Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:33:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The best movie ever made...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best movie ever made...  (Read 65307 times)
s.p.a
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2003, 09:24:17 PM »

Hi I am New,
I agree wholeheartedly. This is the greatest film IMO. This is the only film that I can sit and watch from the start to the end, over and over, despite it's length. For me everthing is perfect, the visuals, the music(especially).
The film has a real sense of operatic scope and breadth to it. My favourite part has to be towards the end, where Bronson steps in to the screen from the side as the fuzz guitar comes in. This gets me everytime. Shocked

train man
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2003, 12:01:57 AM »

In my opinion,Once Upon a Time in the West is not only the best western but also the best movie ever.In fact,OUATITW made me become interested in the movies of Sergio Leone and in spaghetti westerns more generally.

This movie has it all:fantastic music,good plot,picturesque landscapes,and,of course,characters that are greater than life.Nothing can surpass this masterpiece.
[/quoteyes this fim is the SPACE ODYSSY of westerns 2001 a space odyssy could have been ONCE UPON A TIME IN SPACE and OUATITW could have been 1888 A WESTERN ODYSSY]

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2003, 03:05:27 AM »

1873 or 1874, not 1888.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2003, 03:15:30 AM »

I think OUATITW is the best western ever made. Realy much better that all Peckinpah's job (this guy is very very overatted).
I can't find any error in this movie: all the actors are perfect (i know that bronson is a bad actor, but in ouatitw, he has just to be quiet and Leone uses his physical apparence, which is great for the role), the music is one of the best morricone's scores,  tonino delli colli did a greatgreatgreat job, and Leone his best camera performance.
Think to the opening sequences: the firts scene, the introduction of frank (the best charactere intro ever made), of jill, of cheyenne...
Think to the final duel, the best ever made too (gbu's one was great, but just technical; this one was done with passion, gbu's one with professionalism (it isn't really an english word, i think)).

But i prefer one upon a time in america.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2003, 11:25:30 AM »

Let me add my two cents here.

Although GBU is a very good film, I don't think it even competes with OUTW in the best western or best film category.  

First GBU doesn't have the epic sweep that one expects in the best film or best western category.

My biggest problem with GBU is the civil war story which feels so pasted on.  Certainly the civil war could adequately reprent the folly of war, but  large scale battles were never a part of the west and the trench stalemate preview of WW1 didn't occur until the final years of the war.  I'm sorry also but the personal weapons used in GBU were not around in the 1860s.

OUTW on the other hand seems more theme consistent and except for the creep of European touches (railroad cars and rolling stock) is more true to the period.

OUTW has far more angles to the plot and symbols to expound upon which GBU is just a damn good double cross film.  

tommycat
Road Apple

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2003, 12:28:31 PM »

No question. OUATITW ties as my all-time favorite film. The fact that it's a 'western' is almost secondary...used as a vehicle instead of a theme. I doubt it can ever be topped. Bronson was perfect for the role...it was fate. Eastwood is great, but one would have been robbed of the avenues of sympathy (or empathy) that can be obtained with Bronson. Kinda scarry how fresh the movie still feels. Flawless.

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2003, 02:02:52 PM »

OUATITW is the greatest western I have seen, but I have not seen all that many... And it's also up there with the best films made Smiley
I'm itching to get my DVD

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2003, 07:26:24 AM »

Best Western ? may be ..but Rio Bravo, Magnificent Seven.?
Best movie ever made ? No , sorry.Its an insult for Kubrick, Hitch,Huston,Kurosawa ,Von Sternberg and so on..
Best Leone's film ? OUTIW is wonderful but I support  Noodles and Guybrush and I vote for OUATIA . Roll Eyes

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2003, 08:15:51 AM »

Let me add my two cents here.

Although GBU is a very good film, I don't think it even competes with OUTW in the best western or best film category.  

First GBU doesn't have the epic sweep that one expects in the best film or best western category.

My biggest problem with GBU is the civil war story which feels so pasted on.  Certainly the civil war could adequately reprent the folly of war, but  large scale battles were never a part of the west and the trench stalemate preview of WW1 didn't occur until the final years of the war.  I'm sorry also but the personal weapons used in GBU were not around in the 1860s.

OUTW on the other hand seems more theme consistent and except for the creep of European touches (railroad cars and rolling stock) is more true to the period.

OUTW has far more angles to the plot and symbols to expound upon which GBU is just a damn good double cross film.  

It depends on WHEN the movie took place.  If (as it apparently is) it took place during Sibley's New Mexico campaign in January-May 1862 (Sibley does appear, and the Union commander, E.R.S. Canby, is mentioned by Tuco), then there could be.  There were fairly large battles at Valverde, Apache Canyon, and Glorieta Pass, though admittedly nothing on the scale as seen in the film.  And you're 100% correct about the trench warfare.

I think OUATITW is much better than GBU, no questions in my mind.  Tongue

Saturday nights with Groggy
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2003, 06:04:28 AM »

"Best movie ever made ? No , sorry.Its an insult for Kubrick, Hitch,Huston,Kurosawa ,Von Sternberg and so on.."

With all due respect for Hitch, Kubrick, Kurosawa... This is a better movie than anything they ever made. Sorry about the insult. And how about The Godfather or Citizen Kane?

The best movie of all times? It is impossible for me to have a one clear favourite of all films ever, but OUATIW sure ranks among the finest ever.

I see that some have discussed Clint Eastwood in the leading role. I don't doubt that he was one of the few that could have pulled it off as good as Bronson (who was VERY good indeed), but it would have been the wrong role for Eastwood after the No Name-trilogy.
Way too similar, but also way too confusingly different.  

I have heard that Leone wanted Eastwood, Wallach and van Cleef to wait at the station in the beginning, though. Now, THAT would have been fun.

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2003, 05:52:20 PM »

you need to disassociate yourself from your feelings aroused by the nature of the film you're viewing when answering a question like this(otherwise we'd all vote for DEEP THROAT)

WEST is great theatre-operatic and visually stunning

GBU has a light comic touch to counterbalance the violence(Tarantino tries this but just doesn't get it right-too heavy handed)

7 SAMURAI... now THERE'S A GREAT FILM!!!!! drama, action, epic sweep, history, romance, comedy...akin to reading a great novel

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2003, 06:14:02 AM »

you need to disassociate yourself from your feelings aroused by the nature of the film you're viewing when answering a question like this(otherwise we'd all vote for DEEP THROAT)

WEST is great theatre-operatic and visually stunning

GBU has a light comic touch to counterbalance the violence(Tarantino tries this but just doesn't get it right-too heavy handed)

7 SAMURAI... now THERE'S A GREAT FILM!!!!! drama, action, epic sweep, history, romance, comedy...akin to reading a great novel

Excuse me for being naive but I don't quite see what you're getting at.  So we can't like OUATITW as much as Seven Samurai because it looks good?  I enjoyed the acting, the action scenes, even the plot.  

And please explain this remark for me:

Hey, I like Deep Throat.  Oh . . . you mean the movie.  Heh heh . . . sorry there.  Roll Eyes

I don't mean to insult you, visitor, but I don't see what you're getting at.  From what I see, you're saying that if a film looks very good, it can't be good.  Is that it?

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2003, 02:04:24 PM »

"I don't mean to insult you, visitor, but I don't see what you're getting at.  From what I see, you're saying that if a film looks very good, it can't be good.  Is that it?"

I'm saying you don't marry the cheerleader with the big hogans because in twenty years she's gonna be tripping over 'em.
You pick the girl with more substance and stability.

ONCE/WEST is built on two premises-revenge and greed

7 SAMURAI(which has, BY THE WAY,  some of the most  stunning visuals of any film ever made) has themes of humanity, aging, love...hey wait...WEST has all these... and it's in COLOR..and Claudia has big ones just like that cheerleader back in school and...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2003, 04:14:15 PM »

"I don't mean to insult you, visitor, but I don't see what you're getting at.  From what I see, you're saying that if a film looks very good, it can't be good.  Is that it?"

I'm saying you don't marry the cheerleader with the big hogans because in twenty years she's gonna be tripping over 'em.
You pick the girl with more substance and stability.

ONCE/WEST is built on two premises-revenge and greed

7 SAMURAI(which has, BY THE WAY,  some of the most  stunning visuals of any film ever made) has themes of humanity, aging, love...hey wait...WEST has all these... and it's in COLOR..and Claudia has big ones just like that cheerleader back in school and...

Claudia (and Jill) is a very smart woman, so I wouldn't go that far.   Grin

I still don't see what you're getting at.  "OUATITW has all of these attributes PLUS the color and Claudia" - how is that a bad thing?  Though I like staring at Ms. Cardinale as much as the next bloke, most of my favorite scenes show neither hide nor hair of her (and in any cases she can act, so don't start with that).  Your analogy makes little sense to me personally, though you're entitled to your opinion.

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2003, 05:10:04 PM »

What I'm saying is
Just because a movie strikes your fancy, or arouses some desires, or looks great visually, doesn't make it a great film. If it did, T2 would be head of the class.

IMO(and that of many film students) ONCE/WEST (like most of Leone's films)has a very poor script. The pacing is terrific, visually it is superb, but there is no story.

Three plus hours of self concious camera moves elevated to an operatic level by Morricone's score does not a story make.

Without a true story to tell, Sergio dazzles with smoke and mirrors. I love the movie, tops of the genre, but not a GREAT film, let alone greatest of all time.

And who can tell if Claudia can act-she's dubbed in the English language version.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM