Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 03:42:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Long Live Your Death
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Live Your Death  (Read 15912 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 03:22:56 AM »

Released in Italy this very week on dvd in a series of SW's sold as companion pieces to a weekly magazine.
Don't suppose it contains an English audio or even subtitles?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 08:41:01 AM »

Arizona Colts review:-

LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH from Duccio Tessari is another classic from the man. It stars Franco Nero, Eli Wallach and Lynn Redgrave in this comedy-action feature about a search for hidden gold with the map tattooed on two mexican mens behinds(sounds familiar). Tessaris movies seem to always have very good scripts filled with witty banter and this is no exception.  I couldn't find anything wrong with this movie at all other than the playful atmosphere is upset on a couple of occasions by some violent action(of which only the aftermath is shown). An unusual and surprising amount of foul language is present and the film has a great ending. Horst Janson the actor who ruined CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER plays the villainous sheriff who is second fiddle to the evil general of the federales  and is thankfully in very little of the movie. This is the uncut version at 96 minutes and the picture quality is good but sadly fullscreen. A legit DVD is crying out for release. Highly recommended.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »

This is the uncut version at 96 minutes

Mine runs at 105 minutes.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »

Mine runs at 105 minutes.

That's what the Eurotrash guy said. Remember what I told you about pirates? That's an old review from me anyway before you told me of the one with the german scenes.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »

This is definately one of a handful that i'm dying to see a decent uncut widescreen English version.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 03:30:37 AM »

I've finally watched the italian release and concur on the quality of the print as being very good. Also, the time runs at 112'. Which also does explain my first comment on the movie itself: it never ends. This is a "you saw it all before" movie. One could have a field day showing where you saw that element or plot turn before. Still, maybe, the more interesting fact about it is that Wallach plays a kind of (can you hear me, Dave Jenkins?) Juan role, rather than Tuco. If I am right, then Leone was lucky to have Steiger instead of him because Wallach is not at all brilliant in this, almost seems to be playing under sedatives and even the good dubber Carlo Romano (who dubbed Tuco, Juan and Jerry Lewis) can't redeem his performance. While Nero (one of my all-time unfavourite actors) comes off quite good playing the character devised for him by Corbucci. Lynn Redgrave is not good-looking, still I'm sure that had been Corbucci directing we'd have been graced with more of her skin. That would have partially redeemed her performance, still I wonder what was she doing at all in movies. If you saw the Corbucci movies, this is superfluous. If you haven't, you might even give it a 6\10.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:32:02 AM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 03:41:16 AM »

At the italian Swdb they give the running time at 110':

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/nero3.htm

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 03:56:20 AM »

I've just checked the IMDB for Lynn Redgrave (I should have done this before, yeah) and saw that she was Georgy. So my elucubrations about her were unneeded. Still I wonder why she was given the role in Tessari's.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »

At first glance, it would appear that this SW had all the ingredients for success: Tessari, Franco Nero, Eli Wallach, Lynn Redgrave, and a musical score from Gianni Ferrio. And yet, I would describe it as mediocre at best.

It would appear that Tessari clipped a few bits from the GBU script, a few more from Compaņeros, some more from Il Mercenario, then concocted them together into Long Live Your Death (Viva la muerte....tua, also released in Germany as Zwei Wilde Compaņeros), hoping to get a good product. Personally, I don't think he succeeded. I cannot see the type of chemistry between Nero and Milian in Compaņeros taking place between Nero and Wallach. Also, many of the scenes are too stupid even to be included in a SW; for example, the repeated number of times that Eli kills several soldiers at the time with one single shot; or the moronic behaviour of General Huerta (Eduardo Fajardo) with Lynn Redgrave.

A Morricone score might have helped (or not) to make this movie salvageable.

In summary, a watchable but lesser SW, especially when we consider who are the actors and the director.

5 out of 10.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:47:44 PM by Bandolero » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:29 AM »

At the italian Swdb they give the running time at 110':

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/nero3.htm

The Italian audio version you sent to me runs at 112 minutes Titoli.

The main difference between this and my English version is the extended talky scene between Nero and Wallach in jail and the two 7/8 minute segments which Firecracker referered to earlier which he and i had in German.

As it stands i'd rate this as 8 out of 10 but if a fully uncut  English version emerges (maybe with subtitles like COMPANEROS) then from what i've judged from the extra footage in Italian probably 9 out 10 and very likely in my top 20 sw's. Afro  

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »

Ok spag, not more, not less.

Tessari directs well enough, but he's no match for Corbucci, who probably had made a better film out of this unoriginal script.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »

Ok spag, not more, not less.

Tessari directs well enough, but he's no match for Corbucci, who probably had made a better film out of this unoriginal script.

I agree with your evaluation of the movie. Perhaps my score of 5 out of 10 was a bit on the low side, but I think the movie could have been much better when considering the actors. I would blame it on the direction and lack of a musical score at the level of Compaņeros or The Mercenary. In any case, I think that giving the movie an 8 to 9 out of 10 is way too high.

I will go the extra mile and watch it again in a few days, just to see if I missed somthing.  Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »

The Italian audio version you sent to me runs at 112 minutes Titoli.

I had already reported this, man.  Roll Eyes And made a comment about it.  Tongue

As it stands i'd rate this as 8 out of 10 but if a fully uncut  English version emerges (maybe with subtitles like COMPANEROS) then from what i've judged from the extra footage in Italian probably 9 out 10 and very likely in my top 20 sw's. Afro 

I think England's victories under Fab's managing make you lose any contact with reality. Cry You must return to this movie after you'll have lost a match. Evil

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »

I don't remember much about it at the moment (only saw it once), but I remember liking it quite a bit at the time. I think I still have that bootleg lying around somewhere.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »

I think England's victories under Fab's managing make you lose any contact with reality. Cry You must return to this movie after you'll have lost a match. Evil

Maybe that's why we have a couple of Germans posters (whose team usually never lose) claiming that BOOT HILL is a work of genius. Grin

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:32:23 AM by Banjo » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM