Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:29:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How the West Was Won (1962)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the West Was Won (1962)  (Read 17169 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »

I never heard of this magazine before. Is it worth subscribing to?

I see there is a Dollars Films special edition, but they want you to mail a check or something, seems kinda shady. On the other hand, any magazine that can get Frayling is probably legit. Does anyone here subscribe to this and can tell me it's alright?

CR is a great mag (board member Mike Siegel is a contributor). They also have a website you should check out. The reason you've never heard of the mag probably is that it's unavailable in stores (although it was showing up in some Borders for awhile)--it's basically subscription only (i.e. you buy a 3-issue block of mags in advance). They publish this way so they don't have to clutter the mag with advertising. The special issues dedicated to a single film are not in the usual subscription stream, you buy them separately. I have the Dollars issue (which is great) and have just ordered to one on Kelly's Heroes.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »

CR is a great mag (board member Mike Siegel is a contributor). 

Reason enough to check it out. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »

How the West was Won used three different directors, one for each segment. 
Well, that's not quite right. There were 3 directors, but 5 segments. According to the info in the booklet that comes with the Blu-ray I have, Hathaway did the first 2 parts (The Rivers, The Plains), then Ford did The Civil War,  George Marshall did The Railroad (which includes that great buffalo stampede), and then Hathaway returned to do the best segment, The Outlaws. I like the first segment because it has Jimmy Stewart up against Walter Brennan in his best Prince of Darkness mode, I hate the second part because it's mostly Debbie Reynolds, the Ford piece is pretty inconsequential, and (except for the aforementioned stampede) the George Marshall part doesn't amount to much either, but Eli Wallach as the lead bandit in The Outlaws sets the right tone and the shootout aboard the moving train is quite exciting. Add to this some truly spectacular landscape photography and the film has more good points than bad.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »

That sounds about right. The Stewart episode is the strongest in my mind, especially the fight in the cabin.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 01:00:31 PM »

di you order the Dollars issue by check or paypal? 

btw i read that a stuntman lost his arm during the train robbery sequence

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »

And Richard Thorpe probably directed some of the bridging scenes between the segments.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »

di you order the Dollars issue by check or paypal? 
paypal

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »

so i just send them a paypal payment and write in the notes that it's for the DOLLARS issue?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

The easiest thing is to follow the issue-specific link in the ad to the seller on EBay, plug in your info, then select Paypal when paying.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »

The easiest thing is to follow the issue-specific link in the ad to the seller on EBay, plug in your info, then select Paypal when paying.

great, just ordered it. Thanks!  Afro

Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:50 AM »

Yes, I supplied some stuff from my archive.

Not a great film, more gimmick than serious film making, but 70mm & Cinerama has a strong following. It's nice to see those films the way they were presented in the 60s, sometimes they gain a lot. Watched IN HARMS WAY last year in 70mm 6 channel etc., it was much better than on DVD. On the other hand I saw 55 DAYS IN PEKING last month in 70mm - still an awful movie Smiley

I saw the restoration of How the West Was Won at the Cinerama Theater in Hollywood in September 2006. It was quite an experience. The audience thoroughly enjoyed it each time, and the theater filled up during the middle of the day. I was attending the World 3-D Expo at the Egyptian, but in the afternoons I'd walk around the corner to spend some time with How the West Was Won. I'm telling you, Cinerama still works on the big screen. I began to appreciate the film more and to understand the intent behind it. A kind of folklore history of the American west that is both instructive and entertaining. A much better film than I realized, and a sincere western. Gregory Peck and Robert Preston did their best to carry the weaker segments, but the film is a solid western all the way through. The lab that restored the film gave some of us a tour and showed us the screening room they had to build in order to restore it. A kind of mini-Cinerama-screening room tucked away in the corner of an empty building. The neighborhood is still full of surprises. You never know what's going to turn up inside those old nondescript Hollywood buildings.

Richard

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:07:05 AM by Richard--W » Logged

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »

FYI:

TCM will be showing How the West Was Won on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM EST  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:03:14 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »

Smile-boxed? Evil

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »

TCM showed How the West was Won a few days ago; I dvr'd it and just watched it. (My second viewing of the movie). This movie gets an 8/10

Since I had it on dvr, I was able to skip two small sections I knew I wasn't interested in seeing again: the bit with the pirates, and the scene where the Prescott raft is taken by the rapids. Also, I was able to skip the Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte, and Exit music (yes, they have all 4, and they are pretty long!)

I wouldn't say that any sections are great, but they're solid enough, the cast is amazing, and it's mostly an enjoyable experience.

The scene where John Wayne and Henry Harry Morgan are sitting together and talking ("Generals Sherman and Grant) is so obviously a studio set. And in the scene of the gunfight on the train, it's an amazing scene, but it is annoying how there is significant use of rear projection

TCM showed the movie in "smilebox" format, (see example on bottom of this page http://www.cineramaadventure.com/smilebox.htm ) in an attempt to re-create the Cinerama Experience. I didn't like that decision, they should have just gone with a regular flat format.

I should point out that the first time I saw the movie, I remember watching it on my laptop (I don't recall for sure whether I was watching the dvd, or if I had downloaded the movie from iTunes), but it was really bad how you could see the 3 separate sections, and in the action sequences like the buffalo stampede, it looked like they were running in circles, etc.

However, on this TCM viewing, none of those problems existed. There were (virtually) never any lines on the screen, no visible "sections" of the screen, and other than on a couple of brief moments, there really was no problem of things looking circular. I don't know if the reaosn these problems were fixed is due to the viewing in Smilebox format, or whether the problems have been fixed and it would have looked fine even if it was shown in regular flat letterbox. All I know is that the picture looked absolutely terrific.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:10:53 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »

I remember seeing the lines at the theatrical release too

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM