Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:46:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Is that a Henry?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is that a Henry?  (Read 8403 times)
Beebs
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:06 AM »

Here's a few shots. I think the gun is a Henry, anybody got any idea what year or if it really is a Henry?

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:00:53 AM »

After the debate over this very subject on the GBU section a few weeks ago I would be tempted to say "lets see the other profile".

Beebs
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »

What debate is that, Colonel?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 10:22:51 AM »

That's a Henry repeating rifle. It was the first repeating rifle ever invented and it was the first to hold cartridges instead of the cap-and-ball way of loading. It was invented for the Civil War but the Union army didn't buy them because they weren't as powerful as the Springfield.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 03:39:42 PM »

That's a Henry repeating rifle. It was the first repeating rifle ever invented and it was the first to hold cartridges instead of the cap-and-ball way of loading. It was invented for the Civil War but the Union army didn't buy them because they weren't as powerful as the Springfield.

Actually it has more to do with the fact that other, more efficient (and accurate) repeaters like the Sharps and Spencer were also available and used en masse by the US Cavalry and sharpshooters.  The Henry was not a spectacular weapon, even by 1860's standards.  (They were also prohibitively expensive, IIRC.)

There was also a common "wisdom" in the army (which remained prevalent until after 1900) that repeaters and breach-loaders encouraged soldiers to "waste" more ammunition, so a single-shot muzzle-loader was better.  As late as the Spanish-American War, the uniform arm of the US Army were slightly updated versions of the Springfield 1860 rifled musket.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Beebs
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 05:26:46 PM »

There's a great little gun shop here in town and the have a real by God Henry. 40,000. And thats the cheap one. They have one that's about 70,000 because they have a fellow there that has a whole volume of books and books volume after volume of Roll call books for the Civil War. They tracked the Serial number and found what battles it was in and sho carried and what not. Pretty dang cool. I got to hold it too! Grin

Beautiful rifle for the 1860's. I put my hands on one anyday.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 04:35:38 PM »

I've always thought it was a Henry.  However, the Henry was not the first repeater, as has been said.  There was the Colt percussion, Maynard breechloader, and the Spencer.  Perhaps there are even more that came before the Henry.
If I remember my Gettysburg battle correctly, it was John Buford's cavalry using Spencers that kept the Rebs from advancing to the high ground on the opening day of battle.

Beebs
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 04:37:38 PM »

You are correct sir. The first was the Spencer. I was mistaken. I guess you could say the Henry was the first repeater to look like a repeater Cheesy

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:22:39 PM »

Just remember Beebs. Guns don't kill people. Rappers do.

Beebs
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »

Just remember Beebs. Guns don't kill people. Rappers do.

AAAAAAAmen.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 06:26:52 PM »

I agree.  The Henry was the first to actually look like a repeater in the traditional sense we've come to associate with the West.    I'm mistaken about the Maynard though, I think it was only a single shot. 

Beebs
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 06:28:43 PM »

I agree.  The Henry was the first to actually look like a repeater in the traditional sense we've come to associate with the West.    I'm mistaken about the Maynard though, I think it was only a single shot. 

I am not at all familiar with the Maynard actually, so I wouldn't know if it was a repeater or not. I'll take your word for it.

Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 07:49:01 PM »

The 15 shot Henry is the first true repeater in the sense that all mechanics are achieved  by activating the breech mechanism.  On the 7 shot  Spencer you still had to cock the hammer each time you ejected and inserted a cartridge.  The Maynard is a single shot breech loader percussion cap carbine.  The Colt Repeater was simply an extended revolver.  There was, however, another interesting “revolving” repeater similar to the Colt’s called the LaMatt but this one had an 18 gauge shotgun under the carbine barrel. Shocked 

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
Beebs
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 07:58:30 PM »

Never heard of an 18 gauge before Shocked

al mullock
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 08:11:41 AM »

im not really agree with you guys

the real name of this repeating rifle is "volcanic rifle"
created by the "volcanic repeating arms company"
one of the ingeneer was tyler HENRY

this firm will be bought by Oliver f. winchester and later TYLER HENRY will be the great manager of this new company which will be named "HENRY REPEATING ARMS COMPANY"
they will sell the new repeating rifle named "henry rifle"

then in 1866 Nelson king take the place of tyler Henry and customize the henry rifle with a new loading and ejection sytem... anew firm and a new repeating rifle is born the winchester 1866("the yellow boy")

go have a look at www.winchestercollector.org

you will see an excellent picture of "volcanic rifle"
and you ll easily compare with the FAFDM picture...
see ya..

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM