Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:04:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  #1 Western on IMDb
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: #1 Western on IMDb  (Read 23506 times)
Christopher
« on: May 03, 2003, 09:10:09 PM »

I just recently noticed over on the Internet Movie Database that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the highest rated western on the whole site (Number two on the list happens to be Once Upon a Time in the West).

I've felt for a while that Sergio Leone did something with the western that had never been done before by an American director and I don't think his style has ever been quite matched since. Apparently, a lot of voters over on the IMDb happen to agree.

I didn't notice anyplace else on the board where this was mentioned, so I figured I would. I don't know a lot about Leone's other work besides the "Dollars Trilogy," (my introduction into his work is from being a big Eastwood fan) but I do look forward to watching some of these other movies that he made.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 07:39:26 PM »

Thanks for the info Christofer, thats good to know.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:27:02 PM »

I strongly agree that GBU and OUATITW are the two greatest westerns ever. It's amazing that they voted for those masterpieces. All You Voters at IMDB.com, You Guys Rock!

David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 11:06:12 AM »

I strongly agree that GBU and OUATITW are the two greatest westerns ever. It's amazing that they voted for those masterpieces. All You Voters at IMDB.com, You Guys Rock!
Or not... those voters also put all the original Star Wars films and the Lord Of The Rings in the top 10 of all time... how could that ever happen?

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 12:06:33 PM »

What's really amazing to me is that the fact that the top two (and we all know why) were conceived, written, produced, directed, etc., by crews from Italy, yet resulted in what americans consider the ultimate westerns.  Think about it - no one could have ever predicted that in the 1960s, or that we'd still all be discussing these so many years later.  There's a lot of junk out there, and my guess is there will be no web site 35 years from now discussing the "Police Academy" series, etc.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 12:40:40 PM »

It's my favorite, with OUATIA second, FOFDM third, FOD fourth and The Magnificent Seven fifth.

More feeling.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 10:26:46 PM »

other than those two i think i only FOD and high noon are in the same league.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 02:41:10 AM »

leone's "style" could make him THE only director whose every effort brings forth yet another masterpiece.  from colossus of rhodes to FOD is the furthest leap into the beyond any director has  taken.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 03:22:38 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Bill Carson
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 03:39:44 AM »

Cool HOLA CUSSER! my friend! thanks for 'cussing' the god-awful Police Academy movies (UGHH!) you know why? well, I remember back in the 80's when I was at Primary school, all the kids in my class were banging on and on about this new 'comedy', so I watched it at my Dad's video shop one evening and even at that young age, I thought it was just NOT FUNNY!  and I also recall that as a stubborn little loud mouth, I was comparing that film with one THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! I WIN!!!!! AT LAST!!!!  .... sorry, post traumatic stress....  Angry

Bill Carson
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »

Cool however...! back to the subject of the #1 western on the ol' IMDB, I'm glad GBU is there; the only other western that I think qualifies is THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.

whenthechimesend..
Bandido

when the chimes end, pick up your gun.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »

Also notice how GBU is #5 on the all-time movies list.

You have a notion of what that means? Out of all the 15000 or so titles out in that site, only 4 of them are above our beloved GBU!

Leone doesn't stop here though: OUATITW-#24, OUATIA-#111, and FAFDM-#136!

'Tis really awesome, it is! Check it out by yourself!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:30:29 PM by whenthechimesend.. » Logged

Kurugen
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »

I just recently noticed over on the Internet Movie Database that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the highest rated western on the whole site (Number two on the list happens to be Once Upon a Time in the West).

I've felt for a while that Sergio Leone did something with the western that had never been done before by an American director and I don't think his style has ever been quite matched since. Apparently, a lot of voters over on the IMDb happen to agree.

I didn't notice anyplace else on the board where this was mentioned, so I figured I would. I don't know a lot about Leone's other work besides the "Dollars Trilogy," (my introduction into his work is from being a big Eastwood fan) but I do look forward to watching some of these other movies that he made.

good news but could be great if it was the other way around

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

What's really amazing to me is that the fact that the top two (and we all know why) were conceived, written, produced, directed, etc., by crews from Italy, yet resulted in what americans consider the ultimate westerns.  Think about it - no one could have ever predicted that in the 1960s, or that we'd still all be discussing these so many years later.

My question is: how many americans know those movies were made by italians and shot in Spain? I don't think they're many: they see Eastwood and that's that.
About the second part, I'd like to add that though we lambasted a lot of american critics of the '60s for looking down on Leone and SW, the situation wasn't (I'd say: isn't) much different over here in Italy. The fact is that, with the Internet, nobody cares anymore.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 04:13:49 AM »

My question is: how many americans know those movies were made by italians and shot in Spain? I don't think they're many: they see Eastwood and that's that.

You are right, I check that IMDb board every day or so, there are quite a few first time posters that don't realize the films are Italian, a typical question is "why is the title in Italian", lol, or they wonder why the sound seems out of sync not realizing that its dubbed.

Fame came a bit late for Leone, Eastwood got all the buzz when the films debued here. Now if it had happened today Leone would be treated in the same manner as Tarantino is.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 04:33:46 AM »

On the other hand, I think Leone was the first director I knew by name - no kidding. Before I saw the films, when we knew only the music, we asked about the films and father told us, though he hadn't seen them either. That's how I remember it.
When I look back, it really seems to me that I was just gradually growing to see Leone's films... something that waited in me to be found on right time. Grin

And I would also prefer OUATITW as Western Nr.1. Even my history teacher thinks the same...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM