Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 05:21:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favorite scene?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite scene?  (Read 4765 times)
C Youngblood
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2005, 04:58:21 PM »

In my filmclass we was allowed to show a 5-10 minutes clip from a movie that we like. I was going to choose this, but didn't because it drove me mad to choose ONE scene in the movie.  Smiley

There are so many great scenes. This movie i simply perfect, right through it. There is not a scene in the movie that is a waste and isn't there because of nothing.

Whats your favorite?

Mine are the scene where Jill waits at the trainstation, when Frank and his men kills Mcbains', when Frank are stabding and just watches as Morton slowly dies, and the scene where Frank comes riding on his horse to meet Harmonica and the duel with the flashback, must be the best scene ever. Smiley

Frank: So, you're the one who makes appointments.
Harmonica: And you're the one who doesn't keep them.
HEX
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 05:57:04 PM »

the duel with the flashback, must be the best scene ever. Smiley

i concur. my fave scene.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 07:40:27 PM »

the mcbain massacre

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:32:03 AM »

Again, the duel with flashback for me.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Beebs
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 08:45:12 AM »

I used to just pop in the DVD just to skip to the duel and flashback.  Starting with Harmonica sitting and waiting and then that music as Frank in all black rides up.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:05:36 PM »

I don't think I could name a one, but rather than listing about eight, I'll say Morton's death scene, since it's not likely to come up again.  Great scene with wonderful music, direction, and acting without saying a word.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:00:03 PM »

I really like the scene where Cheyenne and his boys shoot up Morton's train, especially the bit where he shoots Morton but is gut-shot in turn. In my mind I replay that scene over and over again.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 11:23:08 PM »

especially the bit where he shoots Morton but is gut-shot in turn. In my mind I replay that scene over and over again.

was that even filmed? I thought we only learned this later in the movie.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 06:15:07 AM »

I don't believe it was ever filmed, and I'm glad it wasn't. I remmeber the first time I saw the film and Cheyenne collapses near the end, its the shock of Morton becoming like Frank for a brief second and using the gun instead of the money and I think it adds to the scene really well.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
HEX
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 07:38:07 AM »

I really like the scene where Cheyenne and his boys shoot up Morton's train, especially the bit where he shoots Morton but is gut-shot in turn. In my mind I replay that scene over and over again.

DAVE is this a joke? this is not in the film(not shown any way).
well thanks for the vision anyway Grin Wink

Beebs
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 08:14:02 PM »

I have never seen it. But thats the story Cheyenne tells to Bronson. I'd like to see it.

Tim
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 12:45:15 PM »

My favorite scene is the opening sequence.  All the natural sounds, Elam playing with the fly, Strode's hat catching the water, Muloch cracking his knuckles, the windmill, its all great.

And then when it appears no one got off the train, you hear the harmonica.  I've seen it a hundred times and that moment still gives me chills. 

As well, the scene has my favorite line.
Harmonica: Did you bring a horse for me?
Elam: No, looks like we're one short.
Harmonica: No, you brought two too many.

anancientrace
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 09:35:16 AM »

Oh the best scene is Cheyenne's first meeting with Harmonica in the tavern, run by Lionel Stander's character.

That build up with a massacre outside - how many do you suppose Cheyenne killed? - the harmonica music accompanied first sip from the "JUG" and the swinging lantern light proving Bronson's ability not to blink makes him perfect casting in the part.  Cool

The soundtrack on this scene was changed on several versions I saw, but they seem to have got it right now. Would you believe that scene was cut in some versions. No wonder it made no sense. Neither Cheyenne or Jill had every met Harmonica - so the rest of the film was extremely confusing.  Roll Eyes Those American producers - "they didn't know how to play" "Bravo" to their stupidity.   Grin

Oh the train shooting, like Harmonica using that name, Dave Jenkins is pulling our chains - or maybe the one Frank uses to start the train moving. If that scene was every filmed I haven't seen it in over 35 years of watching the film. How unlucky must I be?  Wink

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 09:45:30 AM by anancientrace » Logged
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »

Whats your favorite?

I absolutely adore the opening sequence with Frank's goons coming up to wait for the train and the achingly long and quiet interval until the train actually arrives.  I remember when I first saw the movie and I was quite literally transfixed by the air of palpable tension, made even more remarkable by the fact that at this point in the movie you don't even know who's who or what's going on.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 11:48:08 AM »

JamesK - the whole opening is continuously shown at the Leone exhibit at the Western Museum in Los Angeles, through January.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM