Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 09:35:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: One-Eyed Jacks (1961)  (Read 10157 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »

Finally made it through all the 141 minutes: if the original cut was 300 minutes long it must have been a rather sick joke. The (unoriginal) story behind would support a movie that is 90 minutes long, at max. Probably more suited for a television mini-series. That been said, it's very clear why this is an everlasting monument to artistic overindulgence. Brando, however great he was - I ain't taking him that away, he's very fun to watch here too - apparently had no measure for anything in his life; he takes every scene there is to the extreme, not really knowing what he's doing. Unfortunately for him - he wasn't Leone, that point after the long wait that makes it all worthwhile in Leone's Westerns isn't to be found anywhere in this, only more subterfuge. And then in merely 10 minutes they end it all with a couple of gunshots and a (bad) romance. Perhaps Leone did drain some inspiration from this movie, and at the same time learned how not to do certain things.

The cinematography should definitely be seen in WS, I don't remember many movies (especially not Ws) set on the coast of Mexico. It's beautiful.

In the end, it's not such a bad movie as it's messed up, I'm thinking a re-cut would open new doors for it. The acting's excellent, besides Brando Karl Malden shines, and in the back Ben Johnson offers a sneaky and stealthy performance. There are also Slim Pickens, Katy Jurado and a few other known faces.
(around) 6.5/10

That's a pretty fair analysis, Mr. Devil. I think the film has a great first half hour and a pretty good finale, but everything in between is rather blah. Too much romance, as you say, too many scenes of characters sitting around talking, planning, drinking, brooding, scheming, target shooting, but not really doing anything. Not unlike Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, come to think of it; perhaps that's films weird dissonance is more a sign of auteurism than Sam just being drunk and tormented by the studio. Either way, Jacks is a so-so film that should have been a lot better.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »

The first 12 posts on this IMDB thread must be some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while.

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000030/nest/180683490?p=1

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:51 PM »

Drystyx + a delusional guy claiming a color film was in B&W. More worthy of a deprecatory headshake than a giggle.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 01:44:10 PM »

Forthcoming German blu-ray:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0051SUSXU/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver0c-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B0051SUSXU&creative=374929&camp=211189

Hope it's good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 12:28:57 PM »

DVD Savant provides this very interesting link: http://www.cinephiliabeyond.org/sam-peckinpahs-original-version-screenplay-one-eyed-jacks-marlon-brandos-directorial-effort/

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »

After eons I rewatched it (I bought the french widescreen dvd 4 years ago) and I must say that Brando here is a better director than actor. It is true that the movie is overlong and the romantic subplot slows down the little action there is. But what doesn't really work is Brando himself. He's fat , mumbles through his lines and that hat he wears is too small for his puffed up face. but those scenes in the beginning with the windswept hills are worth alone price of admission. So I give 7/10. There's been mention here (courtesy of late member Groggy  Cry) of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid: Strangely nobody here mentioned the similarity between the jailhouse scenes in both movies.  Also, the leather string on Brando's right hand reminded me of FFDM.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 03:23:57 AM »

After eons I rewatched it (I bought the french widescreen dvd 4 years ago) and I must say that Brando here is a better director than actor. It is true that the movie is overlong and the romantic subplot slows down the little action there is. But what doesn't really work is Brando himself. He's fat , mumbles through his lines and that hat he wears is too small for his puffed up face. but those scenes in the beginning with the windswept hills are worth alone price of admission. So I give 7/10. There's been mention here (courtesy of late member Groggy  Cry) of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid: Strangely nobody here mentioned the similarity between the jailhouse scenes in both movies.  Also, the leather string on Brando's right hand reminded me of FFDM.

I haven't watched in a long time either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »

There's been mention here (courtesy of late member Groggy  Cry) of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid: Strangely nobody here mentioned the similarity between the jailhouse scenes in both movies.

You need to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Death-Contentious-Afterlife-Garrett/dp/0810130564

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »

No, I don't.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »

Ok - well for anyone else who is interested there is a whole section in the book talking about One Eyed Jacks in the context of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

Personally I don't really appreciate the Seydor edit of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, but I do very much appreciate his extensive knowledge on the subject which makes for a great read.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »

thanks for the link  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »

Personally I don't really appreciate the Seydor edit of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, but I do very much appreciate his extensive knowledge on the subject which makes for a great read.

... and he always said in the book why this is not his edit, but one from Warner Bros. With him only helping out.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »

Seydor's hands were certainly tied to a degree. I also very much appreciate how he refused to touch the TCM cut. As he mentions, he was as upset as anyone with the treatment that received in the DVD set.

Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:22 AM »

If I remember right Kubrick had started shooting "One Eyed Jacks", but couldnt get along with Brando on the set, so he left within a week?
I love this film, especially the windswept valley fight at the beginning and Karl Malden is one of the greatest actors alive and still kickin in his nineties!
What a damn shame that it is not available on a widescreen dvd, as I know there was a fantastic widescreen laserdisc out around ten years ago.
You know the studios have just been lazy as they probably feel there is no market for this classic.

I just got round to watching this film for the first time last week. I really enjoyed it, it has it's flaws of course, but it comes at an interesting point in the history of the Western in American cinema and I think marks the change between the traditional West and the "new wave" West that got into full swing after the Spaghetti Westerns. I think someone on these boards mentioned that it was a bit "overblown" and it did remind me of the most overblown Western ever made (which I love) "Duel in the Sun".

Admittedly it would have been interesting to see what Kubrick would have done with the picture (Sam Peckinpah was also rumoured to writing the screenplay too). That said I think Brando does a very admirable job as a director and he obviously took a lot of time over it. I'm not a huge Brando fan, but he has a lot of natural charisma and I think he works great in the lead role. That said he is somewhat overshadowed by Karl Malden and Ben Johnson who are terrific. I watched it on a poorish quality DVD and would love to see this get a restoration it deserves. I'd rate it an 8/10.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »

... Sam Peckinpah was also rumoured to writing the screenplay too...

I would recommend the book I mentioned above in this regard. Certainly a lot more than a rumor...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM