Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:21:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How the West Was Won (1962)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the West Was Won (1962)  (Read 17146 times)
Man with no dame
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »

Cinerama could get you sick(nauseous) if you got in the right seats. They used to have 50 seat booths at State fairs that would play film shot in helicopters and planes. The screens were almost circular, so there was no looking away. Incredible feeling, almost like flying. Way better than 3D.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 11:19:02 PM »

I didn't think much of this movie to be honest, despite the talent put into the film. I was disapointed, to me it was one of those trends Hollywood had in the 60's where you make an ambitious epic and cram as many movie stars as you can, like How the West was One, The Longest Day, and The Greatest Story Ever told, all three of them featuring John Wayne.

John Wayne's tiny role as the centurian really amused me. He is the biggest star in the film, has one line, and you can barely see him because he was in the background. The film may be boring, but any film about a religious figure is boring, but stil, it had a lovely score by Alfred Newman.

Back to the topic, I don't know what it was, perhaps the quality of the DVD I rented was horrible. There was these two lines dividing the screen into three's with the center screen being slightly off color than the other two.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 06:06:57 AM »

Back to the topic, I don't know what it was, perhaps the quality of the DVD I rented was horrible. There was these two lines dividing the screen into three's with the center screen being slightly off color than the other two.

That is the Cinerama

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »

Eli was the bandit Charlie Gant at the end, and Sergio said he chose Eli for GBU because of the scene where he shoots his "fingers" at George Peppard's kids in mock gunfight, and laughs, much more than for his Magnificent Seven performance.

Cool.

By the way, has anyone seen the new Blue Ray release of this? It looks gorgeous in the DVD Beaver review! I am seriously tempted to buy a Blue Ray player just for this.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »

My favorite part is also Leone's, it's when Eli Wallach stares at the sheriff's kids and with his hands he pretends to shoot down the kids. Very Leonesque scene.

Not to be pedantic, but perhaps a better term would be "Wallach-esque."

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »

I caught the film on TCM this morning and I enjoyed it. It could have used a better connection between episodes - they do try with George Peppard's character in the second half - but most of the individual episodes were good enough that I didn't mind. The only ones I weren't crazy about were the very underdeveloped Civil War scene, with its odd John Wayne-Harry Morgan bit and battle scenes lifted from Raintree County, and the draggy Union Pacific scenes. The James Stewart-Carrol Baker stuff at the beginning (and the river pirates) and the train shootout at the end were the best bits. The cast was hit-or-miss: most were good with what they had but most didn't have a lot. The best were Stewart, Peck, Baker and Wallach. I'd give it an 8/10 if I were feeling generous.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:16:38 PM by Groggy » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 07:24:22 AM »

I saw glimpses of it a couple of times on TV: didn't seem bad but it did seem too episodic. I guess I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »

Its entertaining, though a bit far-fetched in places

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »

The train scene at the end is the only thing I'd want to revisit. Very under appreciated scene in my mind.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 04:30:06 AM »

Apparently Sir Christopher Frayling is doing a 10 page anniversary special of this in Cinema Retro.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 04:48:57 AM »

Yes, I supplied some stuff from my archive.

Not a great film, more gimmick than serious film making, but 70mm & Cinerama has a strong following. It's nice to see those films the way they were presented in the 60s, sometimes they gain a lot. Watched IN HARMS WAY last year in 70mm 6 channel etc., it was much better than on DVD. On the other hand I saw 55 DAYS IN PEKING last month in 70mm - still an awful movie Smiley

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 05:42:28 AM »

I never heard of this magazine before. Is it worth subscribing to?

I see there is a Dollars Films special edition, but they want you to mail a check or something, seems kinda shady. On the other hand, any magazine that can get Frayling is probably legit. Does anyone here subscribe to this and can tell me it's alright?

btw mike: was any of your stuff used in Fraylin's Once Upon a Time in Italy book, or the Autry museum exhibit?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:52:32 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:13 AM »

I see there is a Dollars Films special edition, but they want you to mail a check or something, seems kinda shady. On the other hand, any magazine that can get Frayling is probably legit. Does anyone here subscribe to this and can tell me it's alright?

btw mike: was any of your stuff used in Fraylin's Once Upon a Time in Italy book, or the Autry museum exhibit?

There was a write up about it on here someplace  Undecided

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 06:53:04 AM »

Yes, I supplied some stuff from my archive.

Not a great film, more gimmick than serious film making, but 70mm & Cinerama has a strong following. It's nice to see those films the way they were presented in the 60s, sometimes they gain a lot. Watched IN HARMS WAY last year in 70mm 6 channel etc., it was much better than on DVD. On the other hand I saw 55 DAYS IN PEKING last month in 70mm - still an awful movie Smiley

It works in spurts. By its nature with the trio of directors it's episodic, and the Cinerama did bug me at times with the lack of close-ups etc., but there are plenty of great bits to make it worthwhile.

I have fond childhood memories of 55 Days at Peking. Rewatched it a few years ago and found it a mess despite some excellent battle scenes. I'd love to see a better Boxer Rebellion film.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »

How the West was Won used three different directors, one for each segment.  And it was like "let's get a whole bunch of actors who've played in westerns for this.  I did see this in Cinerama, downtown Pittsburgh, about 1962.  You had to buy advance tickets.  family lost the little hardbound book they sold at the theater.

I don't subscribe, but I did purchase the "Dollars" film special edition, felt it was worth it.

I did visit the Autry exhibit, once in a lifetime opportunity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM