Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:15:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Four of The Apocalypse
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Four of The Apocalypse  (Read 13281 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 06:49:07 PM »

Fulci only did the two

correction, Fulci has done three spaghetti westerns.

Massacre Time

Four of the apocalypse

and...

Silver saddle

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:45:12 AM »

Leone Admirer's  review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Four Of The Apocalypse

I've never been a great fan of Fulci. Whilst gore doesn't put me off a film, I'm not a huge gore fan so I've never actively seeked out his films or most Italian horrors. So I approached this film with some trepedation, fueled by the back of the DVD case telling me that "Due to its graphic nature FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE was banned or censored in many countries and never seen in America." I put the DVD in the player and watched it, Boy was I surprised, rather the watching an out and out gore fest, though I have to admit some of the scenes were rather nasty, I was watching an interesting, fast paced, exciting and even touching road movie esque western!
      The film begins with four hard luck strangers, Stubby Preston (Fabio Testi), Bunny, the pregnant prostitute (Lynne Frederick), Clem the drunk (Michael J Pollard) and Bud, a madman who sees dead people (Harry Baird) surving a vigilante slaughter and heading toward Sand City. On the way they meet disturbing stranger Chaco (Tomas Milian) who, depsite his seemingly pleasent nature seems to be hiding some evil desires.
      The characters presented in the film don't have much history, you only find out their proffesion through some exposition in a jail house at the begining of the movie. It seems fate throw these four strangers together and after the opening horrific experience with the vigilantes, which in a sadistic way makes sense but seems completely over the top (You'll understand if and when you'll see the movie) they forge relationships to varying degrees. The thing that is hard about the films is that three of the characters are seemingly punished, ridiculed and tortured by not only evil Chaco but the director as well. Stubby has his testicles crushed, Bunny is brutally raped and Clem is made to drink Whiskey spat out by Chaco and behave like a dog before being shot in the leg. The only person who seems to get away relatively unscated is Bud, whose childlike dimentia is perhaps something Fulci sympathises with.
     The love affair that begins to grow between Bunny and Stubbs is very touching and you could see blossoming out of such hardships. When Bunny's baby is finally born in a snow covered town it is a very touching and almost tear inducing scene.
   The character of Chaco is certianly one of the most deranged I've ever seen in a Spaghetti Western. Milian plays him as almost pure evil, with animalistic urges and a person who kills for the sheer joy of killing. The crosses that Milian put under the characters eyes just makes him more disturbing and as is pointed out in the accompanying featurette on the DVD makes him seem more like Charles Manson.
     The acting of the film is very good. Testi plays the stong man who slowly begins to crumble as he and his gang face the hellish situations thrust upon them is very well realised. Frederick is very good as Bunny, whose playful and scared side helps build audience sympathy towards her and her growing relationship with Stubby. Pollard is as good as Clem and its heart breaking and disturbing to see him so abbused by Chaco. Baird, whose part isn't huge in the film, plays the deranged man very well. Milian is his usual excellent self, playing the creepiness of the character very well, the only other thing I have to say about the character is that he reminds me of Johnny Depp's character Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Carribean!
     Fulci's direction is very good. As expected when gore happens it is pretty nasty and a scene involving the cutting of a slice of a mans chest is particually grusome to watch. However he manages to create sympathy and emotion towards the four main protagonists, more then I thought he would have done regarding the story and that has to be commended. His framing is also very good and he keeps the film at a brisk pace, literally throwing the four into different, more violent and surreal situations.
    Music was interesting also, the least Morricone esque sound I have heard in a spaghetti western, it is a good if a product of the seventies. The folksy song that narrates the story along sounds a lot like Simon and Garfunkle but helps the mood. Other music has keyboards and electrical guitars which in my opinion betray the age of the film, rather like the Goblin score for the original Dawn of the Dead (though I must admit to quite liking that score.)
    This DVD was part of a boxset called Once Upon A Time In Italy: The Spaghetti Western Collection which was released by Anchor Bay for R1 and contains the films Texas Adios, A Bullet For The General, Companeros, Four Of The Apocalypse and Keoma. These can also be bought seperatly.
     The print used by Anchor Bay for the film is in good shape. It appears soft at times but I think that was the directors choice. There is very little damage to the print and it is altogether most pleasing and the 1.85:1 aspect ratio which was put to good use by Fulci is presented how it deserves.
   Anchor Bay tells us that "The presentation of FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE is complete and uncut, featuring scenes omitted from all previous English language releases. Because these scenes were never dubbed into English, they are presented here in Italian with English subtitles." I was actually surprised by how little must have been taken out, especially compared to the amount removed in Compañeros. It seems most of the footage is the gore scenes and a scene near the ending which heightens the impact of the scene.
    The film is presented with English 2.0 mono which sounded very good and brought across dialogue, music and sound effects clearly. Also included is the Italian mono 2.0 track.
     The disc contains the seventeen minute featurette Fulci Of The Apocalypse  which contained interviews with the stars Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian. Full of interesting infomation about the production, the featurette takes on the form of mourning for the late Fulci which both Milian and Testi talk about both in a postive and a negative way. Also included is a theatrical trailer and some talent bios.
    A western that took me by surprise and ended up being much better then I thought it would be. Thankfully (for me) not as gory as his later films, I would still approach this film with a strong stomach. I do recomend it to spaghetti fans new and old and it seems to be a hit with the Fulci fans, hopefully this'll get them to check out some more spaghetti.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 12:53:24 PM »

Arizona Colts review:-

FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE- 1975-Lucio Fulci’s second western is, like DJANGO KILL, an artsy styled oater with supposed hidden meanings beneath its western trappings. The alleged extreme violence is not as savage as the films reputation would lead you to believe. Along with MASSACRE TIME, it’s easy to see where Fulci’s career was heading in the coming years although his 1973 film DON’T TORTURE THE DUCKLING confirmed the horrors that lay ahead. Tomas Milian portrays the nasty villain and Fabio Testi is one of the good guys along with Michael J. Pollard more or less playing himself.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »

Very good, and very strange. It was good to see a western whose plot is totally different from the typical SWs. Iliked this story and the charakters.

This is like something "Corbucci marries Peckinpah, and it's a bloooooody wedding"  Grin
Testi is very good, the girl is beautiful (she would be a perfect Fantine... or Eve, doesn't she?)
Tomas Milian is really a pre-Sparrow charakter, and pure evil. I think Tomas liked it.  Evil

9.5/10

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »

I could not sit through this one.  Maybe I should give it another shot.... maybe....

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »

the girl is beautiful

I thought so as well...always a plus in a movie Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »

Hated by many. I liked it for what it was and not for what people wanted it to be.
The soundtrack is nice to. Another great one from the De Angelis brothers (their masterpiece being GOODBYE MY FRIEND from STREET LAW). Very Simon and Garfunkel.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 05:51:20 AM »

Watched it again last night , and liked it even less than the first time once you know whats comming, this one is not holding up at all.

Noticed a sequence out of order on the DVD I have, we see the wagontrain massacre right after they part company with The 4 but it should fit in after when Chaco is traking them down and one of his men call out that he sees a wagon train.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:11 AM »

I own this but haven't gotten around to watch it yet.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »

Very Simon and Garfunkel.

What do you mean by that?

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »

What do you mean by that?

The music style is kinda similar to Simon and Garfunkel.

I thought this movie was okay.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »

Surely you prefer Keomas music to Django Kill?

The "music" of Django Kill (though probably the nadir among film scores, bar none) is less pervasive than Keoma's. You can even half-grin at such demonstration of absolute ininventiveness. With Keoma you have to exclude audio.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

Hated by many. I liked it for what it was and not for what people wanted it to be.
The soundtrack is nice to. Another great one from the De Angelis brothers (their masterpiece being GOODBYE MY FRIEND from STREET LAW). Very Simon and Garfunkel.
Huh??

The music credits are: Franco Bixio, Fabio Frizzi and Vince Tempera. Don't see the de Angelis brothers credited anywhere (either at IMDB or in the film).

Just finished watching the movie. I found it a bit unusual and also gruesome at times, but I liked it in general.   

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:21 PM »

Huh??

The music credits are: Franco Bixio, Fabio Frizzi and Vince Tempera. Don't see the de Angelis brothers credited anywhere (either at IMDB or in the film).

A mistake on my part.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM