Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 11:43:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Se sei vivo spara aka Django Kill!... If You Live, Shoot! (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Se sei vivo spara aka Django Kill!... If You Live, Shoot! (1967)  (Read 26572 times)
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 10:30:33 AM »

spag fan have you ever seen "EL TOPO"

I'll start a new thread with a preview, lol

Nope, but from your description in the other thread and other stuff I've read, it sounds like I may like it.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 03:50:44 PM »

Django Kill is quality.  I didn't realise Film 4 were showing it, but I mannaged to get hold of a Japenese copy some years back, with all the uncut stuff put back in.  It is a very surreal take on a SW, but very watchable, as are most films with Thomas Milan in!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 09:53:02 AM »

just bought this flick today, sounds great. it will be good to see something a bit wild!

That could just be cannon fire.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »

I've been introducing a friend of mine to some of the classic spaghetti westerns and, knowing he is a big fan of the old Hammer Horror movies, I figured Django Kill may appeal to his warped lil mind. How right I was - he loved it. So anyway, getting to the point, I did my usual thing and have scribed a review for the 'ol site. So here are my thoughts :

"The Stranger (Tomas Milian) arrives in the town known by the local Indian tribes as "The Unhappy Place" to see the bodies of his recent partners in crime hanging in front of him. Flashbacks have already revealed that he had been betrayed and left for dead by the gang, led by Oats (Piero Lulli), following a theft of gold from the army.

The two most prominent townsfolk, Tembler (Quesada) and Hagerman (Sanz) have split the stolen gold between them, and are keeping it hidden from Sorrow (Camardiel), a larger than life bandit whose "muchachos" dress all in black and, lets say, presumably enjoy the pleasures of men. Throw into the pot the mysterious figure of Hagerman's imprisoned wife, who beckons the Stranger from her cell window, and you have a very strange, yet apt, setting for this highly entertaining and frankly bizarre movie.

In fact, this film is straight out of horror territory, from the Stranger's first screen appearance - clawing his way out of an open grave - until its bitter ending. The mood is ably assisted by Ivan Vandor's score, which adds suitable suspense and tension, particularly during the scenes portraying Hagerman, his wife and her relationship with the Stranger.

The cast is quite superb, particularly Sanz in the part of the treacherous Hagerman. Milian meanwhile plays the Stranger role competently but fairly static without the mysterious charisma of a Nero or Eastwood. I am a huge fan of Milian, but much prefer to see his characters portray a little more humour (as he does so brilliantly in Face to Face and the Big Gundown, to name just two performances).

At times graphic (like the notorious scalping scene, or the sight of Oaks' body being torn apart by the locals desperately clawing at the gold bullets within his barely alive body), at times obviously low budget (such as the scene in which the Stranger is tortured, by being subjected to blood sucking bats and other creatures), but captivating throughout. One of the "must view" euro-westerns, in my view".

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 02:37:10 PM »

Nice review Marco.

I love horror and strange SWs, so I thought I would really enjoy this one. After finally seeing it though, I'd have to say it was a pretty big letdown. I love Milian, but here, as you said, his character was just too stiff. It was a strange flick, I just wish it had been a little more enjoyable. Pretty cool intro and finale though.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2005, 02:00:28 PM »

Cheers.

I do really like it, even though I do cringe a bit at the Parrot, and the vampire bat torture!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 12:06:57 AM »

i think its great. its madder than a bag of spiders.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 02:17:21 PM »

I've just finished viewing.  I'm speechless. One of the worst movies I ever saw. It is true that Milian is stiffer than usual, but that is because of the character, which doesn't suit him, as already noted. Anyway, compared to the others, he shows he's a professional. But I also appreciated Lulli's performance.
A game we could start would be to point at the things that do not work. It will take a long time to name them all and it would be a waste of time. Anyway I'll mention the music: I think that me and Banjo (are you there?) could write something better than the inane title tune which torments us throughout  the movie.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 04:03:35 PM »

It is a weird one, Titoli, in that it does seem to be a "love" or "hate" flick.  There are parts that grate with me also, but overall I love it, albeit as one of Milian's lesser roles.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 02:38:34 AM »

I think that sometime, expecially on film forums, people are afraid to say how things really are. This movie being "weird" i presume it means only that, as compared to other SW's of the same minor league, it has some excesses (generally ends to themselves, like the scalping):which makes it different, which doesn't mean better. The real problem with this movie (that I saw in the director's cut: which is a very bad cut: http://www.mondohe.com/customer/product.php?productid=581&cat=14&page=1
this release has also the english audio. And the dubbing is better, for once, than the italian, awful.)

is that it doesn't move. The Sabata or Sartana movies have as many excesses, but they move, they're fast. I saw  recently "Light the fuse, Sartana is Coming" and it was fun and never boring. I understood why I liked the Sartanas so much as a kid, though they are "poor" movies. I would have never liked this, then as of now. There are 4 or 5 "ideas" (or, rather, "gimmicks") like the gay bad ones or the uncle mistreating the niece with his boot, but they are not developed and are submerged in a welter of repetitions   and non sequiturs. The town is described as "strange" but then that "strangeness" doesn't emerge. The characters are inconsequential. Can you explain why Milian should be tormented by the images of the hung ex-pards that tried to kill him a little before? He is driven by the revenge feeling when he shoots Lulli, but then, inexplicably, turns compassionate toward the hung ones.
Just another question, of the many: where is the female population of the town?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »

Its a fair point.  Well, points!  Strangely though, some of the things you don't like about it are the very same things that I do!  I guess in the end its just all a matter of taste.

Having said that, there are some films that you can watch and really enjoy, but still know and understand why other people will hate it.  And this is a perfect example of that.

Cat Stevens
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 09:17:12 AM »

I watched this movie last night (picked up the BU DVD a while back).  A definite sub-genre picture within the SW genre -- are there any other homosexual torture SW flicks out there?

That said, I felt the movie had its moments.  I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the outfits that Mr. Sorrow's bandits wore.  Plus the scene where one of the bandits is eating a banana and the continued references to 'partnership' were all quite heavy-handed, but I took it in jest.  Very violent (in the tradition of Django, I suppose) and am glad I have the DVD in my collection.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 01:59:41 AM »

Just checked the ITV4 listings and Django Kill is the second film in the SW season to be shown next Sunday 13th November at 11.00pm and repeated at 2.25am.As with Django last night there is an Alex Cox introduction.This film is listed as subtitled but in view of last nights screening of Django in English audio,i think we'll have to wait to find out!
I've never seen the notorious Django Kill and i guess like many others i maybe in for a real treat!!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 10:44:40 AM »

its as mad as a bag of spiders. i love it. the whole film is over the top which you would expect from a milian movie but the strange thing is tomas plays it down!

Cat Stevens
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2005, 12:15:05 PM »

Yup - very bizarre SW and worthy of checking out if for curiosity reasons only.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM