Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 07:00:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Worst Morricone Soundtrack?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Morricone Soundtrack?  (Read 30953 times)
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »

is it just me or is this the worst soundtrack morricone did for leone? I love the music in the other films, but this one did grab me at all.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »

There's certainly less music than the other Leone's, but I don't think it's quality is any worse. The beautiful, nostalghic track MESA VERDE is a mini-masterpiece, and IL FIGLI MORTE is one the best things I think he ever wrote. All the more curiously effective due to it's incongrously jaunty rythm strummed on a banjo, counterpointed by a deeply mournful oboe.

It also has the curious MARCIA DEGLI ACCATTONI, which features burping and segues into Mozart's EINE KLINE NACHT MUZIC of all things. Very avant guard.

His theme for Ruiz is fine in the film, but is unlistinable on it's own, but I find the "jazz" tracks from OUATIA have a similar effect. I assume it's this soundtrack you are refering to Hex, and no, the YESTERDAY muzak is not on the album.

HEX
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:32:47 PM »

whoops. earlier i wrote that i agreed  with this being the worst MORRICONE soundtrack of all the movies he did with LEONE. my mistake i thought i was on the AMERICA board. Grin

no way the soundtrack for DUCK U SUCKER is wonderful!
and probably one of the best of leones movies in my opinion.

as for  AMERICA to me that is the most limited of the soundtracks. i only like the main theme.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:37:53 PM by HEX » Logged
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 05:37:36 PM »

I beg to differ... greatly.
This soundtrack is my favorite Morricone/Leone score. The main title being my favorite with after the explosion a close second. Replay them in the car all the time. After 35 years, I don't tire of it.
I just recently found de CD with help from a board member so I could finally put my frying old vinyl from the 70's  to rest.
Last tidbit: I read somewhere that Morricone played the main theme at Leone's funeral...If true?... can't be all bad

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 06:10:24 PM »

Just ignore the previous post to SeanSeanSean's. This dickless wanker has bombarded me with insulting PM's since it first attacked the board a couple of days ago under the name of "harpo", and I'm sure it will carry on trolling here for while yet. Trolls thrive on attention, so just ignore the little bitch and it'll vanish off back under it's bridge.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 07:55:38 AM by Juan Miranda » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 10:24:22 PM »

Let me add to the consensus: the soundtrack for DYS is not Morricone's worst for Leone. Quite possibly, it is his best; at any rate, it is my favorite.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 05:29:53 PM »

I don't have the soundtrack, though it's on my "to-get" list.  I love the Main Theme and think "March of the Beggars" is weird in a good way, but I can't comment on the incidental music outside of what I heard in the movie.

As for Hex saying that OUATIA's soundtrack was Morricone's worst. . . three words: you are a fool!  Wink

Saturday nights with Groggy
HEX
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 06:56:21 PM »

I don't have the soundtrack, though it's on my "to-get" list.  I love the Main Theme and think "March of the Beggars" is weird in a good way, but I can't comment on the incidental music outside of what I heard in the movie.

As for Hex saying that OUATIA's soundtrack was Morricone's worst. . . three words: you are a fool!  Wink

u sir are the fool!

i can think of only one piece of music in AMERICA that got to me. and it was the main theme. other then that i thought it did its job but it was about average.

as for DUCK U SUCKER

the main theme
MARCH OF THE BEGGARS
and MESA VERDE are great.

and anyways GROGGY when the hell did u become a communist? it is my opinion. Grin

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 12:30:35 AM »

Now I can't say i have the luxury of actually listening to whole soundtracks, like on cd, but as far as the actual sound track in the movie, as is... duck you sucker is definitely one of my favorite leone/morricone works music wise, and ditto on the movie as a whole... It is tough to choose a worse, but if I had to I'd probably say America or FAFDM, simply because they each have parts I love and parts I hate, the other 4 leone/morricone musical works don't have one track I don't at least like.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 06:09:04 AM »

OUATIA is arguably Morricone's best work (at least for Leone), with the possible exception of OUATITW.  The Main Title, "Deborah's Theme", "Poverty", "Friendship & Love", the string "Amapola" remix, most definitely "Cockeye's Theme", and even the incidental music (particularly "Speakeasy" and the Chief Aiello theme on the Suite) is all spectacular.  I don't see how you can say that it's one of the worst.  But obviously, it's a matter of opinion.

I love ALL of Morricone's scores for Leone, even his for FOD, a film which I'm not particularly fond of, and I think all of them deserve their place as classics of the genre.  So, I don't think I could name what I think is "the worst", maybe the "least great" (which would be either FOD or FAFDM).  But you're not going to get me to bad-mouth Ennio either way.  Tongue

HEX
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »

OUATIA is arguably Morricone's best work (at least for Leone), with the possible exception of OUATITW.  The Main Title, "Deborah's Theme", "Poverty", "Friendship & Love", the string "Amapola" remix, most definitely "Cockeye's Theme", and even the incidental music (particularly "Speakeasy" and the Chief Aiello theme on the Suite) is all spectacular.  I don't see how you can say that it's one of the worst.  But obviously, it's a matter of opinion.

I love ALL of Morricone's scores for Leone, even his for FOD, a film which I'm not particularly fond of, and I think all of them deserve their place as classics of the genre.  So, I don't think I could name what I think is "the worst", maybe the "least great" (which would be either FOD or FAFDM).  But you're not going to get me to bad-mouth Ennio either way.  Tongue

who is bad mouthing ENNIO? when i said the "worst" i did not mean it was horrible. AMERICA'S soundtrack is one of the best soundrack i have ever heard to a film.
but in my opinion i like his western soundtracks better. just because to me it sounds more romantic. i am cheesy that way. Grin

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 10:33:59 AM »

is it just me or is this the worst soundtrack morricone did for leone? I love the music in the other films, but this one did grab me at all.

:smoker shakes his head:
The music may of been under used in the film. Not in the same marrage as previous Leone/Morricone work.
I hadn't even seen the film when i got hold of a vinyl copy of the Giu La Testa soundtrack. It was one of the best 2 sided 40mins ive ever listen to. 'Invention John' is sublime. no other word for it.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:36:24 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »

who is bad mouthing ENNIO? when i said the "worst" i did not mean it was horrible. AMERICA'S soundtrack is one of the best soundrack i have ever heard to a film.
but in my opinion i like his western soundtracks better. just because to me it sounds more romantic. i am cheesy that way. Grin

Well okay, Hex.  I didn't say you were badmouthing him, I was just saying I can't bring myself to saying that any of his Leone scores were "the worst".  Now, though I do hear that he had one or two bad non-Leone soundtracks, I must admit I'm not an expert in that field.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 08:42:50 AM »

Personally i feel DYS is easily Morricones best soundtrack in all genres and OUATIA is also wonderful and very moving!

hello
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 10:01:02 AM »

i have not seen the movie but i already own the soundtrack and i really dont like it.

is this a comedy? from the music it seems like it.
i dont like the farting stuff and the playfulness of the music.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM