaps someting as simple as a rod concealed inside the pistol grip. In fact the ring that Tuco attaches his leather cord to may have screwed into the grip and had a rod extention attached to it for this purpose, this is pure speculation on my part.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 09:46:57 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM