Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:08:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cry Terror! (1958)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cry Terror! (1958)  (Read 616 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:42 PM »

Cry Terror! (1958) 7.5/10

This crime thriller has a terrific cast: Rod Steiger, James Mason, Inger Stevens, Jack Klugman, Angie Dickinson (as a bad girl!) and Neville Brand.

Steiger and his gang -- Dickinson, Klugman, and Brand -- kidnap Mason, Stevens, and their little daughter in a hostage/terrorist scheme. The gang demonstrates their ability to blow up a plane if they so wish, and then blackmail an airline into paying $500,000 ransom: failure to do so will result in the blowing up of one of their airliners and the death of the family.

-- One bit of sloppy work here, as pointed out in this review from Film Fanatic: http://filmfanatic.org/reviews/?p=2961
During one very tense scene involving Stevens, we suddenly, for the first time, get some voice-over narration by her. And toward the end of the movie, in scenes involving Mason, we get some out of the blue voice-over narration from him. At no prior point were we aware that this movie is supposed to be a first-person account from either of them; and after that one lengthy scene that each of them has with narration, we never hear a word of narration from them again. That is very sloppy work by Stone. I hate how directors sometimes think that narration can just come and go at anytime and need not be justified

-- If a little girl's life were in serious danger, yes, her mom would be hysterical. But it's not something that is ever fun in seeing much of in movies. The hysterical scenes with Stevens make you crazy.

-- Oh, and in the scenes with Brand and Steiger in the house in Riverdale: I'd close my window shades if I was holding a hostage in the front room of a house on a city street.

But a cast as good as this one makes the movie fun to watch.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:11:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:05 AM »

The problems are not only with the goofy narration but also with simple logical plot points. Steiger manages to persuade ex army pard Mason to make two mini-bombs so that he can present them to Army authorities and land a contract for mass production. Yeah, sure. Then Steiger, the "brain" of the coup, can't find a better way of getting the ransom than keeping Mason's family in hostage and having Stevens (she looks prettier than what she was going to be 10 years later, but she plays the usual annoying plaintive self) pick up the money and give all the particulars which will enable authorities to grab the four culprits in time. Of course you can't do without the psychotic gang member Brand, easily disposed by Stevens (yeah, sure). I could go on and on, but I give this one 4/10 instead of 2/10 for the Stevewns travel through NYC which CJ will sure appreciate.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:33:29 AM »

I've never watched it all the way through. seems every time I've stumbled upon it it's been in the one room shot of the house in Riverdale.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM