Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:19:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  TAKE A HARD RIDE(1974)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAKE A HARD RIDE(1974)  (Read 13610 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »

Personally I'd like to see "El Condor" again  Embarrassed

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »

Have you seen El Condor?
no...

so you do have Kid Vengeance?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »

Yeah,i watched Barquero earlier on and despite some pacing problems its a goodie with a great battle of wills between LVC and Warren Oates(he was excellent) 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 05:57:36 PM »

Personally I'd like to see "El Condor" again  Embarrassed
I was lucky enough to tape this off the tv a few years ago but i'm not a big fan of LVCs character in this one which seems to have a similar goofiness to those displayed in his (unfunny)comedy parts in Beyond The Law.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 06:06:45 PM »

I was lucky enough to tape this off the tv a few years ago but i'm not a big fan of LVCs character in this one which seems to have a similar goofiness to those displayed in his (unfunny)comedy parts in Beyond The Law.
I really enjoy LVC's comic performances, so I might enjoy El Condor.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 07:08:53 PM »

Yes Jaroo is very much like Cudlip, from what I remember in fact that was the first thing I thought of after watching BTL, that's why I'd like to see it again, just to make a final judgement about the film.

My only impressions were that LVC wasn't playing a Mortimer type character, Jim Brown was cool, and the comparatively midget indians looked pretty ridiculous.

Now I'd like to give it a mature view.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 11:17:52 PM »

Banjo, I briefly reviewed this in OPINIONS ON THESE 28.... It's more of a blaxploitation-spaghetti hybrid. Williamson, Brown and Kelly also teamed up in THREE THE HARD WAY, ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO and TOUGH GUYS.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 01:13:21 AM »

Yes AC i remember that excellent review which prompted me into getting the dvd.I was a bit disappointed in Jim Kellys performance but maybe i was comparing his role too much with his brilliantly cool character in Enter The Dragon.
Is there another kung fu type movie where Kelly excells?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »

Kelly did a few HK films although he was not well liked because of his lack of skill in that it was difficult for him to follow the choreographers movements. Here is a partial list of films I know of-
BLACK BELT JONES 1974-from the director of ENTER THE DRAGON
THE TATTOOED DRAGON 1977
HOT POTATO 1976(?)
THE BLACK SAMURAI 197?-from schlock King Al Adamson who did the uproariously funny DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN with Lon Chaney Jr. and the immortal HORROR OF THE BLOOD MONSTERS which has around 10 different alias'.
Kelly fights the same in these as he did in ETD. I'm not a fan of any of these nor ETD but BLACK BELT JONES is pretty funny I must say. If you enjoy blaxploitation you should definitely see it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:49:56 PM by Arizona Colt » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 03:51:20 AM »

Kelly did a few HK films although he was not well liked because of his lack of skill
  Wasn't he a karate world champion?
In reality i don't think i heard of Bruce Lee winning any tournaments or belts so was he really the best and he only  looked so brilliant due to the choreography?
Or had he have taken on the karate champions or whatever he would've beaten them?Chuck Noriss was also a karate champion but in The Way Of The Dragon,Lee looks in a different class with Norrisses movements looking stuttered and jerky in comparison.   

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 11:18:52 PM »

Bruce never competed in tournaments. Most americans appear a bit robotic doing the HK style of fighting. I don't know if Kelly was a champ or not. I only know that he had a bit of an attitude and he couldn't keep up with the HK style of choreography. Norris was a champion of course. Although I couldn't find it in his autobiography, he was beaten(only once)in a full contact tournament by HK actor John Liu who had some of the most amazing kicking abilities ever to grace the screen. Liu was famous for SECRET RIVALS 1,2,3,  MARS VILLA, THE INCREDIBLE KUNG FU MISSION and INVINCIBLE ARMOR. He was taught by another HK actor Tan Tao Liang who was popular during the 70s in films like THE HOT, THE COOL & THE VICIOUS, SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL and THE LEG FIGHTERS.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 11:46:16 PM »

watched "Man From nowhere" (Arizona Colt) just now.

good stuff.

only complaints are...

1. 15 minutes of the film could be cut.

2. Whiskey should have died at the end (simple as that). Why didnt the townsfolk hassle him about the gold?

3. Gordo should have been shown hung. Instead of showing Whiskey alive and well, show Gordo as dead as a door nail hanging from a rope or something.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »

Bruce never competed in tournaments.
So is it hypothesised that he was still the best?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 10:18:01 PM »

Yes. By not participating in tournaments doesn't mean you're any less skilled he just didn't like the tournament scene. However, for the four completed films he made he was constantly challenged on the sets. He was known to be quite arrogant and his screen persona matched his off screen one. Many chinese believe to this day that the Triads(chinese mafia)had something to do with his death as they were heavily involved within the HK film industry to the dismay of decent filmmakers.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 10:20:53 PM »

watched "Man From nowhere" (Arizona Colt) just now.

good stuff.

only complaints are...

1. 15 minutes of the film could be cut.

2. Whiskey should have died at the end (simple as that). Why didnt the townsfolk hassle him about the gold?

3. Gordo should have been shown hung. Instead of showing Whiskey alive and well, show Gordo as dead as a door nail hanging from a rope or something.
There's another Gemma box set from Japan that has ARIZONA COLT(which I bet blows away WEs version.)but sadly in italian only(if only someone would sync up the english track).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM