Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:42:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The best movie ever made...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best movie ever made...  (Read 67275 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2004, 12:44:35 PM »

sometime sit down and watch the original version of "the haunting" .
Kermit, I have to agree, THE HAUNTING (original) is stunning and (no pun intended) haunting! Roll Eyes

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2004, 07:41:49 AM »

As good as it will ever get, one of THE grade A moments of film history.

Absolutely. The final duel is one the the greatest moments in the history of the movie.

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2006, 11:21:43 AM »

I think it is one of the best movies ever made. It is very difficult to tell this movie is the best: for you probably, but not necessary for this other one who thinks that it is, may be, once upon a time in america, or this other one who is convinced that it is Apocalypse Now for example. And it is not possible to say to those people you are wrong and I am right!

But if suddenly somebody is telling that Mary POPPINS is the greatest may be we could advise this people to think a little bit more about it!

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »

Once upon a Time in the West is without doubt the best movie ever made but it is a close run thing with the Good the bad and the ugly and although its fun to speculate on changes in actors ect if that had been the case the films would have in all probability been just good films, There was for West a spark of somthing between the actors and actress that makes the film come alive the same with GBU, I read somewhere that when filming the shoot out at the end Van Cleef was in a daze telling Leone that he could take Clint out

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »

I read somewhere that when filming the shoot out at the end Van Cleef was in a daze telling Leone that he could take Clint out
I would love to get my hands on that article or interview.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2006, 07:29:04 PM »

the bit was in a Eastwood westerns book I got from the Library will pop back and try to find it again it had a great description of the filming of the gunfight Cleef saying that he knew when filming it that it was the ultimate western quick draw.
And if you look at the film Clint is Clint real cool but Wallach and Cleef are really into it.
You get the same feeling watching Bronson and Fonda its like they knew that this one film was going to be the benchmark for all other westerns, in my opinion no other Western has come close since.
Oh and by the way I know John Wayne made coment about High Plains Drifter but did he ever say a word about West and GBU I would think he was shaking in his boots to see such great Westerns that did not include him

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2006, 07:32:24 AM »

Eastwood, Wallach and Van Cleef were supposed to be the 3 bad guys at the beginning of Once Upon a Time in thge West, but Eastwood and Van Cleef refused.(quoted from Conversation avec Sergio Leone, Noel Simsolo)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:01:05 PM by roberti » Logged

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Fuzzyboots
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2006, 07:48:11 PM »

I don't think it's the best movie ever made, or even the best Leone western. I still consider TGTBATU to be better. The West still has plenty of merits, I just wish the first hour went faster

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »

I just wish the first hour went faster

what? the first hour is the best part of the movie. From the three gunmen waiting for Harmonica to when Jill gets to the ranch is brilliant. The dreary second act(when the plot gets going) is what needs to be cut a bit, so It can move faster.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2006, 09:19:46 PM »

OUATITW is my favorite film of all time. It got me into westerns, film, and Sergio Leone and I wouldn't change a thing about it...except replace Jack, Woody, and Al with Clint, Lee, and Eli.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2006, 09:21:38 PM »

except replace Jack, Woody, and Al with Clint, Lee, and Eli.

No way. They would be way out of place.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2006, 09:23:18 PM »

I wanted to see that. It's an ironic way of stating that the Dollars Trilogy has been killed off.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2006, 09:25:34 PM »

I wanted to see that. It's an ironic way of stating that the Dollars Trilogy has been killed off.

But it would just take you out of the movie if you had seen the previous Trilogy. I never liked the idea of Lee, Clint and Eli waiting for Harmonica since I first heard it. It just seems like they would stand out way to much and be to distracting.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2006, 09:27:28 PM »

That's very true. It's just a fun idea. Just like John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart as Frank. Henry Fonda IS Frank but it's still fun to think of what kind of shock Wayne or Stewart would get.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2006, 09:29:39 PM »

That's very true. It's just a fun idea. Just like John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart as Frank. Henry Fonda IS Frank but it's still fun to think of what kind of shock Wayne or Stewart would get.

Wayne I am sure would have been awful(sorry). I can just imagine him acting like a drunk Frank, since every role I have seen him in he seems like he had a couple of swigs before he walked on set.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM