Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:54:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Translations
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Translations  (Read 5188 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2003, 07:11:21 PM »

Mono in his post on the OUTITW page brings up something that has always made me wonder. How close exaclty are the different versions dialogs. I mean to ask are they pretty much uniform direct translations, or are there variations, like Mono brought up in the German version.  I suppose with the dubbing in order to syncronise the diologe with the film there must be some variations. What can our international members tell us?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 01:17:50 PM »

From my own part, I bought GBU dvd only in french, in France.

I can tell you that the translation is pathetic. I don't have any example in mind right now but you have to trust me.

And let's not even talk about the voices. They have absolutely nothing to do with the real voices of Eastwood, Van Cleef or Wallach. And belive me, the voices are not simply details, they are extremely important for an actor.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 09:10:49 AM »

I couldn't agree more with shorty larsen. Voices extremely important... I can't speak from personal experience with Leone films but there was a little ditty called CINEMA PARADISIO (one of the great films in my humble opinion). I had seen the film several times with yellow subtitles. One night I rented a copy and didn't realize it was the dubbed version. I watched the first 10 minutes and became so frustrated I retured the video that evening. The film was ruined as far as I'm concerned.

Joe, regarding your question, as far a literal translations... it just doesn't exist. I was in Mexico for holiday and I was able to see a few film in dubed Spanish (again the voices were a joke). What they were saying and what the subtitles said were two very different things. Now I'm not talking about a rewrite of the story but it was a joke. Rewatching the films in the great US of A, there were no differences that I could detect between subtitles and US versions.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 12:40:17 PM »

Althougt I have the Cinema Paradiso DVD at home, a french tv channel was showing the film and I couldn't resist to watch 15' minutes.

What a difference between the original voice of little Toto and the french voice!!!! It loses a lot.

I agree with you Jouissance, great film, one of the most sensitive I have ever seen (maybe "Dances with wolves" too and of course OUTA)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 05:19:06 PM »

Ok so there is a big difference, and the dubbed voices make a difference.  So then my next question would be the great lines we all know and love in the original dubbed English of Eli, Clint, and Lee, would be somewhat different if they are redubbed in whatever language version premiered?  Or were in the original releases were say Eli, Clint , and Lee speaking in English and subtitled in German while Klaus Kinsky just spoke in German or was the release all in German?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 06:46:01 AM »

Well,if ANYONE cares,I can speak for the Finnish translation.In Finland,movies aren't usually dubbed,so we have the original voices.As for the translation,I think it is competent and well done.There are some bits that could've been translated better,but on the whole the translation is nicely done.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 11:13:17 AM »

I agree, films in Belgium are never dubbed but always subtitled (which is really educational and politically correct, I think).  Doesn't matter how they are really translated, the flaws in the translations are made up by the original dialogue, of course.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 03:06:53 PM »

In Spain for example, the foreign movies are NEVER subtitleled, but ALWAYS dubbed.

Pour spaniards!!!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 04:26:23 PM »

Ok, OK, OK, Shorty, Il Buono, Jupa, what language was the diologue of the movie in then English or Italian?

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 11:56:02 AM »

English, of course!

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 12:08:07 PM »

joe,

probably can't be of service but will consult my better half. my sister rose who lives in itally/NYC and holds a PHD in psyco-lingustics.

living there she had to learn itialian & may possibly have a peice to the puzzle.  she was the one who told me to go see  leone's movies back in '68.  she also told me when i was 14 there's a new group coming out in america soon. you'll like them as your a musician as well.   they call themselves the beatles.  

kerm

KERMIT
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 12:18:15 PM »

joe,

probably can't be of service but will consult my better half. my sister rose who lives in itally/NYC and holds a PHD in psyco-lingustics.

living there she had to learn itialian & may possibly have a peice to the puzzle.  she was the one who told me to go see  leone's movies back in '68.  she also told me when i was 14 there's a new group coming out in america soon. you'll like them as your a musician as well.   they call themselves the beatles.  

kerm
so it's english.  i'll leave my sis in peace.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2003, 04:52:10 PM »

One more stupid question then in Italy they had to be in Italian then?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM