Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:54:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Yankee or Confed
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yankee or Confed  (Read 6666 times)
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 05:46:59 AM »

Yes Tim, I did mean that movie. Obviously my memeory is playing tricks. Wrong "man with gangere in leg with command problems" film.

Hmm. I wonder what it was I was thinking of then...??

Beebs
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 08:09:53 PM »

It seems like Leone was trying to show how utterly stupid war is through the eyes of three people.  All they cared about was getting the gold, and the side they had to take made absolutely no difference to them.

No I don't think Leone's intent was that war is "Stupid". Stupid would never be my adjective choice next to war. I think he was showing how much Gold and Cash can interfere on a person (or through the eyes of three people as you said). They cared so much about getting to the cash that none gave a hootin hell about the war.

In my opinion, Blondie is the only one who takes sympathy on the war and the soldiers, not in an anti war sense, just a sympathy for a man going through the toughest kinds of tests. Blondie, being the "Golden-haired Angel", is the one who shares his cigar with the dying soldier. His sympathy is not with the war but the soldiers.

Beebs
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 08:16:41 PM »

In some ways the relationship between him and Angel Eyes reminds me of that between Morton and Frank in OUTIW. Again we have a crippled boss unable to control his subordonate, and is even mocked by him. Possibly this prototype stems from the John Wayne version of THE ALAMO, where Lawrence Harvey, with a badly wounded leg (and with gangerene? It's been years since I saw it...) can not control Richard Widmark.

Reminds me of that relationship too. The interesting thing I found while reading your post was that the so called "copy" of this relationship in the Alamo actually did occur in the real Alamo. Bowie had fallen off of a wooden ramp being used to haul a cannon up onto the wall and broke his rips. It is believed his rib puntured his lungs but it is also known that he had teberculosis (sorry for the spelling). But yes, the same relationship. But I wouldnt say with John Wayne. Travis was the uncontrolable chivalry hungry youth with a big ego.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 09:00:36 PM »

Bowie is the one with the leg problem or back problem I think he fell off the wall.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 12:29:52 PM »

Like Dave, I just figured he bumped off a Union sergeant, stole his duds, took his spot (there were no photo I.D.s in those days).  Just like I always figured no problem for Tuco to round up some slugs to ambush Blondie, didn't make much difference to the plot whether he knew those three.

OK! so what name was Angel Eyes going under. He must have taken the sergeants name..."I bet they dont call you Sergeant Angel Eyes.. Uh!"
You cant just walk into a camp and say I'm sergeant joe bloggs and I'm now 2nd in command....er or can you Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »

No, but on the other hand you don't sign up in the army as a sargent. That takes several years of hard graft -  time "Sargent Angel Eyes" hasn't put in. The one conclusion must be that he has stolen the identity of a legit soldier who was assigned to the post, and was killed/murdered before he could physically report to his gangerous Captain.

He seems to have gone to all this trouble just to rob his prisoners, as he seems quite stunned when he hears the name "Arch Stanton" suddenly announced in role call.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2005, 06:03:11 PM »

Actually, he hears the name "Bill Carson." If he had heard "Arch Stanton" (and knew its significance) he wouldn't have needed to partner with Blondie.

It does seem, though, that Angel Eyes has gone to the fort for just that reason: to find someone claiming to be Carson (Otherwise why is he there?) Of course, he is expecting that Jackson will be there (someone he has never seen) going under the name of Bill Carson. The surprise is that it is his old firend Tuco who is using Carson's name. Angel Eyes figures, rightly, that Tuco must have been with the real Jackson/Carson at the point of dying (knowing Tuco) and that Tuco got some valuable info from the dying man. And the plot follows naturally from this supposition.

Again, logical inferences can be made in support of the plot, but Sergio was always confident enough in his storytelling to leave such things to his audience. Refreshingly, he didn't feel the need to constantly spell things out for us.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 06:11:55 PM »

Actually, he hears the name "Bill Carson."

Oops. Too much vino...  Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM