Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 12:17:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sean's motorcycle
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sean's motorcycle  (Read 7277 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2003, 04:58:02 AM »

Ok, I'm not very informed about motorcycles, what type was Sean riding?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 02:03:17 PM »

It's a beautiful Indian 1000, 2V cilynder, called Indian Powerplus, special for side car.

General Pershin troops on Mexica had this kind of motorcylce because Harley and Indian always had the army contracts. The Motorcycle must be from 1914 or 1915.

Here goes some pictures:   http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/16-24pplus/

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 04:54:06 PM »

Nice pics, thanks shorty.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tintin
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:35 PM »

No, it is a 1928 Harley Davidson. You can tell by the tanks, fenders,  and springer suspension (Indian used leaf-springs until 1930). Also, 1915 Indians (Harleys, too) would have had  perfectly round cylinder (s), of an intake-over-exhaust configuration--"F-head" in the US, "I-O-E" in Europe.  The bike in the picture has a "flathead", or "L-Head".  Most  bikes of 1913-1915   had bicycle pedals to help them get going, and leather belts.

"Government is like a big baby with an unfillable mouth at one end and a total lack of responsibility at the other"-Ronald Reagan
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:39:36 AM »

thanks for the info, what is the make of the later bike that Mallory uses to free Juan from the Federales

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:11:38 AM »

Interesting info!

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »

One or two motorcycles?
When the gang heads for Mesa Verde, Sean is on horseback (and hops on the train), leaving his battered motorcycle behind at the camp site.
When he rescues Juan from the firing squad, he is on a motorcycle again.
How many bikes does this guy have?
If it is the same bike, he returned to the camp site repaired his bike (badly shot up the second time) and rode off to save Juan. Highly unlikely, IMHO.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
tintin
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »

In the book, John steals a Motorcycle from the tax assesor's office, where he also gets more dynamite.  The bike is described as a new, black German make (BMW?)  The motorcycle he rescues Juan on resembles his olive Harley to me, though. BMW's always have a two-cylinder, air cooled, sideways engine like a Volkwagen--called a "boxer configuration".

"Government is like a big baby with an unfillable mouth at one end and a total lack of responsibility at the other"-Ronald Reagan
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

In the book, John steals a Motorcycle from the tax assesor's office, where he also gets more dynamite.  The bike is described as a new, black German make (BMW?)  The motorcycle he rescues Juan on resembles his olive Harley to me, though. BMW's always have a two-cylinder, air cooled, sideways engine like a Volkwagen--called a "boxer configuration".

Interesting info.  Thanks tintin.  When you say "the book", you're referring to the novelization of A Fistful Of Dynamite by James Lewis?

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »

Interesting info.  Thanks tintin.  When you say "the book", you're referring to the novelization of A Fistful Of Dynamite by James Lewis?
A book? What book?

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
tintin
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

Yes, the one by James Lewis.  I don't know how well it comparies to the original story or screenplay--guess it's "in the script".

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »

Yes, the one by James Lewis.  I don't know how well it comparies to the original story or screenplay--guess it's "in the script".

Thanks.  Not sure.  I thought there probably had to be a novelization.  I was curious who the author might have been.  I searched it after I read your post.  I think a lot of times the author took artistic license and added details to the novelization around the actual working script....to sort of flesh out the story and make it flow better for novel form.  

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:33:35 AM »

Standard practice for novelizations. Authors are allowed great liberties with the story. There's never any reason to assume that the author has some kind of inside knowledge, or is somehow expressing the intentions of filmmakers. They make a lot of stuff up.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »

Ditto SSS> What Book?  Shocked This topic was never brought up before. Interesting.
DJ is right. The author will often take great liberties that is often quite contrary to the
movie. One exception would be "Summer of 42". Herman Raucher actually penned the book
AFTER writing the sreenplay, and after the movie premiered.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM