Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 11:26:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 241872 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #930 : July 10, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »

No i meant going back to the old days,leaving the league numbers as they are but getting rid of the "league" element in the CL and include only the league champions from each country so that "champions" means champions and not a team which scraped to qualify in 4th place.I'm not sure how many games are played in the current CL but surely its many more than in the old system which also included the Cup Winners Cup,another exciting competion.Not sure they should bring back the UEFA cup though this is less of a joke than the meaningless Europa Cup which can be won by a team eliminated from the CL who can  (even more absurd) then go on to win the Super Cup and World Club Cup.

The more i think about it i like your idea of playing the WC say in August,the month before the season begins so that all players are able to have their holidays and be fresh for the tournament.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #931 : July 10, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »

Germany 3 Uruguay 2

Hope the final will be as good as this!

Titoli 6
Banjo 6
Moviesceleton 1

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #932 : July 10, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

No i meant going back to the old days,leaving the league numbers as they are but getting rid of the "league" element in the CL and include only the league champions from each country so that "champions" means champions and not a team which scraped to qualify in 4th place.I'm not sure how many games are played in the current CL but surely its many more than in the old system which also included the Cup Winners Cup,another exciting competion.Not sure they should bring back the UEFA cup though this is less of a joke than the meaningless Europa Cup which can be won by a team eliminated from the CL who can  (even more absurd) then go on to win the Super Cup and World Club Cup.

The more i think about it i like your idea of playing the WC say in August,the month before the season begins so that all players are able to have their holidays and be fresh for the tournament.

It would be easier to cut on the national leagues matches than CL, which has a deep commercial value and good propaganda for the sport even in the minor countries. Just think of the tourism involved in matches between a great team and , say, a litvinian one. While you can really do without MU against Bristol or Coventry, which is exciting only for the fans of the lesser sides. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #933 : July 11, 2010, 01:21:54 AM »

It would be easier to cut on the national leagues matches than CL, which has a deep commercial value and good propaganda for the sport even in the minor countries. Just think of the tourism involved in matches between a great team and , say, a litvinian one. While you can really do without MU against Bristol or Coventry, which is exciting only for the fans of the lesser sides. 

The English premier league has already been cut to 20 out of 92 league clubs.With the huge financial rewards already being received by the teams in the top filght i think it's highly unlikely that they'll be a further reduction, especially with the growing resentment from the mountain of lower league clubs who'll never have to resources to get into the premiership in it's current form.

That's a good point about Europes minnow countries but they could all be still involved in a knock-out only tournament.Why not make it into an FA Cup type competition where all the fixtures for each round are drawn out of a bag?Now that would be exciting with the possibilty of a litvinian side getting to the final!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #934 : July 11, 2010, 01:24:16 AM »

Holland 3 Spain 1

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #935 : July 11, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »

I didn't follow the games much so far so I can't predict the winner, but this seems like one of those WCs in which Netherlands ends either second or fourth.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #936 : July 11, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »

That's a good point about Europes minnow countries but they could all be still involved in a knock-out only tournament.Why not make it into an FA Cup type competition where all the fixtures for each round are drawn out of a bag?Now that would be exciting with the possibilty of a litvinian side getting to the final!

Do you think the big clubs would risk ending up the season at September after having spent tens on millions for buying new players?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #937 : July 12, 2010, 02:08:16 AM »

Result:Spain 1 Holland 0

A very poor finale and I think with the cynical kicking tactics Holland employed throughout the game Spain are worthy world champions. O0

Titoli 6
Banjo 6
Moviesceleton 1

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #938 : July 12, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »

Do you think the big clubs would risk ending up the season at September after having spent tens on millions for buying new players?

If the ties were played over 2 legs then the big clubs wouldn't have any excuse for being knocked out.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #939 : July 12, 2010, 02:26:22 AM »

If the ties were played over 2 legs then the big clubs wouldn't have any excuse for being knocked out.

But that it's not the spirit of FA Cup and I can't see such a progress on the current formula.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #940 : July 12, 2010, 03:10:32 AM »

I agree.I really do like the idea of a European FA Cup which in could be worked out to include many Premiership(and their equivalents) lesser clubs in the first couple of rounds and then maybe big guns would be involved from about November.

I don't have much sympathy for any multi million big club exiting early and the smaller needier clubs would for once get a slice of the cake.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #941 : July 28, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »

Only in Iceland (at least we hope):

http://tv.repubblica.it/copertina/il-modo-piu-assurdo-di-festeggiare-un-gol/51039?video

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/video/curiosita/2010/07/28-24620/Islanda%2C+dopo+il+%22pesce%22+arriva+l%27esultanza+%22alla+Rambo%22

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #942 : July 28, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »

That's hilarious especially the reeling in the fish celebration! :D

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #943 : August 12, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »

Take it easy, Banjo, you're not a boy anymore:

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/video/curiosita/2010/08/12-24861/Un+fan+del+Queens+Park+Rangers+perde+la+testa+e+comincia+ad+insultare+tutti

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #944 : August 12, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »

Better as a boxer or as a sprinter?

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/video/calcio/calcio_estero/2010/08/11-24846/Giocatore+protesta%2C+l%27arbitro+lo+stende+con+un+pugno

: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines