Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:12:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Valdez is Coming (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valdez is Coming (1971)  (Read 13262 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2005, 08:08:21 AM »

I was rewatching today, after 3 decades,  that good movie which is "Valdez is coming" and thinking that the exteriors looked very much like Almeria, Well, reading  the end credits I discovered that the movie was shot entirely in Spain, though all the leads and most of the crew are american. So I wondered whether there are other AW shot in Europe.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 09:25:20 AM »

I'd like to help. I rented the movie but forgot to watch it. Next time I go to Hollywood video I'll rent it and see if I can get any info. You could just go to www.imdb.com and look up information on " Valdez Is Coming " too.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »

I believe Villa Rides was filmed in spain. Does El Condor qualify as US? and also Red Sun which had a British director. Then theres the British westerns The Hunting Party, Shalako, Hannie Caulder and The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 02:33:59 AM »

Le Bon,i'm running an Almost Spaghetti Film Guide under the Other Films title where we have been discussing whether certain USA/Non-Italian westerns made in Spain after 1964(or just SW influenced) are good,bad(but entertaining) or just plain ugly!
I'm very interested therefore to hear your views please, on Hunting Party and Hannie Caulder as these haven't yet been included?
El Condor is a US movie(and already on the guide!) but i don't think Sheriff of Fractured Jaw would qualify as its pre-Fistful of Dollars.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 10:51:40 PM »

BTW, for those who have seen the Lancaster movie, I often wondered if the finale as it is rendered in the italian version is also featured in the english one,with Valdez saying that he shot and killed his adversary while closing titles are rolling. I have found this finale to be quite awkward, so I wonder whether it was an idea of the italian distributor.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 01:51:28 AM »

I think Cigar Joe would know this as he reviewed it quite recently and it does sound like a good movie!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 05:59:25 AM »

This isn't a western, but Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade had a large section shot in Almeria.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 06:34:40 AM »

And i only thought SW loving tourists visited Almeria nowadays.I wonder if its still relatively cheap to film there?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »

I saw Valdez is Coming last night and it was really bad. It had the potential to be a great western, the ingredients were all there: great story, cool anti-hero character, spaghetti-style brutality, and a really cool title. But because of low budget, a forgettable score, and a  stupid ending, the film was a flop.

Burt Lancaster was great though ( is he ever bad? ) and his Mexican accent was more than believable. But overall, the movie was just bad.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »

I liked the barbed wirered to the cross bit  Cool, but yes it could have been much better.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 07:21:22 AM »

I, for the most part...enjoyed "Valdez Is Coming"...but the ending..yeah..curiously done.
Maybe they just ran out of film and declared it a wrap. Roll Eyes

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Tim
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »

I missed this one on TCM a couple weeks ago, but did catch Lawman with Lancaster.  Like Peacemaker said, Lancaster is great (when isn't he?), the supporting cast is just as good.  But just like the complaints from Valdez is Coming, I had a problem with the ending.  Maybe it's cause I've watched enough spaghettis where the good guy doesn't always win, but I pictured a very different ending for Lawman.

It's an emotional ending because of everything that happens, but it could have been a Great Silence-esque ending.  Worth checking out though for the cast alone.  Might have to see Valdez is Coming just to check it off my list.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »

Lawman was a cool movie. I haven't seen it in a year so I don't remember too much. I'll rent it next time I go to Hollywood Video.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »

I have had it here for about a month but have yet to view it. I'm curious to see what the ending is all about. perhaps I should watch it tonight...

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
buff64
Chicken Thief

you brought two too many

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:26 PM »

I don't remember it very well 'cause I was a kid when it
was released .All I can recall is that I liked that western back then,but I was too litle and I'd enjoy any western.
Now I want to see it again as a grown man.Valdez is coming another long forgotten western,at least by me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM