Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2019, 07:56:58 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Godfather Part III: Such A Shame
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Godfather Part III: Such A Shame  ( 13510 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #15 : December 17, 2005, 03:41:19 PM »

I reopen this thread to point at the most relevant element I was never sold on in the 2 first parts: James Caan. I like this performer, though there are not many movies featuring him that I like, apart from the Godfather (one is El Dorado: but I think he doesn't belong in western at all).
I just can't figure him out as a Sicilian. I don't know about his ancestry, but his appearance speaks immediately Irish from top to foot. Which doesn't mean much, as Sicily was a land where all kind of races mixed, Still, in movies, appearance is of immediate value and that of Caan simply doesn't fit.  I can't figure him as Al Pacino's, Talia Shire's and John Cazale's brother or Don Vito's son (and the first one at that!: one could easily imagine that young Don Vito might have killed his wife after having seen his son's rooftop). I read the novel before the movie was released and had imagined Sonny as completely different. Also I had imagined a completely different Don Vito and Tom Hagen. But Brando and Duvall (expecially this last) completely convinced me. Caan, for all his efforts and talent, couldn't. I think De Niro (who did try for the part, as seen in the extra of the dvd release) would have been a better choice, but still not the best one, because he wouldn't have fit as elder brother to both Cazale and Pacino.  Am I alone in this line of thinking? And whom would you have billed for the part? 

« : December 17, 2005, 03:55:02 PM titoli »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #16 : December 17, 2005, 04:20:37 PM »

Well, I'd agree with JB here.  GFIII is an overall entertaining movie with a lot of great scenes/moments, but it's also a very flawed movie - but still, it's rather unfair to say it's terrible because it doesn't live up to its predecessors.  My main problems are with the characterization.  The performances are a mixed bag (Pacino, Shire, Keaton, Bright, Valone, Garcia=good; Sofia, Hamilton,  Berger=bad; Wallach=ugly).  The best character in the movie is Joe Mantegna as the John Gotti-esque Joey Zasa, but he's killed off about an hour into the film, which hurts it in a major way, at least IMO.  Eli's performance isn't bad per se, it's just he's given a horrible character to work with and he seems to be going through the motions (not to mention having what must be one of the lamest death scenes in movie history).  The climactic montage was a bit overbloated (the scene with the assassin taking about twenty minutes to maticulously killed all of the guards, then lines up a perfect shot on Michael but neglects to take it for no discernable reason), but the killing of Mary saved it for me (the bit with a muted Pacino screaming got me).

So, I think it's a fairly entertaining film.  It's flawed, but no more so than 90% of other Hollywood films.  If it didn't have the word "Godfather" in the title, no one would even remember it.  I'd give it a 7/10.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Man With A Hand Brace
Road Apple

Known as the Rat

« #17 : December 18, 2005, 04:46:07 PM »

I agree about the "illogy" thing.

Many great trilogies were let down by a poor third act.

While I cannot think of any notable examples off the top of my head, I suppose "Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines" was not very well accepted by fans of the first two. Ditto "Back to the Future Part III".

If I can think of a better example I will. My mind's just blank today.

Police Squad ... In Colour!
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #18 : December 18, 2005, 06:49:35 PM »

A courtyard in Don Tommasino's Villa.

<Michael is sitting in a chair. Many years have passed and he is now a very old man. He puts on his sunglasses and sits for a few moments before slumping down dead in his chair, an orange falls from his hand. He then topples off his chair and lies on the ground as a dog investigates.>

CUT TO: BLACK.

Man this scene has something really amazing. We see from a very large distance that he just dies and that's it, . There is no drama, no dialogue, it is like a punctuation, it has something musical.
 I have never seen such a conclusion, plus a conclusion of a trilogy. He just falls. The scene isn't really conected to any parts of the movie, it remembers us that before being a drama it was the story of a man.
Terrific.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #19 : December 18, 2005, 08:26:49 PM »

Man this scene has something really amazing. We see from a very large distance that he just dies and that's it, . There is no drama, no dialogue, it is like a punctuation, it has something musical.
 I have never seen such a conclusion, plus a conclusion of a trilogy. He just falls. The scene isn't really conected to any parts of the movie, it remembers us that before being a drama it was the story of a man.
Terrific.

I agree, that is one scene in particular which works very well - the perfect end to the trilogy, IMO.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #20 : December 20, 2005, 02:32:15 PM »

Yes, it is definatly an excellent end to the trilogy. Shame Puzo's script for Part 4 has never been made, would be interesting to see Sonny growing up in 1920's/1930's NY and seeing Don Vito's power grow ever larger.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Jon0

« #21 : November 16, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »

Watching it now.....yawn.  What are your guys thoughts on it...and Sophia Coppolla's amazing amazing acting performance

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #22 : November 16, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »

Most people dislike Godfather III. Even though the great actors like DuVall and Brando weren't in it, it was a fantastic film. My favorite scene is of course the climax on the Opera House steps, but I also really like it when Pacino is confessing his sins to the priest. Just the look on that man's face when he heard Micheal Corleone's terrible sins is great acting.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #23 : November 16, 2006, 02:29:54 PM »

What made Godfather III not very good was the fact that Coppola didn't have enough time to work. If he had enough time there would've been another actress in the role of Mary and better acting all around I think.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #24 : November 16, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

and Sophia Coppolla's amazing amazing acting performance

;D

Never before have i seen an actress single-handedly crush all the potential the movie had. Don't get me wrong, I like this movie. If Sofia wasn't in it... it could've been great. (well, at least a lot better)

« : November 16, 2006, 03:51:30 PM Silenzio »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #25 : November 16, 2006, 03:48:32 PM »

A sooze fest for the most part.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #26 : November 16, 2006, 04:28:16 PM »

Along with ALIEN 3, I like to pretend that it was never  made.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #27 : November 16, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »

My feelings exactly.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #28 : November 16, 2006, 06:18:04 PM »

It's what Japanese call "Dasoku (snake legs)" which means something unnecessary.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Tuco the ugly

« #29 : November 16, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »

true

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines