Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 03:28:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Godfather Part III: Such A Shame
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Godfather Part III: Such A Shame  (Read 10469 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:40:43 AM »

I am a huge fan of The Godfather Trilogy and Francis Ford Coppola. I have watched all three films many, many times. The problem I have always had, as many cinephiles also have, is that Part III is such a let down compared to its two predecessors. There are moments of greatness in the film, such as the last 40 minutes, in my opinion one of the best endings of 90's cinema, as well as other little scenes and referances to the previous films. But there are many elements that bring it down also. Sofia Coppola's acting is really, really bad and she ruins every scene she's in for me. I find myself shouting at the screen for Mary to leave and I really hate those bits of the film. Some of the dialogue is very iffy at times, (my personal pet hate is Keatons line "I dread You" (shudders). In the featurettes on the excellent DVD package, the DP, Gordon Willis describes the films choice of shots and lighting and someone says that the three look the same. Part III does not. It must be very hard to do a late 70's early 80's period film but I felt like I was watching a 90's movie all along.
      I was wondering what other people feel about this missed opportunity?

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 07:24:49 AM »

First time I saw the movie didn't like it a bit. I rewatched it again, undubbed and I appreciated it more. You may wonder I like Sofia Coppola (though not pretty, I find her physically attractive, probably due to her age and because of her marked mediterranean looks; and I saw worse actresses);  but what doesn't rhyme is Garcia falling so deeply  for her: can anybody believe that? Still what really stinks is the renewal of interest between Pacino and Keaton. Sorry but I can't fall for it. Also, I don't like the cardinal Vallone (rather awkward actor, here very stiff) episode as the repentance of Pacino comes out of the blue too. And then you have to cope with  Duvall's absence. Hamilton is good, but nobody can double for the main characters. Wasn't Duvall granted the same money as Pacino? then Coppola and Puzo should have said no to the whole project: all the millions of people who watched the first 2 movies, if asked, would say that Duvall amd Pacino are equally essential to the saga. Only at Paramount didn't know that.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:35:55 AM »

I agree, Duvall missing does hurt the movie. The fact that Duvall didn't want to do it at all is a shame. I believe the choice before Sofia was Winona Ryder but she was unavailable so Francis had to go with his daughter.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 10:01:13 AM »

Like so many "illogy" movies, (ALIEN 3, I'm looking at you) I prefere to think that GODFATHER III never happened. I tried watching it once, and gave up after about 20 very long and weary minutes. It's just garbage.

I'm stunned by the crash and burn of Coppola's career. How could it be possible for the man who made THE CONVERSATION, the first two GODFATHER films and APOCALYPSE NOW be the same person who made this rubbish, that abysmal BRAM STOKER'S FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA'S GARY OLDMAN'S DRACULA and JACK? He should stick to the wine making these days, I think, which he is still good at.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 08:06:07 AM »

The final shot in this mediocre movie.......not because of this particular film...but strictly because of Godfather 1 & 2. ...makes this movie at least watchable.
As I watched that scene...both of the previous films resonated & replayed in my mind's eye.

A courtyard in Don Tommasino's Villa.

<Michael is sitting in a chair. Many years have passed and he is now a very old man. He puts on his sunglasses and sits for a few moments before slumping down dead in his chair, an orange falls from his hand. He then topples off his chair and lies on the ground as a dog investigates.>

CUT TO: BLACK.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:11:05 AM »

Coppola said that it was Apocalypse which sucked all creativity out of him. I believe him.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:15:38 AM by titoli » Logged

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:19:50 AM »

I love Apocalypse, I really do but the thing that hurts Part III the most (apart from Sofia grrrrrrr) is that there are brief flashes of brilliance, drowned out in mediocrisy.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 08:30:55 AM »

I quite like both Godfather 1 and 2 but was put off part 3 by the reviews of the time.I've never even bothered with TV showings so i guess i'm not missing anything!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 08:36:55 AM »

I believe the choice before Sofia was Winona Ryder but she was unavailable so Francis had to go with his daughter.

With another million actresses out there wanting to do it? And what masterpiece this Winona had to play in that she couldn't star in what might have turned out in another piece of cinematographic mythology? I am afraid that the only reason Coppola may have wanted to do it at all is to let have a part for his daughter.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 08:43:47 AM »

Coppola has said that it was Ryder he wanted, now he says its was always meant for his daughter.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 09:29:27 AM »

Didn't know it, but it was easy to imagine it.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:45:54 PM »

I also have a theory that Keaton gets steadily worse in each film. She's great in Part 1, OK, yet a little whiney in 2 and just downright annoying in Part 3. Though with Talia Shire, shes gets better with each movie until part 3 where at times she stumbles.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 08:29:16 PM »

the problem is that the characters do not help the performers. Try to judge Pacino's acting during his renewal of interest for his ex-wife: is it much better than Keaton's? And can you take seriously Talia dabbing in pastries? The faults of the movie lie basically with the screenplay: Puzo and Coppola didn't come up with anything out of clichès. So, in my opinion, the real Godfather 3 is Goodfellas: best movie of the '90's.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 06:31:41 AM »

Its true the characters do not help the actors, though I still think that Pacino must have been biting his lip when ever he appeared on screen with Sofia.

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 06:21:24 PM »

I actually thought The Godfather III was a very good movie (except for Sofia Coppola's performance, which as someone said early, was really really bad).  However, it's unfortunately part of a trilogy, and the two movies that preceded it are two of the greatest movies ever.  In my opinion, the 70s was the best era of American movies, and when I think of great films from the 70s, the first two that always comes to mind are the first two Godfather movies.  Compared to the first two films, The Godfather III is nothing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM