Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:18:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Spaghetti Westerns on a Budget
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spaghetti Westerns on a Budget  (Read 9775 times)
quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 09:50:26 AM »

I, too, just finished Savage Guns (aka His Name was Sam Walbash, but They Call Him Amen), and I just want to express how confused I feel.  First off, no one called Sam "Amen," he just said it a couple of times after killing a couple of Mash Flanigan/Donovan's posse.  Second, what the hell kind of name is Mash Flanigan? Third, what happened to the three "tough-men" that Mash hired to hunt down Sam, I don't remember Sam killing them, because when Sam makes a deal with Mash's right hand man, the bounty killer with the knife kills the right hand man.  Did I miss something?  Fourth, what the hell was with the slow motion fight scene in the poker palace?  It had no point, whatsoever!  Fifth, why did Mash's men need to get to the blacksmith's house before dark? When Sam arrived there to kill them (sort of) it was like 3:00 p.m. and bright as hell outside! Finally, did anyone notice that it took more shots to kill Sam's parents than it did to kill all of Mash's men? Talk about overkill. 

Still Confused

Christopher
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 04:18:04 PM »

I've been looking through some of those 50 movie box sets and came across THIS. Of course not all of the movies are spaghetti westerns, but there looks to be a decent number. Seeing that there's 50 movies on 12 discs, there probably isn't anything special about the transfers, but here's the list of the movies:
Any Gun Can Play starring Edd Byrnes
Apache Blood starring Ray Danton
Belle Star Story, The starring Elsa Martinelli
Billy the Kid Returns starring Roy Rogers
Boot Hill starring Terence Hill
Cry Blood Apache starring Joel McCrea
Curse of Demon Mountain starring Joe Don Baker
Dan Candyís Law starring Donald Sutherland
Day of the Wolves starring Richard Egan
Days of Jesse James starring Roy Rogers
Dead Aim starring Glen Lee
Deadwood í76 starring Arch Hall, Jr.
Death Rides a Horse starring Lee Van Cleef
Devil and Leroy Bassett, The starring Cody Bearpaw
Four Rode Out starring Leslie Nielsen
Fugitive Valley starring Ray Corrigan
Godís Gun starring Lee Van Cleef
Gun and the Pulpit, The starring Marjoe Gortner
Hands Across the Border starring Roy Rogers
Hanged Man, The starring Steve Forrest
Jesse Jamesí Women starring Don "Red" Barry
Joshua starring Fred Williamson
Kid Vengeance starring Lee Van Cleef
Law Men starring Johnny Mack Brown
Lawless Frontier, The starring John Wayne
Lights of Old Santa Fe starring Roy Rogers
Lucky Texan, The starring John Wayne
Mad Dog Morgan starring Dennis Hopper
Man from Music Mountain, The starring Gene Autry
Man from Utah, The starring John Wayne
One-Eyed Soldiers, The starring Dale Robertson
Paradise Canyon starring John Wayne
Public Cowboy #1 starring Gene Autry
Rage at Dawn starring Randolph Scott
Randy Rides Alone starring John Wayne
Riders of Destiny starring John Wayne
Riders of the Whistling Skull starring Ray Corrigan
Rim of the Canyon starring Gene Autry
Savage Guns starring Robert Woods
Savage Journey starring Richard Moll
Seven Alone starring Dewy Martin
Showdown at Willliams Creek starring Raymond Burr
Star Packer, The starring John Wayne
Texas Terror starring John Wayne
They Call Me Trinity starring Terence Hill
This Man Canít Die starring Guy Madison
Trinity and Sartana starring Robert Widmark
Utah starring Roy Rogers
Wildfire starring Bob Steele
Yuma starring Clint Walk
Does anybody have any of these box sets? I'm most curious about the Chilling Classics set of horror movies (mainly--or at least it looks like) from the 70's and 80's.

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »

Christopher,

I actually own the Martial Arts 50 mega movie pack and the  Chilling Classics 50 Mega movie pack, and if you want (as I did) just to watch some of the movies, without worrying about transfer quality or special features, then this set is definately worth it.  I have watched a lot of the films, and most of them are discount fullscreen quality transfers which basically means the quality ranges from fair to extremely poor.  Deepdiscountdvd.com has the Gunslinger set for $16.17 with no shipping charge.  Here is the link for that: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VMG007017

However, they do not carry the Chilling Classics, but here is a list of what is on that collection:

Death Rage
Memorial Valley Massacre
Medusa
Deadtime Stories
Scream Bloody Murder
The Bell From Hell
Metamorphosis
Naked Massacre
Haunts
Christmas Evil
Driller Killer
Horror Express
The Snake People
Sisters of Death
War of theiRobots
Oasis of theiZombies
The Witches' Mountain
Deep Red
The Revenge of Doctor X
Bad Taste
Virus
The Milpitas Monster
Funeral Home
Lady Frankenstein
Silent Night, Bloody Night
Panic
Messiah of Evil
The Blancheville Monster
Cathy's Curse
The Alpha Incident
The Demons of Ludlow
The Cold
Hands ofia Stranger
Gothic
Maniin theiAttic
The Demon
Crypt of theiLiving Dead
Track of theiMoon Beast
The Ghost
Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter
Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon
The Bloody Brood
House of theiDead
Slashed Dreams
A Bucket of Blood
Horrors of Spider Island
The Legend of Big Foot
The Devil's Hand
I Bury theiLiving
Drive-In Massacre

and a copy of the back of the box:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364549357018&item_id=745673&tab=5&back=1

I believe I found my copy at my local Best Buy store for about $19.99, so I would check around for a better price than $27.00.  If you have any questions about the collection feel free to ask. Enjoy.

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 04:27:13 PM »

I almost forgot! I also found this set:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SCL089819

at Deepdiscountdvd.com for $5.99 which includes:

THE GRAND DUEL,
THIS MAN CAN'T DIE,
IT CAN BE DONE AMIGO,
MINNESOTA CLAY,
JOHNNY YUMA,
ANY GUY CAN PLAY,
DEATH RIDES A HORSE,
THE HELLBENDERS,
and WHITE COMANCHE

I own a Giant Monsters (3 Disc) set, with a bunch of Gamera movies on it made by the same company, so if it is anything like this set you can once again expect cheap, fullscreen transfers with few (if any) special features.  But for $5.99, what a set!  Enjoy.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 06:16:29 PM »

I've been looking through some of those 50 movie box sets and came across THIS. Of course not all of the movies are spaghetti westerns, but there looks to be a decent number. Seeing that there's 50 movies on 12 discs, there probably isn't anything special about the transfers, but here's the list of the movies:Does anybody have any of these box sets? I'm most curious about the Chilling Classics set of horror movies (mainly--or at least it looks like) from the 70's and 80's.

I've got this set..what I can tell you so far is............

Any Gun Can Play.......Widescreen...passable transfer...w/ some audio hiss...not bad

Belle Starr Story.........Fullscreen...pretty rare 1968 SW...Marco Leone started a thread on it here---> http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2027.0

Boot Hill......Fullscreen

Dead Aim.....also known as "Arde, Baby Arde" & "Lucky Johnny...1975 Eurowestern filmed in Mexico...fullscreen..kind of an interesting premise--> undertakers who provide their own clientele  Tongue

Death Rides a Horse...the fullscreen version we all know about

God’s Gun........yuck, pooey..awful movie

Joshua .....Spaghetti inspired AW from 1976 w/ Fred (The Hammer) Williamson out for revenge on the 5 men who killed his mother...Fullscreen..good transfer...watchable movie

Kid Vengeance....bad..but not as bad as its reputation

Savage Guns...a/k/a "Era Sam Wallach... lo chiamavano 'cosž sia'"...pretty lousy..mentioned elsewhere in this thread

They Call Me Trinity...lovely movie...yucky fullscreen

This Man Can’t Die .......a/k/a "Long Days Of Hate"...my review---> http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2782.0

Trinity and Sartana....a/ka "Trinity and Sartana... Those Dirty S.O.B.s ".........a pretty lame attempt at a SW comedy w/ Harry Baird & Alberto Dell'aqua as NOT the Trinity & Sartana we all know & love

Cry Blood Apache...one of the worst movies, not just Westerns...ever

Four Rode Out..haven't watched it yet..an AW filmed in Almeria

Rage At Dawn...pretty typical Randolph Scott B Western..OK but nothing too special

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 02:07:26 PM »

I compiled this list because A) I wanted to further my spaghetti western collection and B) I don't have that much money.  That being said, I am always on the lookout for a cheap way to make my collection grow.  I try to search out the best quality of films (i.e., DVD quality transfers in widescreen format), however, if it comes to seeing the film in the best quality but spending a fortune to do so, or spending a couple of bucks and still being able to cross a film off my list of must-sees, I will always go with the latter, cheaper choice.  So here is my list of the discount collections I have found (and own) and links to sites where they (usually) are the cheapest.  I would love any input or additions! Enjoy.

The Spaghetti Western Collection (5-Pack DVD set) - Diamond Entertainment: US $10.78
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=11891951142&userid=Vb3V9gyCuo&frm=0&itm=2
    Disc 1
   1. Boot Hill - 1969 - 94 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   2. Any Gun Can Play - 1968 - 105 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
    Disc 2
   1. Find a Place to Die - 1968 - 89 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
   2. Savage Guns - 1968 - 85 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   3. White Comanche - 1967 - 90 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent/poor quality
    Disc 3
   1. It Can Be Done, Amigo - 1971 - 84 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   2. Hellbenders - 1967 - 92 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent/poor quality
   3. Cut-throats Nine - 1972 - 93 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
    Disc 4
   1. Between God, the Devil and a Winchester - 1968 - 98 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   2. Johnny Yuma - 1967 - 99 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
    Disc 5
   1. This Man Can't Die - 1968 - 90 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent/poor quality
   2. Minnesota Clay - 1965 - 89 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
   3. The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe - 1972 - 92 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality

Spaghetti Westerns (3 Disc set) - St. Clair Vision Entertainment US $5.99
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SCL089819
    Disc 1
   1. The Grand Duel - 1973 - 90 min. - color - widescreen transfer - good quality
   2. This Man Can't Die - 1968 - 90 min. - black & white - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   3. It Can Be Done, Amigo - 1971 - 98 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   Bonus: Showdowns
    Disc 2
   1. Minnesota Clay - 1965 - 84 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
   2. Johnny Yuma - 1967 - 95 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
   3. Any Gun Can Play - 1968 - 97 min. - color - widescreen transfer - very good quality
   Bonus - Edward Byrnes Bio
    Disc 3
   1. Death Rides a Horse - 1969 - 114 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - poor quality
   2. Hellbenders - 1967 - 92 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent/poor quality
   3. White Comanche - 1967 - 94 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent/poor quality
   Bonus - Trailers: For a Few Dollars More, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Gunmen of the Rio Grande, The Magnificent Seven, and Ride the High Country

Have a Nice Funeral, My Friend - Geneon Entertainment - 1970 - 97 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent quality US $5.99
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=PIO012689

A Bullet For Sandoval - 905 Entertainment - 1969 - 90 min. - color - fullscreen transfer - decent/poor quality US $5.99
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=EVG002104

Total Spent -  US $28.75
Total # of Spaghetti Westerns - 17

Tim
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »

Not bad, quesodiablo.  That works out to about $1.70 a movie, so even if the quality isn't great, you're still paying less than $2 a movie.

Is there some significance to your screenname?  I haven't taken a spanish class in awhile, but if I'm not mistaken, that means "Cheese Devil."  Or am I misreading or misinterpreting it?

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 05:31:01 PM »

Yeah, Tim! I couldn't believe it myself, but the great news is that a lot of them ARE great widescreen transfers! So $1.70 a flick is great.

As far as my name goes...nah, just an old joke between a buddy of mine.  Other than that you can fear the cheese if you want to, but don't feel as though it is a necessity.

I would really love other users to keep this list going, though.  If you find a real find, please post it.  Hell, I might buy it myself.

Enjoy

DeZuniga
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 04:13:04 PM »

I've been meaning to pick up that 5-disc set myself... seeing as how the whole set costsless than a single disc copy of Cutthroats 9. I wondered if the copy on this set has the same flaw as the single... the sound goes out of synch in the last 10 minutes. There's not a lot of dialogue so it's not noticeable for awhile. But suddenly the sounds of dialogue and gunfire come in about 5 seconds before they should. You notice this at all?

quesodiablo
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 04:56:16 PM »

DeZuniga,

I haven't actually made my way to Cutthroats 9, yet, but I put it in my DVD player and fast forwarded to about 15 minutes to the end and watched it.  As far as I could tell, the copy I have is not off (except at the very end when the cabin blows up, the sounds of the explosions are heard before the video of the cabin going up is shown, though this way it is more dramatic).  Perhaps what some have noticed is simply the flaw of dubbing in general.  I have watched Film Company produced DVDs (such as MGM) in which the sound seems off (though only slightly) but it is attributed to the dubbing.  However, if it is as bad as you say (5 seconds is a lot), the copy on this set does not seem to be flawed.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 08:38:11 AM »

Cheers Quesodiablo,i've just ordered the 5 dvd set and although i already have some of the titles,it still boosts my sw collection by a massive eight.
The main reason i've purchased this is because of the inclusion of Johnny Yuma/Between God...etc so for a price of much less than the single Wildeast disc i'm ending up with an extra eleven sw's.
Apart from this i'm looking forward to Boot Hill which completes the Colizzi trilogy for me and i get to see an uncut version of Any Gun Can Play-i'm missing the much talked about intro from my vhs!Also among others can't wait to see Minnesota Clay,Shanghai Joe and Find A Place To Die.
What a fantastic bargain!!!

Christopher
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there in SW land has purchased this 5-disc DVD set? And if so, what is it like? I imagine every print is a poor quality Public Domain print, but hey for $10, why not!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=3PVDZKHFTS50RKC4D3FFAGA?skuId=14591603&productCategoryId=cat02102&type=product&tab=2&id=1474257
I found this box set out yesterday, but didn't get it since I had the two-disc version with five movies. It is the store's going out of business sale, so it was at a discounted price. I might go back to get it if the movies on the other discs are supposed to be pretty good.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 09:47:34 PM »

Well Sonny & Jed is supposed to be good & the Hellbenders and Johnny Yuma too, after them I've heard not too much, though Minnesota Clay is more like an AW.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 04:22:46 AM »

After my order had been put back for a THIRD time i've decided to cancel it but the good news is that i've eventually found the box set on the much more reliable Amazon USA which can be accessed on the following link:-
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AARK62/103-3224503-4423821?v=glance&n=130

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM