Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 06:17:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Very important info on A Fistful of Dynamite Special Edition!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very important info on A Fistful of Dynamite Special Edition!  (Read 9587 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

It also features censored lines such as the removal of '******' in at least two cases (Steiger's line "Why am I mixed up in this fucking revolution..." and Coburn's line "If they were able to get this fucking thing out of the way..." are both censored). I'll provide samples if anyone tells me how.
Also, the new DYS has Malory telling Juan, on the other side a wall and about to throw a stick of dynamite, "Duck, you sucker." On the US laserdisc from 1996 he says, "Short fuse."

I don't know which version is right. I think The clint has established the fact that there are problems with the new version of DYS, but I'm not certain the old MGM DVD is the standard by which all versions should be measured. There may be several versions of the film, with various soundtracks out there, and it may be years before we can sort out what the definitive audio of the English dub should be.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 05:05:41 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 09:19:21 AM »

banjo, you don't seem to understand my point, we're talking about desecration of Ennio Morricone's carefully timed music, not surround remasters.
I take your point The Clint.I should've read your thread more carefully  but i've quite often heard folk say that only the original audio track should be on these SE DVD's as this was how it was intended to be heard.Fair enough but i like to have both!
I'll take your word for it about all the various anomalies as i haven't studied the DVD hard enough to notice but the new harsh tone of Morricones soundtrack is without question unsatisfactory-whoever's responsible for this is obviously not a fan!

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »

OFF TOPIC Wink

I just bought the Japanese Mercenary and Face to Face DVDs off of Ebay tonight and it was probably $35 in all counting shipping.

I think you meant to say you bought bootleg copies of the japanese discs of Mercenary and Face to Face? Wink  Grin (unless you of course were extremely lucky... as bootlegs are pretty much all ebay has to offer)

Sorry, but I had to.  Tongue

Anyways, the japanese discs cost $40-50 as new, and the Mercenary disc is the only available official widescreen uncut english language version... and has been completely out of print for almost one year already. I doubt you can find it under $50 anywhere (good luck even finding one somewhere... jap amazon actually has two but the prices are around $70-80 I think and the sellers wont ship outside Japan) unless the seller is really stupid.

Craig
Road Apple

People scare better when they're dying.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 06:30:52 PM »

OFF TOPIC Wink

I think you meant to say you bought bootleg copies of the japanese discs of Mercenary and Face to Face? Wink  Grin (unless you of course were extremely lucky... as bootlegs are pretty much all ebay has to offer)

Sorry, but I had to.  Tongue

Anyways, the japanese discs cost $40-50 as new, and the Mercenary disc is the only available official widescreen uncut english language version... and has been completely out of print for almost one year already. I doubt you can find it under $50 anywhere (good luck even finding one somewhere... jap amazon actually has two but the prices are around $70-80 I think and the sellers wont ship outside Japan) unless the seller is really stupid.

I got my Japanese Mercanary DVD a few weeks ago off of ebay at about ~$20 US.

I doesn't seem like a bootleg to me. How can I tell?

Did you bring a horse for me? Well... looks like we're...*snickers*..looks like we're shy one horse. You brought two too many.
Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 07:16:57 PM »

I got my Japanese Mercanary DVD a few weeks ago off of ebay at about ~$20 US.

I doesn't seem like a bootleg to me. How can I tell?

Well, I'm sorry to say but I'd think yours is a bootleg, just based on what I read from your thread... As you say you have only a region 1 player. The Stingray disc of Mercenary (and I think all japanese discs) is supposed to be region 2 only (I haven't got it myself so I can't say for sure, but all jap discs I have are region 2 only and one of them is from the same series [legend of gunmen box] from Stingray).
The review here http://www.10kbullets.com/reviews/mercenary.htm says it's Region 2, as does the online shop www.xploitedcinema.com .

One thing to check is the color of the data side of the disc. Atleast most of the burned DVDR discs are purple colored, while pressed original discs are silvery or maybe some might be gold (I'm not sure but I think I have seen some).

I somehow doubt there would be perfect copies of these discs available in Ebay but everything's possible. Atleast some years ago (don't know the current situation) Ebay had almost perfect copies of certain Criterion releases (John Woo's The Killer and Hard Boiled atleast). The discs apparently had almost perfect looking covers and disc art and they were pressed discs with correct colored data side. I think there was somekind of very small color mistake done, maybe intentionally or not, with the disc art... can't remember exact details anymore. But basically they were so well done that you couldn't know the difference without knowing what to look for.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 07:19:52 PM by Sundance » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 08:16:47 PM »

Also there are a couple of interesting extras included with authentic packaging: a glossy b&w of Franco Nero (on the back of the chapters list) and one of those old-style 3-D effect cards that combines the cover art with a 4-month calendar highlighting the release dates of other Stingray SWs. Of course, if you buy a used copy of the disc you may not get these things anyway....

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Craig
Road Apple

People scare better when they're dying.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »

Yeah, you're probably right about it being a bootleg. It does have a blueish tinge to the DVD, and there were no inserts. The DVD itself has a pressed image, it's not to usually cheap bootleg sticker.

The bootlegger did a great job though, the packaging looks great and the quality of the DVD is excellent. As long as the quality and packaging are comparable to the real thing, I guess that I really don't care if it's a bootleg or not--especially if it's $20 or more less than the original.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 08:50:22 PM by Craig » Logged

Did you bring a horse for me? Well... looks like we're...*snickers*..looks like we're shy one horse. You brought two too many.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 03:37:41 AM »

Well, I'm sorry to say but I'd think yours is a bootleg, just based on what I read from your thread... As you say you have only a region 1 player. The Stingray disc of Mercenary (and I think all japanese discs) is supposed to be region 2 only (I haven't got it myself so I can't say for sure, but all jap discs I have are region 2 only and one of them is from the same series [legend of gunmen box] from Stingray).
I have a multi-regional dvd player and a Region 2 only player.I get most of my DVDs from Amazon so i doubt if any are bootlegs but out of the many Region 1 discs i've bought so far to my surprise there's only four that won't play on the Region 2 player and i guess this maybe because ther isn't an encoded block on the discs that do play.Just a couple of weeks ago i bought the Region 1 Criterion Life of Brian DVD off Amazon and it plays on the Region 2 player no problem!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 05:25:39 AM »

We've just received the Season 3 Kung Fu box set from Amazon USA.This immaculately packaged DVD set(theres just no way this can be a bootleg) is NTSC on Region 1 but again it plays on both my Panasonic Region 2 recorder and player.You'd have thought of all people Warner Brothers would encode the discs to make them unplayable outside the USA and Canada,and i'm beginning to take all this "Region" business with a pinch of salt!

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »

We've just received the Season 3 Kung Fu box set from Amazon USA.This immaculately packaged DVD set(theres just no way this can be a bootleg) is NTSC on Region 1 but again it plays on both my Panasonic Region 2 recorder and player.You'd have thought of all people Warner Brothers would encode the discs to make them unplayable outside the USA and Canada,and i'm beginning to take all this "Region" business with a pinch of salt!

Well I'm thinking it's your player that's screwed up. Grin Wink

EDIT: Ah damn, I'll edit the whole thing. Grin

I don't know about the Kung Fu set much, but DVDfile's review mentions the disc to be region 1, but I'm not sure if they ever even check the region codings themselves. Other reviews mention nothing about the coding. Season 1 is said to have region 1 coding by DVDBeaver which I'd think would know their stuff.

And as you said as well, Warner should be one to include region coding in their discs. But who knows... maybe some companies are finally thinking that region coding is not needed.

Concerning your first message, most if not all Criterions are region 0 though, as are Anchor Bay's spaghetti westerns (except maybe for one, can't remember for sure), and probably a whole lot of other more cult stuff from many companies. Then again Koch Media from Germany (and X-Rated I think) are always region 2, as are the japanese spaghetti discs.

My own Sony standalone player can play all regions... if I enter a region 1 disc it changes the player's region coding into 1, if I put region 4 disc the region changes to 4. The player wasn't like this when I bought it, but the multiregional functionality was coded into the programming of the player, I just needed a good enough remote to active it (the player even displayed a "SUCCESS" message when I had enabled the multiregional coding).

Someone might wonder why the player just isn't in region 0 all the time. I guess the people at Sony were wise and encoded it like it is.... as if I have understood correctly if I'd put an R1 RCE encoded disc into region 0 drive it wouldn't play... because those discs check if they can play the disc in more than one region and if they can then the disc doesn't play.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:03:03 PM by Sundance » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 06:13:18 AM »

Well I'm thinking it's your player that's screwed up.
Unfortunately not because 3 of the 4 it won't play are the Region 1 DVDs of GBU,UOATITW and Companeros.
The other Region 1 discs my Region 2 player will play are Strangers Gundown and Today We Kill,Tommorow You Die-both on VCI Entertainment and Run Man Run on Blue Underground.Theres a handful of other SW dvds i've bought from Amazon where they state these are Region 1 but theres nothing to indicate this on the sleeves so i guess these are maybe Region 0 despite what Amazon says.
I've got the first two Kung Fu season box sets on Region 2 and i got fed up with the wait for Season 3 which is why i bought the Region 1 set from Amazon and i was expecting this only to be playable on my cheap Yakumo multi-region player.
    Oh yeau i recently got the complete Python first series of 4 dvds(NTSC,Region 1 but not Criterion) and these play ok too!!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM