Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:55:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why do we love OUATIA so much?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do we love OUATIA so much?  (Read 12145 times)
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 02:05:51 AM »

3. the use of the beatles "yesterday"... at the bus station

The use of Yesterday is to me one of the worst aspects of this movie - it's just too tacky - this version sounds like supermarket muzac, music for malls. And everytime I see it, it kind of embarasses me - how could they do this? It's too obvious, way too - "in your face-feel-nostalgic-Now!!"- like.

Check out Jon's reasons from may 2003 in this thread instead.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 02:48:32 AM »

Gramps, you think OUATIA is better even than OUATITW? Since when???

since i saw both of them on the big screen a while ago... west was still fantastic but america in all it's epic awesomeness just jumped out at me as the greatest movie ever made.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 02:51:52 AM »

3. the use of the beatles "yesterday"... at the bus station, and by morricone in the final confrontation between noodles and woods, it's almost as if the song was written for the movie, and even though not many lyrics are used, the melody fits perfectly and gives the final confrontation a really nostalgic and 'all or nothing' feel to it. One of the greatest songs ever written, used flawlessly in the greatest film ever made... as good a reason as any.

maybe you have a bit of a point about the bus station part being a little, and i mean a very little, tacky... but it's pretty subtle and beautiful played by the house band in the background of the final confrontation between max and noodles.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 10:22:55 AM »

The use of Yesterday is to me one of the worst aspects of this movie - it's just too tacky - this version sounds like supermarket muzac, music for malls. And everytime I see it, it kind of embarasses me - how could they do this? It's too obvious, way too - "in your face-feel-nostalgic-Now!!"- like.

Check out Jon's reasons from may 2003 in this thread instead.

I agree. I think it's the problem when directors use existing music, it makes appear their intentions too obvious. Using existing music is a way of facility and give the audience the feeling to be in a supermarket instead of being in front of a real work of art.
 Plus the more ironic that immediately after Yesterday, there is this beautiful pan flute Morricone score, so strong, Yesterday gave no more to the movie than silence compared to this one.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 10:28:01 AM by Dlanor » Logged
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 11:05:56 AM »

wow... you guys are either crazy or just simply refuse to like ANYTHING commercial... so what if it's a popular song, it's a great tune and it fits perfectly, get over it.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 02:59:55 PM »

That's not new, that's not the movie but something wich existed before, that's reharshing.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 05:00:21 PM »

what difference does it make if it wasn't new or made for the movie... morricone adapted it, and if it sounds right why not.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 01:28:09 AM »

The difference is that a work of art must have a certain independance, exists on its own. If you start from zero you must have faith because nothing is there, if you have existing thing, it's more attractive because you already have the thing, but it's a trap. Plus the original wasn't conceived to be use in that context. It can't exist anymore and is now associated with....in the mind of people.
 If Morricone adpated it, it's cool. FOD theme is an adaption too, but more far from the original. Leone gave him a tune and he said I want to recognize this one in your theme. An as the result, we didn't recognized the original song but it made remember it, it has the same spirit. It's the difference between copy and inspiration.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 01:30:27 AM by Dlanor » Logged
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 01:35:50 AM »

by that ridiculous theory the whole movie is illigitamate because it was based on a book... morricone scored with an orchestra based on a song played with a guitar and some violins... i say thats good enough not to be just plugging in the song, but even if they did just plug in the song i really don't see how that automatically makes it unlikable... i can accept that you just don't like it there... but if it's BECAUSE it's a popular song and not because it doesn't fit well, then i take issue with that... see it for what it is, music accompanying two scenes... if you still don't like it fine, but to dislike it on the grounds that it's popular music is a little ridiculous in my mind.

Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 05:32:24 AM »

I don't give a good goddamn if it's original or not, that's got nothing to do with it. It's just the fact that the song Yesterday is just tacky in itself - and has come to be the single most copied song in the world - it's aired constantly, in some version or the other, on some radio station on the planet. Maybe it was beautiful 35 years ago but NOT anymore, and DEFINITELY NOT in some lame version. As I said, it's supermarket-smoothness that Yesterday represents to me, and that's not compatible with the feelings that OUATIA communicates in other crucial moments.

"Yesterday" would work fine for some middle-aged housewife with WASP values shopping in the local mall - but it doesn't work in OUATIA. Works a bit better in the party-scene, where it is more subtle and in the background, than in the train station scene, though.

Loads of scores or soundtracks contain "non-original" music, and to me that's just fine, but not in this case. Yesterday is too worn out.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 05:47:04 AM »

I guess it's not so much a case of originality, just for me it kind of breaks down the sophistication of the film a bit. I actually think it's quite clever the way it's subtley in the background in the old noodles/senator bailey scene. I guess the thing that annoys me most is those little snatches of vocal in the bus station scene "Yesterday...", it makes it distracting.

It's class.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 07:43:49 AM »

What about the Amapola?  That wasn't an original piece of music either.  Tongue

Then again, I never really cared for The Beatles, so I guess I agree with you on "Yesterday".

Saturday nights with Groggy
Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 12:18:09 AM »

Then again, I never really cared for The Beatles, so I guess I agree with you on "Yesterday".

Wooops! I never said anything about the Beatles, definitely one of history's best bands, it's just that "Yesterday"... well, it's one of Pauls McCartney's sweet little sugar songs and as such certainly one of the few songs of the Beatles (like "Love Me Do" and other early stuff) that I don't appreciate a whole lot.

From "Rubber Soul" and onwards most of their music is gold... except "Obladih Obladah" - another turd from McCartney. Leone could have used it for Duck You Sucker, imagine "obladih obladah" playing in the likewise quite tasteless rape-scene. Would have probably made it better, even.  Grin

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2005, 03:04:28 PM »

Wouldn't it have been better if Noodles looked in the mirror and heard Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin instead? Grin

But seriously, that scene made me feel like I was watching a sentimental American TV movie/show like Taxi or something, though I've grown used to it. It's the "Suddenly..." part that actually bothers me though, and not the "Yesterday..." because I think to myself, in order for the scene to not be cheesey, "It- it's playing in the train station, yeah, it's not being used in a narrative way!" and it kind of makes me get by that scene with dignity, and I think that if the "Suddenly..." was not there that the scene would be more likeable, because it could be as if, after the "Yesterday..." that Lennon's voice just gets blocked off from Noodles' mind and it's just the music Grin

Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 02:25:27 AM »

Another great Zeppelin tune for that scene would be "Dancing Days" Shocked

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM