Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 11:45:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Valdez is Coming (1971)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valdez is Coming (1971)  (Read 13541 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 03:40:43 AM »

Lawman was a cool movie. I haven't seen it in a year so I don't remember too much. I'll rent it next time I go to Hollywood Video.
Cheers Peacemaker(and Tim) thats a "good" i can add onto the "almost spaghetti" guide as i've seen this movie referenced in a couple of western(mainly for the violence it contains) books but heard no opinions about it here until now.
I've got Valdez Is Coming sitting in my "to watch" pile of dvds.I can't remember offhand how it got to be included in the guide as "good" and judging by the comments here this rating may have to be revised . Roll Eyes

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 10:36:24 PM »

Watched this on DVD today, Dir. Edwin Sherin, written by Elmore Leonard, starring Burt Lancaster. This is another Manhunt/Chase Western sub genre that's very good shot in Almeria and further north.

Peacful Mexican town constable Bob Valdez (Lancaster) moonlights riding shotgun on a stage. They come upon a standoff lead by villian Frank Tanner (Jon Cypher).

A blackman is holed up in a cabin accused of killing a woman's husband. Valdez goes down to negotiate a surrender but a treacherous manhunter takes a popshot at the blackman and he in turn shoots at Valdez thinking its a trick. Valdez kills him and he finds out that he is innocent.

When Valdez tries to collect some money for the blackman's squaw ( just a hundred dollars) from Tanner all hell breaks loose. Tied to a cross by Tanners men Valdez crawls back to his home, pulls out his personal arsenal and Apache hunting soldier uniform and..... Valdez is Comming!

Is a good Western with a few great action sequences, and some memorable lines. Score is nothing great,  but it has a great story for its sub genre. Good as part of an overall Western collection has the SW influence. Worth watching.

I've come to the realization that I like quite a few of Elmore Leonard's Westerns, "3:10 to Yuma", "Hombre", "Joe Kidd", and and looking forward to seeing "The Tall T".

Lenoard is still active it would be nice to get another Western screenplay from him.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:52:31 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 04:47:25 AM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2671.0

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3905.0

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 05:09:15 AM »

I thought I mentioned it before but did not do a review  Cool.

When I watched it before it was on TV so it may have been broken up by commercials and or edited,  I don't remember.

Spoilers

AS far as your question in the DVD release it ends at the final Mexican standoff where Tanner's men refuse to do his fighting anymore and the various choies that Tanner could have made are reinterated he could have had Valdez killed, He could gone to Nogales, he could have paid the $100.

So its left there the frame freezes and there is no voice over.  The R1 ending leaves it ambiguous.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 05:20:08 AM »

Here is a trailer I found for the film:

http://www.mgm.com/video_window.do?formatid=1066&videoid=473

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 02:34:33 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067921/

Bob Valdez (Burt Lancaster) is a mexican sharpshooter who kills a wrongfully accused outlaw during an ambush set up by a wealthy gun runner by the name of Frank Tanner.
Valdez takes pity on the outlaw's widowed indian wife and wants to raise enough money for her to catch a train back to her reservation. Valdez asks Tanner for 100 dollars only to be beaten and crucified to a cross. Valdez licks his wounds and then returns back to Tanner's ranch and kidnaps his soon to be wife. Valdez holds her hostage in return for 100 dollars.

After the success of the spaghetti western there was a slight boom in the American movie market to send their filmmakers in Hollywood to film in Almeria and create an American western with an italian feel to it. VIC is one of them.

I never liked Lancaster but he is likable in the role of the kind Valdez.
There are some great touches such as the crucifix scene and the opening ambush. A good eye will catch that Tanner's ranch is the same set where they filmed a good portion of the Tony Anthony spag"Blindman".

This would have been a  good western had it not been for the very bizarre ending. In the middle, of what was to be, the final showdown the movie abruptly ends and the credits role. The villain is not killed and the resolution is unresolved leaving the viewer totally unsatisfied.

Don't know if this was due to financial reasons or if the director was trying to be "daring" or "original". Either way it doesn't work.

A lot of these American productions that tried to ape italians at their own game seem to have a fetish for blood and gore, VIC is no exception. I think the Americans thought that was what appealed to the spaghetti hungry public but I think they totally missed the point of Italian westerns.

Give it a rent. It's worth watching at least once.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:39:01 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »

nice review but it should be added to the existing thread calling a moderator! lol

Did you ever catch Lancaster in Lawman?

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »

I liked your review.   I may of seen this or parts of it on television at some time.   Maybe TCM will air it sometime soon.  I'll have to catch it.  I was surprised that you don't like Lancaster overall.  I know with some of my preferences in actors, films, directors there can be a subjective element that sometimes can't be explained.  I would want to see this film for Burt Lancaster.  For me....I always thought he was interesting.  Although he came from the studio era, he was very much a maverick.  His characters a lot of times were very masculine, physical types....but I always thought he portrayed them with depth.....they also had a fierce intelligence, and understanding.  I suppose in some ways that was how he really was.  I think he had a great concern for his craft and artistry.  He took a lot of chances that a lot of actors of his generation didn't.  He wasn't concerned with his personal image of always being the good guy.  He really appreciated international cinema and consciously made choices to work with Visconti, Bertolucci and Malle.  He was a studio generation actor that got involved with production and working with younger directors to make better pictures.  He also was quite the activist and spoke up for Civil Rights and against the Vietnam War.  I think he had a concern for making films that had a social consciousness.  I haven't seen all of his films.  I've seen  alot of the popular ones.  I really like Sweet Smell Of Success and two from his late period.... Atlantic City and Local Hero.  

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 10:30:40 AM »

Sorry Joe, I checked the search engine and it said there wasn't another thread with the same name. Of course I only checked the first page though.

Also I have yet to see Lawman. I'll rent it soon.

Noodles: I just don't like Lancasters face. Seems to overconfident with himself and he has that very toothy grin which annoys me to no end. However I liked him as Valdez. Guess it has to do with him being virtually unrecognisable.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 04:57:38 AM »

I just don't like Lancasters face. Seems to overconfident with himself and he has that very toothy grin which annoys me to no end. However I liked him as Valdez. Guess it has to do with him being virtually unrecognisable.
Giuliano Gemma completely modelled himself on Lancaster apparently and Mrs Banjo finds Gemma's toothy grin a bit much sometimes.

If i'm in the mood later today i'll watch Valdez Is Coming. Afro

Man with no dame
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 06:33:59 AM »

A lot of people don't like Lancaster, don't know why. Just saw him in Elmer Gantry and he was great. He did all or most of his own stunts, even when he got old. Funny story: While filming Little Treasure in mid 80's, he got in an off-screen fistfight with perrenial whacko Margot Kidder. Don't know who won. Check out Atlantic City sometime. Valdez was one of the better US SW knock-offs, Lawman too.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 05:49:57 AM »

nice review but it should be added to the existing thread calling a moderator! lol
There were actually three threads altogether and i merged them all together as one yesterday. Afro

To add to Peacemaker's post kickstarting this thread, i watched this last night and (from what i saw in the credits) we can also add the fact that it was filmed in Almeria to its sw credentials.

But like Cigar Joe and Firecracker,i feel this was a very good western only really let down by the ending.It seemed unsatisfactory that Valdez should have allowed himself to be caught so easily after being ahead of the game for so long.It also seemed unbelievable that the previously sadistic and ruthless henchmen of Tanner should suddenly treat Valdez as some sort of noble warrior and let him get away scot- free regardless of the fact that he'd killed 11 of their comrades.

One other minor gripe is that while Lancaster undoubtably turned in a solid performance he was still badly let down by his gringo appearance and wasn't he wearing eyeliner?  Grin

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »

Valdez Is Coming (1971) 7/10

"Tell him....Valdez is coming."

Some of you are very critical of this western around here but I gotta admit I enjoyed it very much so. The big problem with the film is the ending. The film could have been benefited even more with an exciting conclusion. You're watching, the tention is building, and out of nowhere, it comes to a hault. I didn't hate the ending, but it could have been a lot better. Burt Lancaster was great as usual and I loved his accent, which was very believable. There were also many spaghetti western undertones that I loved.

In short, a solid western that I'll like to revisit again down the road. A keeper in my opinion.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:36:22 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »

Valdez is Comming is great, except for the fizzle out ending.
If you like Lancaster with SW unfertones see Lawman.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 07:04:26 PM »

Valdez is Comming is great, except for the fizzle out ending.
If you like Lancaster with SW unfertones see Lawman.

Yeah, I watched Lamman a month ago and left a review here some pages back. Check it out cigar! I actually loved Lawman. I had a blast watching that. I enjoy watching Burt act. I don't think he's had a bad performance.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM