Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:02:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Colossus of Rhodes (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Last Days Of Pompei
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Days Of Pompei  (Read 9874 times)
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2003, 08:35:49 AM »

Has anyone seen this because i'm thinking of getting it on DVD?

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 02:33:28 PM »

I have the French Anamorphic Widescreen DVD which is excellent quality. If you're a Peplum fan, then you should find this movie quite enjoyable, but it's not really recogniseable as a Sergio Leone movie. In fact Sergio was quoted as saying that he followed the original shooting plan that Paolo Moffa had worked out and felt honour-bound to finish the movie the way that Moffa would have done.
However it's great to see it in light of the fact that it's almost a sketch for what he was able to do with COLOSSUS OF RHODES - similar plot, similar set-pieces: mysterious temple, massive arena sequences, monumental earthquake.  Just think how much more fun POMPEII would have been with Rory Calhoun in the lead, and thank your lucky stars that Leone got Calhoun for COLOSSUS and not the producer-preferred Reeves.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 10:36:45 AM »

Are the special features subtitled in english? I'm thinking of getting the french DVD. To bad there aren't any english subtitles on the french DVD of "The Colossus of Rhodes". Haven't seen any of these films yet, but I've been looking for them for a long time. Let's hope for either a region 1 release, or a region 2 release in the UK (or Scandinavia).

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 05:24:46 PM »

No, the special features are not dubbed in English, nor are there English subtitles. But the movie itself has an English language track, so what are you waiting for?

Regarding COLOSSUS, you should get the Italian version. It contains many more missing bits than the supposed "Italian Version" on the French DVD. Italian language only, though.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 06:45:29 AM »

"The Last Days Of Pompeii" has been released on r1 DVD, and can be bought from amazon (I haven't found it anywhere else). Has anyone seen/bought this DVD? How is the quality (picture/sound)?

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »

Does anyone know how the 2008 German release compares with the 2007 French re-release?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »

I just received this in the mail today. It's the 2003 Alan Young Pictures DVD. I don't know if it's a reissue or not. It's a two disc set containing the 1959 film with Steve Reeves in 2:35 anamorphic wide in both Italian and English versions. It also contains the 1913 version of the film(!) from Mario Caserini. Also got Italian and Spanish DVD's for Chelo Alonso's first peplum movie, SIGN OF THE GLADIATOR (1959), her next film with Lex Barker in THE PIRATE & THE SLAVE GIRL (1960) and the Gordon Mitchell vehicle SINBAD & THE 7 SARACENS (1964).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM