Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:44:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  British Horror Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: British Horror Thread  (Read 186306 times)
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2005, 05:03:18 PM »

Some more... WITCHFINDER GENERAL, THEATRE OF BLOOD, THE SKULL, DR TERRORS HOUSE OF HORRORS, THE SHUTTERED ROOM, PEEPING TOM and one not so great CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTAR.
BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW is great too.
Does anyone like any of the Italian Horrors such as MASK OF THE DEMON or BLOOD & BLACK LACE.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2005, 05:17:20 PM »

Mario Bava's LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO/BLACK SUNDAY/MASK OF SATAN/MASK OF THE DEMON/ is a fab film, even if bits of it (even seen uncut) don't make a great deal of sense. It's always got the scumptous Barbara Steele to watch, which is never a bad thing. Some "ahead of it's time" gore meant that pristine uncut version's were hard to see in the UK untill quite recently.
I know. It's pathetic isn't it, the film was made in 1960, f'er God's sake.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 10:10:36 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2005, 03:18:42 AM »

Leone_Admirer,interesting stuff about Land Of The Dead,not so good as the others eh-i'd assumed Romero would have pulled out all the stops to outdo himself!Have you seen Shaun of the Dead,if so any good?
Is Cronenberg the guy that did The Thing?-i can't think offhand what his other movies are but i'm certain i have some on tape,one of the Aliens perhaps?-yes i know Ridley Scott did the original but not sure who did Aliens!
    LeBon i'll have to add The Innocents,The haunting,Theatre of Blood(this is with Vincent Price isn't it?),The Skull,Shuttered Room,Peeping Tom,Blood on Satan's Claw and those Italian horrors to my wanted list.
LeBon i've got a really cool book by Jonathan Sothcott called The Cult Films Of Christopher Lee which has a chapter on Curse of the Crimson Altar,with great pictures including Boris Karloff,and i've been wanting to see this for a long time.Other Lee movies with devoted chapters i haven't seen are Curse of Frankenstein(i did actually see this one a long,long time ago),Two Faces Of Dr Jeckyl,Rasputin(not horror),Night Of The Big Heat and a few more mentioned besides.
Juan Miranda,i saw Death Line on TV about 4 years ago but messed up with the taping having removed the video tabs-damnit and i remember Lee had only had a one scene cameo,unfortunately.I always dislike the fact that Lee disappears halfway through the Theatre of Death movie because he's really good in this!BTW i've made a note of the Mario Bava movie.
Oh Yeau,Leone_Admirer thanks once again for the tip off about the Wicker Man 2DVD Set.We ordered a copy this morning from Amazon for just £4.97!!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2005, 03:34:08 AM »

Thats fine, £4.97! Wow. Good bargain. Romero tries to pull out the stops but the film is too short and I'm not keen on the head zombie, Big Daddy. The Thing was directed by John Carpenter (and that is a fantastic fright film) David Cronenberg directed Videodrome, Scanners, Dead Ringers (his best film), The Fly, Naked Lunch to name a few.  James Cameron directed Aliens. (If your an Alien fan, its worth picking up the nine disc Quadrilogy set, its has at least 6 hour docos for each film.)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2005, 07:17:49 AM »

Of course it was Cameron with Aliens and i'm really making myself look silly with this mixing up of directors!!!
I'm gonna chance my arm and say i really enjoy the Carpenters The Fog(please let it be him!).I really like Cronenbergs The Fly too!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2005, 08:26:52 AM »

I very much enjoy John Carpenter' s The Fog also as well as the excellent The Fly (Which I recently double dipped and bought the R1 version with the 2 1/2 hour excellent making of doco).

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 08:50:27 AM »

I've just got home from the movies and got the tube home. I'm on the Picadilly line, so I often think of DEATH LINE when I go through Russell Square (where much of it was set, if not actually shot).

Isn't there now a closed station linked to Holborn (Next stop down to Russell on the Picadilly south).
Aldwych, I think.. they purely use it for TV/film. Or maybe it was called Museum (mentioned in the film) not sure. Its a odd little dead end station in the middle of Holborn and Covent Garden.
Which has now vanished off modern maps.

So the physicallity of filming in a abondened tube station is reality. spooky.

Donald Pleasence charactor is great, not your stereotipical part for him. Proper pre-Sweeney Detective hamming it up.. I had to do a rewind on his film introduction. Couldn't believe it. Had me in stitches when hes drunk in the pub and the scene with Christopher Lee.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 08:52:30 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2005, 08:54:17 AM »

You are right Smoker, it featured heavily in Die Another Day.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2005, 08:55:31 AM »

"Tea bags!? And I was blamin' the Indians..."

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2005, 10:56:33 AM »

Marsha wheres my football coupons!?!

'Taking hes tea bag out of the cup with a dart'

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2005, 05:41:33 PM »

Let's hear it for Donald Pleasence!

One of cinema's great eccentrics, and one of it's hardest workers. He was in such a bewidering array of movies that I'm surprised he never made a Euro Western (if I'm wrong let me know).

He was a superb nutter in the US western WILL PENNY, acting every one off the screen as usual. He was a mercurial and utterly unpredictable actor, once seen never forgotten, and it was always a joy/moment of anxiety when he suddely showed up in something you were watching, unexpectedly.

My fave acts from him are his tragic boffin in THE GREAT ESCAPE, his daft copper in DEATH LINE (pictured), his creepy war veteran (starring with his equally spooky daughter!) in FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE, and especially in CUL-DE-SAC. In this Polanski directed slice of unclassifiable genius, Pleasance takes his weak, pathetic character and runs off with it into astounding realms of acting, much of it slighly repulsive to watch, but always riviting. Pure genius! (CUL-DE-SAC also starred Lionel Stander from OUTITW)

I always love watching him in the Columbo episode he did too, ANY OLD PORT IN A STORM, partly because there are scenes where he clearly throws Peter Falk (no stranger to improvisation, via his Cassavetes collaborations). I swear that there are moments when Pleasance does some peculiar little bit of acting biz, a sudden unexpected expression, or shift of tone, and you can actualy see Falk on screen watching him in awe and thinking "Boy! Look what this guy is doing now!"

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 07:46:56 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2005, 03:49:08 AM »

You're right about Pleasence's versatility including playing Blofeld with scar very well in You Only Live Twice,the President of the USA in Escape fron New York and a wonderfully nutty performance as the mafia boss's
analyst in the great Hill & Spencer slapstick comedy Watch Out We're Mad.
And we all should'nt forget that he starred in a spaghetti western alongside Franco Nero in Django Strikes Again.In this enjoyable official sequel to the original Django Pleasence plays Ben Gunn an intellectual  who helps Nero escape from a labour camp.
   From looking at his filmography he starred in a few horror films i don't have including the Haloween series which i usually try and avoid because the slasher type movies don't do anything for me!

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2005, 06:05:07 AM »

Ah ha! So he was in a spaghetti!

I've only ever seen the first HALLOWEEN film. Teen slashers are not a genre I find in the least bit interesting either. Pleasance was the third actor to be approached for this role. Carpenter originally wanted Chris Lee, but he turned it down. Just as well for Carpenter, as he would have been utterly wrong in that part.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »

He was also in SOLDIER BLUE. Was it as a Gun runner or Medicine man or is that Will Penny ?  I also liked his performances in FROM BEYOND, CUL DE SAC and GREAT ESCAPE. His Blofeld i did not care for in YOLT - too bland.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »

Did a wonderful turn as Father Loomis in Prince Of Darkness. Carpentor loved using the guy.
Cul De Sac is probably my fav performance.

Let's hear it for Donald Pleasence!

'Er Greengrocer.. No er.. twit'. That screenshot is class.  Grin

Pleasence was Micheal Reeves intended choice actor for Matthew Hopkins Witchfinder General. But the US backers wanted Vincent Price.

For all you UK bods out there..

Why? because well.. i like the UK title better.
And the original MGM cover was god awful to my eyes. Unmistakable NewYork Subway train & tunnel on the front cover. And our frazzled carnivorous friend looks like he's got to red shiny billiard balls for eyes. very poor.

Hi Res Printable copy here:
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3460/deathlinerawmeat0bf.jpg

Deathline custom cover for the MGM Region 1 DVD (Raw Meat) - Used a subway map (Russell Square is highlighted in the titles) and some soundtrack artwork. The internet isn't exactly swamped with posters for this movie as expected. 

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 02:52:33 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM