Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 06:51:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The best movie ever made...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best movie ever made...  (Read 66432 times)
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2003, 09:08:29 AM »

Well,I think that while OUATITW was a bit more traditional as for the plot,it was a real masterpiece with great music and characters.The movie proceeds slowly,which is good,because Leone "takes his time",thus having a great impact on the audience.I think we also knew Clint would be standing after the trio,and that van Cleef would die.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2003, 04:46:51 PM »

I'm not really complaining all that much about OUTITW, but that in town shootout was done before in a similar fashion in GBU.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2003, 04:46:21 AM »

You mean the scene with Blondie asking Tuco "Were you gonna die alone" is similar to the scene where Frank's men are trying to kill him in the town?Well yes,there is some similarity between those tho scenes.

But imitation is the finest form of art.  Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2003, 05:14:51 AM »

Yes that is the scene, it bogs down there for me somewhat.  Smiley

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2003, 09:40:52 AM »

First off all, hello to everyone, i'm a new member.

OUTW is probably the best film of Leone. But don't forget that the final result of OUTA is not the result that Leone would have given to the film. Who knows exactly what king of film OUTA would have been?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2003, 09:41:09 AM »

Well,there are at least two versions of the film in public circulation,one of which was closer to Leone's original vision.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2003, 10:39:38 AM »

I think that the "european" version is the closest one. And the longest one (almost 4 hours)

But even the "european" version had not the final edition that Leone would have desire.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2003, 05:14:21 AM »

Greatest Western?  Yes.  Greatest film?  Not IMO, but it's close.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2003, 09:10:21 AM »

It's a matter of taste, Zuchovsky...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2003, 06:10:01 AM »

Greatest Western?  Yes.  Greatest film?  Not IMO, but it's close.

Well,what is the greatest film then,CSM?

And even though this may be a bit off-topic here,the greatest television series is definitely the X-Files.I think you agree with me on this,CSM.

Christopher
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2003, 03:43:35 PM »

I just very recently watched Once Upon a Time in the West for the first time, and I would say that it became one of my favorite westerns. I still like GBU more, but this was very good.

I'm glad Charles Bronson played the part of Harmonica. If Clint Eastwood had, it would have been too much of a departure from his character from the Dollars trilogy (those movies stand alone perfectly). Well, I don't suppose a big departure, but there would still have been a harmonica present.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2003, 04:05:07 PM »

Well,what is the greatest film then,CSM?

And even though this may be a bit off-topic here,the greatest television series is definitely the X-Files.I think you agree with me on this,CSM.

Greatest film?  Well, as far as I'm concerned, that's flux.  My top three are "The Godfather", "The Road to Perdition", and "Saving Private Ryan"; I can never decide which is my favorite at any given time.  OUATITW is fourth definitely, though.

And it may surprise you, but "The X-Files" isn't my favorite TV series; "Blackadder II" and the British version of "Cracker" beat it out.  Still up there definitely though.  Grin

Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2003, 08:56:07 PM »

The road to perdition, i thought that was crap. In my opinion it's one of the most predictable films i have ever scene. I think most people liked that for 2 reasons. One becasue Paul Newman was innit, and becasue it was a gangster film and there has'n t been one for a while. Overated in my opinion.
But each to their own.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2003, 03:28:47 AM »

I didn't think it was crap, but it was very overrated...  It's beautifully shot, but nothing we haven't seen before, indeed.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2003, 09:35:50 AM »

The road to perdition, i thought that was crap. In my opinion it's one of the most predictable films i have ever scene. I think most people liked that for 2 reasons. One becasue Paul Newman was innit, and becasue it was a gangster film and there has'n t been one for a while. Overated in my opinion.
But each to their own.

Well, we all have our own opinions.

I am no fan of Paul Newman (or not a big fan), but I do like gangster movies.  Predictable?  Well, I think that is one of the charms of it.  Maybe I'm a bit nuts, but seeing as it has been compared to Greek tragedy, it is supposed to be predictable.  I know I'm not going to change your opinion just by yapping.

Then again, there are a LOT of popular and/or "Classic" films that I find overrated: "Lawrence of Arabia", "The Searchers" (THERE's a can of worms), "O Brother Where Art Thou?", "Titanic", "The Manchurian Candidate" (I twice tried to watch it but couldn't stand more than fifteen minutes at a clip), "Dr. Strangelove (funny but still not a "classic") . . . need I go on?  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM