Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 11:43:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The best movie ever made...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best movie ever made...  (Read 65216 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »

Well judging by her performance with David Niven on Pink Panther(very flirty) and Palances husband cheating woman in The Professionals i think CC could turn on the sexy/hussy performance if needed!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2006, 11:20:40 PM »

I have seen both movies, but I didn't remember her in The Professionals until it was mentioned here some time ago. 

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2006, 05:36:53 AM »

One of the best movies ever?...I'd say yes:
One way to judge a movie's lasting appeal is it's capacity to attrack new fans as the years go by.
Loaned my DVD to a friend recently and his 17 year old got hooked on it. He watched it at least 4 times within a week.
Leone's attention to detail, the engrossing story and the fact that the film is set in the 1880's make it timeless and probably will remain a classic for a long time to come.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:18:29 AM by SeanSeanSean » Logged

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »

I do not think Once Upon A Time in the West will ever go out of favour as each generation comes along and watches and gets caught up in the Western genere there is somthing not quite right about the Hollywood version of the west then a lot of people quite by accident stumble accross Leone and the magic of how he was able to put into picture what we all thought the west to be, a dirty sweaty place where man lied cheated killed raped and doubl crossed to make a living.
The first film I ever sat down and watched properly was the Good The Bad and the Ugly my mother let me stay up one night when I was about 10 and watch it with her I do not think my eyes ever left the screen for the whole showing and to me it was the ultimate movie then I caught fistful and FOFDM and was enchanted by them, but it was only when I was 15 or so that I saw Once Upon ATime in the West, I was utterly staggered this was the west as the way it was and so much in the film fitted in with the way I was as a teenage how I was feeling and the attitudes I felt Harmonica seemed to resonate on the same level as my moods at the time.
A year later the full length version was released in Uk for first time and I went to every afternoon screening at Leicester square Odeon on the run.
even now after all these years I never tire of watching this movie in fact its like a old wine getting better with age and as you get older so you see different things in the movie, well not different but you look at the film with a older persons eye and look at it totally different to what you did in your twenties.
One thing for sure when I die the theme will be the only music to send me off.
And the next generation of fans are already here my daughter is big time into it and around the house we can actually take a part and talk the script though, lots of fun when you are wrapping it round the things you do in life

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »

That's funny, Ennio played that song at Leone's funeral.

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:01 PM »

That's funny, Ennio played that song at Leone's funeral.
Are you sure about that? I read Ennio played Gił la testa, great theme also. But then again he may have played both.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:33:20 PM by SeanSeanSean » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »

Are you sure about that? I read Ennio played Gił la testa, great theme also. But then again he may have played both.

It would make more sense that he played "Giu La Testa" since the title theme is more melancholy than the other mentioned.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »

...and the fact that the film is set in the 1880's make it timeless

How setting it in the 1870's or 1890's would make a difference?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »

It would make more sense that he played "Giu La Testa" since the title theme is more melancholy than the other mentioned.

Both pieces are pretty meloncholy. You're right about Giu La Testa, that is a very melancholy song but the OUATITW is more apropriate for Leone's funeral.

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:41 PM »

How setting it in the 1870's or 1890's would make a difference?
A film shot in the past with so much attention to details as in this film, keeps it's relevance whether it is seen in 1969 or 2069. IMHO.
For example: I love the film Serpico (circa 1973) but you can't help but see it as dated (the cars, the fashions, etc...) even though the story remains relevant.
OUATITW is by definition a story of the past, even when it was first shown so it will never age. That's why it is timeless.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:59:32 AM by SeanSeanSean » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2006, 10:51:50 PM »

I get a kick seeing old cordless phones in films from the 70's they are huge & look like walkie-talkies, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »

I get a kick seeing old cordless phones in films from the 70's they are huge & look like walkie-talkies, lol.

It's amazing how so much has changed in so little of time.

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »

It is indeed a great film. But I tend to think GBU is a better over all film. Maybe it is the pacing or the story and the fact that Tuco steals the film. I am also partial towards Eastwood and would have liked to have seen him as Harmonica. Anyway, still a cool flick, even with Bronson.
I agree. GBU moves faster for me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2007, 06:41:06 PM »

A film shot in the past with so much attention to details as in this film, keeps it's relevance whether it is seen in 1969 or 2069. IMHO.
For example: I love the film Serpico (circa 1973) but you can't help but see it as dated (the cars, the fashions, etc...) even though the story remains relevant.
OUATITW is by definition a story of the past, even when it was first shown so it will never age. That's why it is timeless.
Jill's hair, however, does date the film: a definite 60s 'do.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »

It's on my Top 5, and certainly the best western ever made.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM