Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:00:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Spaghetti Westerns on a Budget
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spaghetti Westerns on a Budget  (Read 9845 times)
quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there in SW land has purchased this 5-disc DVD set? And if so, what is it like? I imagine every print is a poor quality Public Domain print, but hey for $10, why not!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=3PVDZKHFTS50RKC4D3FFAGA?skuId=14591603&productCategoryId=cat02102&type=product&tab=2&id=1474257

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »

The Johnny Yuma print used is taken from the Wild East disc without permission and cut! (According to the Wild East people)
Apparently some movies (Any Gun Can Play and Find A Place To Die) are copies from the VCI discs and some other movies probably from some other budget discs out there.

I think I remember someone even saying how this DVD set would have been removed from sale, but I don't know if it's true. (might explain why its on backorder at that site)

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 02:19:53 PM »

It doesn't give the aspect ratio so i would guess they are in fullscreen? I checked one of the single movie discs and it gave the aspect ratio for that. Some nice titles in that set though!!

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 02:28:29 PM »

Yeah, that would explain why it is on backorder, which sucks because it did sound like a nice mix of movies (most of which I do not own).  For those unwilling to click on the link, the set includes:

# Minnesota Clay (1965)
# Any Gun Can Play (1967)
# The Hellbenders (1967)
# White Comanche (1967)
# Johnny Yuma (1967)
# Savage Guns (1968)
# I Lunghi Giorni dell'Odio (1968)
# Find a Place to Die (1968)
# Boot Hill (1969)
# En el Oeste Se Puede Hacer... Amigo (1971)
# J. and S. - storia criminale del far west (1972)
# Cutthroats 9 (1972)

Oh, well, maybe next time.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 06:05:58 AM »

The Johnny Yuma print used is taken from the Wild East disc without permission and cut! (According to the Wild East people)

Really? The quality on the WE disc isn't amazing anyway, but to take it without permission. What cheek!

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »

Okay, so I ordered this from B&N about a week ago and I finally got it.  If anyone is interested the set included the following movies:

Disc 1:
Boot Hill - a poor fullscreen print
Any Gun Can Play - widescreen print taken from the VCI transfer

Disc 2:
Savage Guns (aka His Name was Sam Walbash, but They Call Him Amen) - poor fullscreen print
Find a Place to Die - widescreen print taken from the VCI transfer
White Comanche - poor fullscreen print

Disc 3:
Cut-Throats Nine - widescreen print taken from the Eurovista transfer
Hellbenders - a decent fullscreen print
It Can Be Done, Amigo - a poor fullscreen print

Disc 4:
Between God, the Devil and a Winchester - a poor fullscreen print
Johnny Yuma - widescreen print taken from the Wild East transfer

Disc 5:
This Man Can't Die - a decent fullscreen print
Minnesota Clay - widescreen print taken from the Shoarma Digital transfer
The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe - a poor fullscreen print

I pieced most of this together by looking at Sundance's "Fistful of DVDs" website and comparing screenshots from the site to my DVDs.  All in all I am satisfied.  Hell, $12 for all of these films...not bad.  I would recommend it to anyone (like myself) who is just starting to branch out from the Leone films into the greater SW world.

Christopher
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 06:49:14 PM »

I'm surprised that, for a cheap set, any of the movies are in widescreen. Maybe one of these days, I'll try to get a copy, since it's not likely I'd get a lot of chances to see some of those movies. How do these movies stack up against other SW's (there's probably some threads for some of those, right?)?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 09:37:38 PM »

How good are the minnesota clay and any gun can play widescreen transfers? Are they pretty clear or just barely watchable?...

update: doesn't matter now since I had to jump at such a great offer... i bought it for 8 bucks on amazon... look for spaghetti western collectors edition from diamond ent. corp... same company, close name, I hope I got the right one, there was no actual info on amazon other than that.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 10:58:24 AM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 04:45:45 PM »

Hey All,

I am posting the link to the set that I purchased, but I believe the set that grandpa_chum ordered is the same thing...at least it is made by the same company.  Also below the link for the set, I am including screenshots (that is hopefully they work) of Minnesota Clay, Cut-throats Nine, and Any Gun Can Play.  Each of the screeshots were taken from the DVD set I purchased.

The Link to the set on B&N:
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=11891951142&userid=qK1MTMmCZV&frm=0&itm=2

Fistful of Screenshots:

Minnesota Clay:

Cut-Throats Nine:

Any Gun Can Play:

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 12:11:33 AM »

looks pretty good, I decided to cancel my order with amazon and just go with the B&N order since I got word the amazon order would take 3-6 weeks to process given it's poor availability there... my punishment for trying saving money.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Christopher
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 04:53:30 PM »

I found a two-disc Spaghetti Western Collector's Edition today in a used CD/DVD store. Only had to pay five dollars. It's from Diamond Entertainment too. Disc one has Boot Hill and Any Gun Can Play, and Disc two has Find a Place to Die, Savage Guns, and White Comanche. I see that's the same order of the first two discs for the DVD set that this thread is about. Maybe they split the set up in two collections. Huh

I haven't checked to see if any are in widescreen, but will soon.

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »

Hey All,

Christopher, I think the set that you found was part of the same collection, at least I found it online as well and was going to get it, but I saw the 5 disc collection for a few dollars more (couldn't resist) and decided to go with that.

Anyway here is the link I found for the same collection:
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=11891930468&userid=Hr0AhUnC8n&frm=0&itm=6

Enjoy

Christopher
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 09:10:16 PM »

Disc 1:
Boot Hill - a poor fullscreen print
Any Gun Can Play - widescreen print taken from the VCI transfer

Disc 2:
Savage Guns (aka His Name was Sam Walbash, but They Call Him Amen) - poor fullscreen print
Find a Place to Die - widescreen print taken from the VCI transfer
White Comanche - poor fullscreen print
My two discs match this description.

Do you think they have the other three discs in their own box set too? I'm sure it's cheaper to get them all together, but since the set I found was used, I might be able to get the others cheap too.

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 10:02:56 AM »

Hey All,

I don't know if Diamond Entertainment will put out the other movies on a separate collection, however St. Clair Vision (another low budget DVD company) has a collection set for release on Feb. 7.  It includes most, though not all, of the movies that were not included in your 2 disc collection.

Here is the link I found for the new collection:
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=777966898193&userid=Hr0AhUnC8n&frm=0&itm=6

Enjoy

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 05:05:13 PM »

I just watched Savage Guns (aka His Name was Sam Walbash, but They Call Him Amen).
It immediately jumped to #52 (out of 53) on my SW list.  Tongue
I will say this about it...it's better than Gods Gun  Wink

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM