Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 14, 2020, 09:05:23 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Chinatown (1974)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
: Chinatown (1974)  ( 50534 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #150 : January 03, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

I took a flyer on this because of its reputation.  I don't get the big deal with it. It was a average movie at best to me.  Judging from how much people like it, i expect to get different opinions on it.  The plot did make more sense than films like The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep, but other than that, it was just average.  I didn't even find the cinematography nothing special.  It was cool to see Nicholson in this type of film also.

6 out of 10...
dude, did you even READ the first page of this thread? The great Dave Jenkins (still not dead) demonstrates with screen shots how amazing the cinematography in this film is. WTH, man?

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #151 : January 04, 2018, 03:05:34 AM »

Which, according to your rating system, is pretty damn good  :P

Haha yeah 6/10 is ok but definitely not Chinatown good.

Dave Jenkins (still not dead)

Despite all the time he spends with the infamous Drinkanddestroy.

Happy new year, guys.

« : January 04, 2018, 03:07:17 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #152 : March 29, 2020, 01:21:24 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Goodbye-Chinatown-Years-Hollywood-ebook/dp/B07QSPPLQQ/

In da house!

Man, this is a fun read. It's written like a true crime book: Sam Wasson details the lives of four men--Nicholson, Polanski, Robert Towne, Robert Evans--and then shows how they came together to commit the perfect film. A real page turner--I gotta get back to it!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #153 : March 30, 2020, 07:51:35 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Goodbye-Chinatown-Years-Hollywood-ebook/dp/B07QSPPLQQ/

In da house!

Man, this is a fun read. It's written like a true crime book: Sam Wasson details the lives of four men--Nicholson, Polanski, Robert Towne, Robert Evans--and then shows how they came together to commit the perfect film. A real page turner--I gotta get back to it!

I'm sure you have but just in case: have you read the Peter Biskind book?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #154 : March 30, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »

I'm sure you have but just in case: have you read the Peter Biskind book?
No, I'll look for it.

It's now clear to me what Cortez shot on the film. The first scene shot was the one in the orange grove. Then they did the scene in the restaurant with Faye and Jack and Jack's bandaged nose. Then Cortez got canned, but they didn't reshoot the stuff he'd done. They just incorporated it into the picture and nobody noticed the difference (other than maybe noodles).

Did they really not like what he'd shot? I'm thinking it was all about the schedule: Cortez was notoriously slow; Alonzo worked really, really fast. Later they convinced themselves they'd made the change for aesthetic reasons.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #155 : April 07, 2020, 07:34:22 AM »

No, I'll look for it.

It's now clear to me what Cortez shot on the film. The first scene shot was the one in the orange grove. Then they did the scene in the restaurant with Faye and Jack and Jack's bandaged nose. Then Cortez got canned, but they didn't reshoot the stuff he'd done. They just incorporated it into the picture and nobody noticed the difference (other than maybe noodles).

Did they really not like what he'd shot? I'm thinking it was all about the schedule: Cortez was notoriously slow; Alonzo worked really, really fast. Later they convinced themselves they'd made the change for aesthetic reasons.

I would have NEVER bet on these scenes. Like most people I thought the scenes in Jake's office were shot by Cortez, because they're among the most "regular noir" scenes of the film (in terms of cinematography, but it should be noted that the screenplay itself screams "OLD SCHOOL NOIR" during these scenes). So yeah, the aesthetics doesn't seem to be the reason why they fired Cortez... except if what we got is the result of Polanski pulling one way and Cortez reluctantly following him.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #156 : April 07, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »

It's now clear to me what Cortez shot on the film.

Was the book able to clearly specify that?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #157 : April 11, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »

The book details the shooting of the first two scenes shot. Then Cortez got fired. Nothing is said about going back and reshooting those scenes, especially the one in the orange grooves, which was an arduous shoot at a distant location. I also believe there's an interview somewhere where Cortez claims those scenes.

They shot the film quickly. They were able to do so because they got rid of Cortez. He was infamous for taking his time (just ask Orson Welles).

: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines