Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 07:04:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The best movie ever made...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best movie ever made...  (Read 66023 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

But that's, that's . . . man, that's doppelganger-ing!

No, that's short-sightedness.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »

But maybe Placido's ex-wife was Benito's sister. I mean not Mussolini.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »

In my opinion,Once Upon a Time in the West is not only the best western but also the best movie ever....

Out of all the movies I've seen, I think I'd agree with that.

Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »

I am new to SL films, and spaghetti westerns in general.  I've only seen a handful of other modern westerns.  Whenever I heard the term spaghetti western, I thought of old John Wayne style movies.  I've never seen through a whole John Wayne 1950s style American western, so maybe I'm not being fair, but they strike me as very boring and ridiculous.  Kind of like a cliche happy-go-lucky film where people sing cheesy songs and the good guy always wins and rides off into the sunset at the end of the film.

Boy did OUATITW change my expectations around.  It was nothing like I had expected.  I'm in my early 30s and I get why a lot of people my age can't stomach a movie like this.  The long drawn out scenes seem to have too little stimulation for most movie watchers these days and their patience is challenged beyond their limit.  But I found the scenes to be very fascinating and intense, and the long drawn out pauses bring my imagination to life an really make the gears in my mind start turning.  Also the movies totally have an artistic side like I had never expected from a spaghetti western.  The script is amazing in particular to me.  Every line seems to pack a punch that hits you right in the feels, but nothing like the cheesy one-liners you find in comic-book based movies.  The cinematography and movie set is absolutely top notch, even for these days in filming.  There seems to be nothing present in any scene of this movie that makes you think this is just a movie set and not the real wild west.  The story line is touching, poignant, mysterious at times, and even prophetic.  SL nails it with the snapshot of these characters during the time span of the film and keeps you on the edge of your seat trying to figure out what led the characters to these points during the film.  And last but not least, Claudia Cardinale is friggin beautiful.   She is the perfect personification of the good life that survives out of the brutality of the old west. 

I've seen OUATITW 3 times so far, and I plan on seeing it many more times.  I can see how it could be a hard argument to say it is the best film ever made, but when I first saw it, it broke all my expectations of it and made me really appreciate it.  Now on watch number 3, it has catapulted itself into what will probably be my personal favorite movie.  I have seen TGTBatU and FoD, and although I liked them, they cant seem to compare with OUATITW.  It's possible that my opinion will change and maybe I will see a movie I think is better, but this movie definitely has a special place in my heart.  Even my 18 mo old son seems to have an appreciation for this. He loves the opening scene with the whiny windmill pump, and the ticker machine.  He seems to really pick up on the intensity of the drawn out scenes and the many sound effects used in the film. 

~Ive been all over the entire universe to find you~
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2017, 03:03:31 AM »

I am new to SL films, and spaghetti westerns in general.  I've only seen a handful of other modern westerns.  Whenever I heard the term spaghetti western, I thought of old John Wayne style movies.  I've never seen through a whole John Wayne 1950s style American western, so maybe I'm not being fair, but they strike me as very boring and ridiculous. 

Boy did OUATITW change my expectations around.  It was nothing like I had expected. 

That makes me wonder 1) how did you make the connection spaghetti-John Wayne. I never saw a picture of Wayne eating spaghetti (maybe it does exist, though) but still I can't figure out what was (and is) your conception of spaghetti western before (and after) watching Leone's movies. BTW, I assume you haven't seen yet For a Few Dollars More and Duck You Sucker. What are you waiting for? 2) Have you watched The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? 3) How did you ever come to watch Leone's movies at all, as you seem not to have a particular interest for westerns, let alone spaghetti westerns? 4) In your messages you never mention Morricone.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2017, 05:12:45 AM »

I am new to SL films, and spaghetti westerns in general.  I've only seen a handful of other modern westerns.  Whenever I heard the term spaghetti western, I thought of old John Wayne style movies.  I've never seen through a whole John Wayne 1950s style American western, so maybe I'm not being fair, but they strike me as very boring and ridiculous.  Kind of like a cliche happy-go-lucky film where people sing cheesy songs and the good guy always wins and rides off into the sunset at the end of the film.

Actually, such films exist, many westerns are quite simple, but many westerns surely not like that, even many Wayne westerns are not like that. And especially westerns made after 1960 are often not that simple.

On the other hand the spaghetti western hero also always wins. With only a few exceptions, but in Us westerns the protagonists also do not always win.

Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2017, 04:18:20 PM »

That makes me wonder 1) how did you make the connection spaghetti-John Wayne. I never saw a picture of Wayne eating spaghetti (maybe it does exist, though) but still I can't figure out what was (and is) your conception of spaghetti western before (and after) watching Leone's movies. BTW, I assume you haven't seen yet For a Few Dollars More and Duck You Sucker. What are you waiting for? 2) Have you watched The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? 3) How did you ever come to watch Leone's movies at all, as you seem not to have a particular interest for westerns, let alone spaghetti westerns? 4) In your messages you never mention Morricone.

Ugh. Forgive me. I totally forgot about Morricone. I have been a fan of Morricone before even watching spaghetti westerns.  Yes, the soundtrack is another major element of the films.  I made the spaghetti western connection to John Wayne mainly cause I'm just a youngster, and although I do watch many classic movies that span well before my time and even my parent's time, westerns wasn't something I ever got into earlier.  I just looked at old westerns as old westerns.  I know there is some overlap between the John Wayne era and Spaghetti westerns, but I didn't really know how to differentiate between them because I knew very little about them, the time frame, and where they came from.  I have not seen FAFDM or DYS yet.  I'm trying not to watch too many of his movies once after the other.  These are not movies I can just watch and overlap with something else. They're quite a mouthful to chew on and I'd rather take some time and think on them and maybe watch them again before watching too many others.  I have not seen the Searchers or the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, but I have heard many good things of them and are open to giving them a shot.  I came to watch SL's movies because OUATITW was on Netflix and I figured I'd give it a try.  At this point in life, I'm not particularly into westerns, but I have been paying more attention to them and watching more that I find on Netflix or other streaming channels.  I also have a personal collection of movies with some classic westerns I need to check out.  I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a couple years back and I enjoyed that as I do most Redford and/or Newman movies.  I also saw the 2004 film Blueberry, which I really liked despite it's poor-to-mediocre critic rating.  So yeah, that's where I am with westerns. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

Ugh. Forgive me. I totally forgot about Morricone. I have been a fan of Morricone before even watching spaghetti westerns.  Yes, the soundtrack is another major element of the films.  I made the spaghetti western connection to John Wayne mainly cause I'm just a youngster, and although I do watch many classic movies that span well before my time and even my parent's time, westerns wasn't something I ever got into earlier.  I just looked at old westerns as old westerns.  I know there is some overlap between the John Wayne era and Spaghetti westerns, but I didn't really know how to differentiate between them because I knew very little about them, the time frame, and where they came from.  I have not seen FAFDM or DYS yet.  I'm trying not to watch too many of his movies once after the other.  These are not movies I can just watch and overlap with something else. They're quite a mouthful to chew on and I'd rather take some time and think on them and maybe watch them again before watching too many others.  I have not seen the Searchers or the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, but I have heard many good things of them and are open to giving them a shot.  I came to watch SL's movies because OUATITW was on Netflix and I figured I'd give it a try.  At this point in life, I'm not particularly into westerns, but I have been paying more attention to them and watching more that I find on Netflix or other streaming channels.  I also have a personal collection of movies with some classic westerns I need to check out.  I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a couple years back and I enjoyed that as I do most Redford and/or Newman movies.  I also saw the 2004 film Blueberry, which I really liked despite it's poor-to-mediocre critic rating.  So yeah, that's where I am with westerns. 

I liked Blueberry also. The reviews were mixed for it because the fans of the comics didn't think it measured up, but those that came to it cold turkey like me enjoyed the film.

Out of the 3,000 plus Classic Era American Westerns produced between 1939 and roughly 1981, there are only about 100 of them that are top notch. So 3% are really worth a shit, the rest are routine and formulaic.

Out of the 600 plus or minus Spaghetti Westerns produced only about 18 are top notch again that works out to 3%

What made Leone's films stand out for me was all those formulaic American Westerns that I saw in the theaters and on TV during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Leone's style, the storytelling, and Morricone's music upped it all a couple of notches.

What you should do is definitely not watch all Leone's Westerns at once, watch some of the average American Westerns, some of the good American Westerns and some of the crap American Westerns to get a good handle on them. Then you'll understand Leone's impact on the Genre.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »

Actually, such films exist, many westerns are quite simple, but many westerns surely not like that, even many Wayne westerns are not like that. And especially westerns made after 1960 are often not that simple.

On the other hand the spaghetti western hero also always wins. With only a few exceptions, but in Us westerns the protagonists also do not always win.

I think I may have worded my response a little off, but I feel this video describes well the differences in which I perceived between American Westerns and Spaghetti Westerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFuQMP9sjV4

Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »

Out of the 3,000 plus Classic Era American Westerns produced between 1939 and roughly 1981, there are only about 100 of them that are top notch. So 3% are really worth a shit, the rest are routine and formulaic.

Out of the 600 plus or minus Spaghetti Westerns produced only about 18 are top notch again that works out to 3%

What made Leone's films stand out for me was all those formulaic American Westerns that I saw in the theaters and on TV during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Leone's style, the storytelling, and Morricone's music upped it all a couple of notches.

What you should do is definitely not watch all Leone's Westerns at once, watch some of the average American Westerns, some of the good American Westerns and some of the crap American Westerns to get a good handle on them. Then you'll understand Leone's impact on the Genre.

Those are quite some numbers you got figured there.  They surprise me, but they don't at the same time. I guess it surprises me how many of those movies there actually are out there, but the percentage of great ones isn't a real shocker to me.  I'm very big into music, and that 3% or even lower is how I feel about the quality of the music I hear on the radio.   Honestly, I don't have a ton of time to check out that many movies.  I try to limit the movies I watch to those I think I would like or be interested in and/or those strongly recommended.  Idunno if I want to watch something that you're already telling me is going to be a crap movie.  But I am certainly open to checking out American westerns as well and would rather invest the time into something that has a good reputation.  I do keep hearing about the Searchers from several people and from what I have read, looks like something I may check out soon. 

I just can't say though how happy I am that I stumbled upon OUATITW.  Even without comparing it to other westerns of the time, it's an amazing stand-out movie that exceeds appreciation just within the western genre, but can totally introduce someone into the western genre who had no other appreciation for westerns before.  But as I said earlier, some people don't have the patience for that style of filming.  They need the quick switching camera angles from a Christopher Nolan style film.  That kind of filming drives me nuts. If it gets any faster, it's going to have a strobe light effect.  Shocked

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »

I think I may have worded my response a little off, but I feel this video describes well the differences in which I perceived between American Westerns and Spaghetti Westerns.

He he, don't trust this video. It's not that simple.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »

Nice video  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:14 PM »

He he, don't trust this video. It's not that simple.

I didn't say I trusted any video, I said it described how I perceived it.  My perception of things could be just as skewed as anybody's.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM