Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:42:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lardani - the man behind Leone's title sequences!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lardani - the man behind Leone's title sequences!  (Read 7996 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2005, 02:57:00 AM »

Yesterday i had a personal message from a new member asking the name of the guy who made the silhouetted men on horse back and other groundbreaking animatied title sequences on Leones Dollar trilogy.I looked it up in my SW bible,Howard Hughes "Once Upon A Time In The Italian West" and its someone called Lardini(no first name given).Sounds like a famous magician who's eaten too many pies!!It had me curious so i did a search for Lardini on the forum but i  got  no results.Does anyone know anything more about Lardini and other well known films he did the title sequences for.
It looks like i'm going to have to scour through the credits on my SW dvd collection to see if Lardini is responsible for any other great SW title sequences!!!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 03:47:29 AM by banjo » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:48:45 AM »

Sorry folks,it's LARDANI,i've just edited the thread title!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 06:00:32 AM »

Thanks banjo, I saw the members post yesterday and was hunting around trying to find it but was interupted by the fact that I had to help put the Christmas tree up!

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 06:15:51 AM »

I've been looking through the same book with Big Gundown,Face to Face and Day of Anger in mind because there are similar title sequences in all three(and there must be a few more besides) but i haven't found anything yet.I guess i may have to check the DVD credits to find out!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 06:18:37 AM »

This Hughes book certainly seems like a must purchase, I wish I had picked it up in Borders now.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 07:01:57 AM »

Its great with much discussion about dozens of other SW's apart from the main 20 and i'm forever picking it up to look  things up.I'd recommend it to anyone who even has Hughes pocket guide because that book barely scratches the surface of the 31 films reviewed in comparison.
I borrowed Fraylings book from the 1980's from the library a while ago and while indispensable for Leone fanatics i found its style too dry,scholarly,dull and completely useless for non-Leone SW's! 

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 07:44:24 AM »

I found this on the subject. The translation is Google's, so don't blame me...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.generique-cinema.net/createurs/lardani.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DLARDANI%2Bleone%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 08:07:11 AM »

Brilliant Juan Miranda,so his first name is Luigi!!
I hadn't thought of Run Man Run but its obvious isn't it with all the silhouettes.I've only the cut Blood & Guns version of Tepepa and i think theres a split screen isn't there?The Michele Lupo movie from 1967 surely isn't a western.
So thats it for Luigi Lardani.You'd have thought he'd done several more western title sequences than just five.Well at least we know now!!!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:00:03 AM »

This gets curiouser and curiouser. Yesterday at the bookstore I came across a recently published coffee-table book called Uncredited, http://www.amazon.com/Uncredited-Graphic-Design-Opening-Titles/dp/8496309525/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211435665&sr=1-1
about the the art of motion picture title design. As you might expect, all the usual suspects are there: Saul Bass, Maurice Binder, the guy who did Strangelove, on and on. At 2 points the authors mention Lardani and give examples of his work from FAFDM and GBU. Now here's the weird part: they refer to him as Eugenio Lardani and note that he is sometimes called Luigi, but that his real name was Inigo (!!!). Nonetheless, in the index he is listed as Lardani, Eugenio.

This mysterious person is really starting to appeal to me, especially as I consider how interesting his work on the Dollar pictures is. It's amazing that so little is known about him: if you go to IMDb, for example, there are exhaustive credits about the many people involved in, say, FAFDM's production, with just about everyone mentioned, even the continuity girl, but not a word about Lardani.

And isn't it interesting that Frayling calls him "Lardini"?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »

Seems like he would be interesting to research.  Not much info out there.  If you hadn't tied all those names together in your post, could almost wonder whether Lardani was a firm that consisted of artists that were related with the same last name.   His work, particularly on AFOD and GBU is so good, would think he would of had an opportunity to do a ton of work on other films.  IMDb does have a separate listing for Eugenio Lardani with other films listed.  He did the credits for Tepepa as well, which are quite similar to  FFDM.  Also check this out.  He's listed on this site as Iginio Lardani.  This site is similar to the one you posted on Saul Bass with examples of opening credits (although I think I liked the Bass one better).  This has examples of various artists and has AFOD (animation) and GBU (mixed media) with the artist as Iginio. 

http://www.submarinechannel.com/titlesequences/index.jsp   

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »

Thanks, N_SS. It's wild that the IMDb entry for Eugenio Lardani has GBU as his earliest film. Then over at the AFOD page Luigi Lardani is credited with titles and animation, but, as I wrote earlier, the FAFDM page has never heard of him. Sure, I can understand the confusion: the guy kept changing his name. Maybe that's why his career was so short-lived; difficult to point to a track record credited to some other guy. You kind of wonder how many CVs he used . . .

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:12 PM »

Hey Dave, I went back to that site I referenced.  I noticed a scroll down on Iginio Lardani I had missed.  Maybe you caught it.  If so, just ignore me.... It was kind of hidden running off the GBU credit screen.  Also his credit work for Run, Man, Run and Face To Face are kind of hidden running off that screen as well.  Here's some of the biographical info I overlooked, just in case you missed it too.

Not so much is known about Iginio Lardani, so we contacted his son Alberto who worked with his father for more than twelve years. "My father didn't attend any kind of graphic design school", Alberto writes, "He was an autodidact with a great interest in painting. He entered the film world as film poster designer and created, among others, the Italian poster of 'High Noon'. Beside the 'Dollars' trilogy, my father designed the title sequences of many other Italian films, but his main activity was the editing of film trailers. His trailers of 'Mogliemante' by M. Vicario and 'Una Giornata Particolare' by Ettore Scola were awarded first and second place among five hundred trailers within the Cannes film festival of 1978. And Iginio created TV ads".

"He was allowed an entirely free hand when designing title sequences and film trailers and he worked from his own study. Since 1986, the year my father passed away, I have continued his work" explains Alberto.

Clinton
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »

Hey Dave, I went back to that site I referenced.  I noticed a scroll down on Iginio Lardani I had missed.  Maybe you caught it.  If so, just ignore me.... It was kind of hidden running off the GBU credit screen.  Also his credit work for Run, Man, Run and Face To Face are kind of hidden running off that screen as well.  Here's some of the biographical info I overlooked, just in case you missed it too.

Not so much is known about Iginio Lardani, so we contacted his son Alberto who worked with his father for more than twelve years. "My father didn't attend any kind of graphic design school", Alberto writes, "He was an autodidact with a great interest in painting. He entered the film world as film poster designer and created, among others, the Italian poster of 'High Noon'. Beside the 'Dollars' trilogy, my father designed the title sequences of many other Italian films, but his main activity was the editing of film trailers. His trailers of 'Mogliemante' by M. Vicario and 'Una Giornata Particolare' by Ettore Scola were awarded first and second place among five hundred trailers within the Cannes film festival of 1978. And Iginio created TV ads".

"He was allowed an entirely free hand when designing title sequences and film trailers and he worked from his own study. Since 1986, the year my father passed away, I have continued his work" explains Alberto.

The quote is correct. The designer was Iginio ("Gigi") Lardani, born in Ferno, near Áscoli Piceno, on December 24, 1924 (he died on May 15, 1986). I also had an interview with Alberto Lardani at his workplace in Via Reno, Rome.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 03:54:02 PM »

Thanks, N_SS, I had in fact missed that material, and very valuable it is, too. Clinton, thanks for your additional info, but what's this about an interview? Are you holding out on us? Shocked

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:16 PM »

HIS WORK IN ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA WAS MASTERFUL

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM