Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:07:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vengeance - A.K.A. - Joko invoca Dio... e muori (1968)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vengeance - A.K.A. - Joko invoca Dio... e muori (1968)  (Read 17042 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:07:08 AM »

Great stuff!  A really enjoyable film.  I would recommend everyone looks out for this.  Its on ITV4 on Sunday 20th, a welcome addition to their SW series.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:38:38 AM »

Fantastic news.. keep em coming.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 02:39:54 AM »

Great,we are getting to see more than 3 movies in this SW season afterall!
I agree with Marco and Smoker that this is a really good film with an unique storyline,fine action, and a great showdown finale in a network of caves.Anyone new to this film watch out for Gian Maria Volonte's younger brother who makes an ace villain here.I'm hoping ITV4 will also shown $!0,000 Blood Money(which i don't have) in which he also stars!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:37:13 AM »

I only have this on video at the moment "Spaghetti Western Collection series, if memory serves me right).  It was a fair while ago that I saw it, and can't remember too much about the story, but remember it being really enjoyable.

I'm hoping they can show a few that I haven't seen yet, like Tepepa and Run Man Run.  I've tried to search on the net for a full schedule, but haven't had any luck.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:54:38 AM »

I have the same video(in widescreen) Marco and i'm gonna try and squeeze Alex Cox's 5 minute introduction at the end of the tape on either LP or EP mode!
Nice to know that you also are still looking out for goodies!!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:32:22 AM »

i've never seen this one how does it rate? are their any SW regulars in it?

That could just be cannon fire.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:32:13 PM »

Its stars Richard Harrison, who was an actor considered to play the Clint role in Fistful of Dollars.  However, he was unable to do the part and recommended Clint to Leone.

Like Banjo said earlier, it also has Volente's brother in it,
Claudio Camaso.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 02:35:07 AM »

Yes and Harrison is obviously trying hard to be Clint in Vengeance with the poncho and the squinting.But although adequate as the hero,compared to Clint he comes across very one-dimentional,completely lacking Clints humour and is definately not cool.
Apart from Camaso there are a couple of other familiar faces to which i can't put names to!
Its not up with the classics,Indio,and if Cigar Joe saw this i'd guess he would include it on the "B" list.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 10:16:55 AM »

I asked over at the SWWB if anyone knows what else the series will include, and I was referred to Alex Cox's blog :

"To Almeria, in Southern Spain, to record Spaghetti Western introductions for a season of nine, screening on ITV4. We shoot in one of the three surviving Western towns - the only one still functioning as a real film location. In spite of the failure of BLUEBERRY, the French have already made another Ratatouille Western there, also based on a comic strip, the (for me) extremely un-funny LUCKY LUKE. Still, they're keeping Estudios Decorados, a.k.a. Fort Bravo, afloat - so must be enouraged.

The TV season includes some fine Spaghettis (DJANGO, DJANGO KILL, QUIEN SABE?) plus two I hadn't seen before - VENGEANCE (a.k.a. JOKO, INVOKE GOD AND DIE!) and THE BIG DUEL. The latter was directed by Giancarlo Santi, Leone's henchman, and is pretty interesting. Santi was supposed to direct DUCK YOU SUCKER! but was fired by the principal actors, Rod Steiger and James Coburn, who thought Leone had tricked them, by giving the impression he was going to direct the film himself.

After the shoot, I stay in the desert for a couple of weeks. One evening, at the refurbished Teatro Municipal in Tabernas, I see an extraordinary touring production of DON QUIXOTE - a travelling show, with only four actors, known as the Teatro de la Resistencia.

It's a fantastic production. Really funny, adventurous, and intelligent. The cast have huge, impressive stage props, deep reservoirs of energy, and keep dragging the audience on stage to play prisoners or shepherds. (Fortunately, Tod and I are sitting at the back). About 50 people, mostly kids, have shown up for the performance. Most people in town weren't aware that it was even on.

The Teatro Municipal is the old town cinema, the biggest building in the village, after the church. But nobody goes to the pictures any more, and the theatre is clearly a mystery to most of my friends here.

On my last night in town, I attempt to give blood - but am rejected! Anyone resident in the UK between 1980 and 1996 is forbidden to give blood in Europe - due to the Mad Cow virus. I tell Jose Luis, the doctor, that I'm a vegetarian, but it doesn't matter. Instead they give me a purse saying 'Donante de Sangre - Almeria' and I buy a lottery ticket.

This makes me very sad. I'm an outsider pretty much whereever I go, and I'd hoped that giving blood, like going to the theatre and drinking 10,000 gallons of red wine, might help me go native. But, thanks to Thatcher and Selwyn Gummer, I remain a marginal.

Not that matters governmental are perfect in Spain, either. The last favour the bastard Franco did Spain, apart from dying, was the installation of a monarchy. Last week we were subjected to the usual mad media hubbub because a royal brat was born. And on Friday, the Spanish supreme court declared that the head of Batasuna, the Catalan independence party, must go to prison for a year for calling the fucking King "the chief of torturers."

Apart from the fact that this is clearly true (if Juan Carlos is the head of state, then he is the torturers' nominal jefe) how, in the modern European Union, can one be put in prison just for saying things?

I talked about this to the Moroccan guy who sells me my phone cards. We both agreed that Spain is a great place. "But the laws aren't," he added. "Don't they put you in jail in England if you say something about the queen?"

"Not yet," I told him.

"You wait," he said. "They will, before long."

Helpful stuff!  The link to this blog by the way is http://prayforrain.com/coxforum/viewtopic.php?t=20

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 05:46:50 AM »

Nice one Marco and i'm looking forward to seeing (and taping)a hopefully decent print of the (uncut?) Grand Duel.Like you i only have the crummy sratched version on the 4 on 1 LVC dvd!
So theres still 4 SW's to be shown on ITV4 that we don't know the titles of yet.Hopefully they've overlooked Companeros because the missus has just ordered the dvd from the USA to make sure it gets here in time for Xmas!

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:37 AM »

Fantastic Alex Blog, Marco. Its all go for Alex Cox at the moment.

New special edition of Repo Man. Arguebly the mans finest film. Great little movie starring Harry Dean Stanton & Emilo Estevez, and a small role for Vonetta McGee from Grande Silenzio. Some of his late 90s films getting a reissue on BFI.

Has anybody seen Cox's Walker? Starring Ed Harris

Closes thing  he probably came to a Zapata Western film, with a twist. Based extremely losey on the exploites of the Docter/Lawyer turned Mercenary William Walker orchistrating a govement over throw in 19th Century Nicaragua. Has a cameo from Joe Strummer as a dishwashing rebel. The historical look is slowly engulfed with modern everydays. telephones & coke machines, helicopters. surreal movie.

Its A Bullet For The General basicly in message.  Western interfearance in 3rd world countries.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 08:23:56 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »

I'd forgotten about the late great Joe Strummer .What a loss to the world he is!
Smoker,looks like an interesting movie!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 03:57:10 AM »

Fantastic Alex Blog, Marco. Its all go for Alex Cox at the moment.

New special edition of Repo Man. Arguebly the mans finest film. Great little movie starring Harry Dean Stanton & Emilo Estevez, and a small role for Vonetta McGee from Grande Silenzio. Some of his late 90s films getting a reissue on BFI.

A particular favourite of mine!  Repo Man is in my Top Ten movies of all time.  With a classic Iggy Pop (God!) title track.  And the rest of the soundtrack is cool to, with Black Flags epic TV Party!  A really cool and kooky movie.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 06:37:16 AM »

I agree Marco,Iggy & the Stooges and the Velvet Underground rock!!!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 08:30:06 AM »

Yeah i'm a big VU fan too  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM