Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:16:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Thing (1982)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Thing (1982)  (Read 18134 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »

One thing has been bugging me a couple of days and can't find the answer... I'd have found it already, except I don't own a DVD of John Carpenter's TT...

In the first scene when the ''thing'' gets out from the dog, near the end of the scene, just before he gets torched, one part of him detaches from what's left of the 'dog' and two 'arms' reach for the sealing trying to escape. Now, do they burn that part of him with the rest or he escapes and comes back later? I seem to remember the characters getting infected by the rest of that Norwegian crew they returned with after the expedition, or by the rest of the poor dogs...

?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »

I can't answer your question exactly, but the film makes it clear that the dog infects at least one of the members of the group before he is revealed and destroyed. He may have infected others, or the infection could have spread from the one infected man to others. It isn't necessary for any part of the dog to survive to spread the infection (although I don't remember if this is suggested or not).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »

That's what I remember too. The dog infects one person, and then after Dr. Blair finds through his studies that the deformed body mass is not completely dead, one guy soon gets infected by the remains of that.

But, it seems that part of the monster I'm talking about gets away in the beginning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5Txe8H6Z4 (at 4:54)

So, I don't understand, is it a bad cut, something went wrong during the shooting or just an error in the script?

From what I can remember that part of the monster never returns. Well, until the very end of the movie, when it's battling MacReady near the generator, but even then we can't be sure what part is it.

It is also unclear how Dr. Blair gets infected, it would be logical that he got infected while touching the infected flesh he was performing studies on, but then again it could be that part that got away that infected him...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »

You don't really need to know what part of the creature it is. As far as the characters (or the audience for that matter) know, everybody could be infected and the Thing seemed to do its thing when it was alone with a victim. The Thing was afraid of fire and when the humans hit it with the flamethrowers, it changed form yet again and escaped. The form it left behind could still infect others, though. It was never talked about whether or not burning the creature would TRULY kill it which is all the better because what the characters don't know, we don't know, either. The various incarnations of the creature represent various lifeforms the thing had taken over throughout its journey before ending up on Earth.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »

You're actually wrong. Smiley

When MacReady is performing the tests with blood, he makes it clear there's one original part of the monster that will do anything to protect itself, while he refers to the other parts as common ''tissue'' (if I remember correctly). Not that it's clear how he got to that, but he says it.

But I partially agree with you, the movie takes on this with ease, it is not fully explainable, nor understandable from the events in the movie. The psychosis kicks in with its ''everything is possible'' tone.

I was just interested in that specific part.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:02:28 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »

You're actually wrong. Smiley

When MacReady is performing the tests with blood, he makes it clear there's one original part of the monster that will do anything to protect itself, while he refers to the other parts as common ''tissue'' (if I remember correctly). Not that it's clear how he got to that, but he says it.

But I partially agree with you, the movie takes on this with ease, it is not fully explainable, nor understandable from the events in the movie. The psychosis kicks in with its ''everything is possible'' tone.

I was just interested in that specific part.

Not sure what I'm wrong about as in the film multiple people are infected at one time, it was all a matter of knowing just who it was. Maybe I've misunderstood your query? All the creatures are part of the same thing. Such as when the blood hits the floor and the various droplets all scurry away followed by the infected human revealing its alien form, the docs head separating itself from the body and sprouting spider legs and making its exit, etc...

I haven't seen the film in a long time myself. A remake/sequel has been greenlit recently, or was still on the slate last I heard.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »

Doesn't matter anymore, I've just watched the movie. It is as I feared; it is not explained.

Hopefully (or better - surely), if what you're saying is true, that will be fixed in the remake. Once we figure out the teen plot-subplot we can just sit back and enjoy the monster flick. Go home Carp.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »

Doesn't matter anymore, I've just watched the movie. It is as I feared; it is not explained.

Hopefully (or better - surely), if what you're saying is true, that will be fixed in the remake. Once we figure out the teen plot-subplot we can just sit back and enjoy the monster flick. Go home Carp.

I like it when not everything is explained leaving it up to the interpretation of the viewer and in this case, we know as much as the characters onscreen. I'm not too anxious for a remake/sequel, though. Tongue

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »

I was joking.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »

The Thing (1982) I should rewatch the original (maybe I will one of these days) but this could be even better. Anyway in my personal list of sci-fi horrors it comes just after Predator. 8\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »

Seems about right.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »

The upcoming prequel has been in the news a lot lately. They got some set pics, too...

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=23739

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 02:27:16 AM »

The upcoming prequel has been in the news a lot lately. They got some set pics, too...

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=23739

This probably won't be worth 1/10 of Carpenter's flick... Prequel, it means the movie will focus on what happened to the Norwegians (Swedes) ?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »

This probably won't be worth 1/10 of Carpenter's flick... Prequel, it means the movie will focus on what happened to the Norwegians (Swedes) ?

Yes.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »

Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has detailed its upcoming two-disc Collector's Edition of director John Carpenter's classic film The Thing. The release will be available for purchase on September 20.

Special Features: •NEW 2K scan of the Inter-positive supervised and approved by director of photography Dean Cundey
• NEW 4.1 created from the original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo soundtrack
• NEW Audio Commentary with director of photography Dean Cundey
• NEW The Men of Outpost 31 - interviews with Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney and more…
• NEW Assembling and Assimilation – an interview with editor Todd Ramsay
• NEW Behind the Chameleon – interviews with visual effects artists Peter Kuran and Susan Turner, special make-up effects artist Rob Burman and Brian Wade and more….
• NEW Sounds from the Cold – interviews with supervising sound editor David Lewis Yewdall and special sound effects designer Alan Howarth
• NEW Between the Lines – an interview with novelization author Alan Dean Foster
• Audio Commentary by director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – a documentary on the making of THE THING featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, special effects make-up designer Rob Bottin, legendary matte artist Albert Whitlock plus members of the cast and crew (80 minutes – SD)
• Outtakes (5 minutes - SD)
•Vintage featurettes from the electronic press kit featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell and Rob Bottin (12 minutes - SD)
• Vintage featurettes – The Making of a Chilling Tale and The Making of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes - SD)
• Vintage Product Reel – contains a promotional condensed version of the film with additional footage not in the film (19 minutes - SD)
• Vintage Behind-the-Scenes footage (2 minutes - SD)
• Annotated Production Archive – Production Art and Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes - SD)
• Network TV Broadcast version of THE THING (92 minutes - SD)
• Teaser Trailer & Theatrical Trailers (U.S. and German Trailer)
•TV spots & Radio Spots
• Still Gallery (behind-the-scenes photos, posters and lobby cards)
•AND MORE...

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM