Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:42:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Is that a Henry?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is that a Henry?  (Read 8148 times)
Beebs
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 04:45:25 PM »

No matter what they're called, they sure are pretty rifles arent they! Shocked I've been lucky enough to hold an original

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 04:58:33 PM »

I've always thought it was a Henry.  However, the Henry was not the first repeater, as has been said.  There was the Colt percussion, Maynard breechloader, and the Spencer.  Perhaps there are even more that came before the Henry.
If I remember my Gettysburg battle correctly, it was John Buford's cavalry using Spencers that kept the Rebs from advancing to the high ground on the opening day of battle.

That's quite true.  As I think I said above, the Henrys themselves were extremely expensive, and only 16,000 of them were used in the Civil War - almost entirely by the Union.  The Spencers weren't a uniform weapon of any army during the war, though a lot of cavalry regiments did use them.  The uniform cavalry weapon was (or grew to be, anyway) the Sharps breachloading carbine, which still fired something like 12-15 rounds a minute (still a hell of a lot faster than the standard muzzle loaders).

From what I've read, the Henry generally lacked in accuracy and power, but with sixteen shots you don't need a whole lot of either.  But still, I agree - one hell of a pretty looking gun.  Wink

Saturday nights with Groggy
Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 10:40:03 PM »

Ascetically the Volcanic rifle looks very much like the Henry in many regards so you can’t rule it out, however, it seems highly unlikely that anyone in that group would use and operate one.  Although having repeating capability, which Henry would latter incorporate in his own rifle, the Volcanic certainly lacked any real stopping power generating a disappointing muzzle velocity of 56 ftp with it’s self contained caseless bullets.  Talk about lacking power  I doubt anyone in that group would have such an unreliable piece but it is possible that it could have been just be lying around and Manco just happened to pick it up. 

Volcanic rifles are a rare commodity, even in 1965 and are extremely expensive, but it is quite possible Leone had one in his collection and used it for the movie.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 11:08:47 PM by Harmonica » Logged

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
Beebs
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 06:04:39 AM »

Seems I remember a post concerning what these Bounty Hunters do with their reward money. They buy better guns. Henry's and Volcanic rifles.  Colonel Mortimer has that sheet of four high cost looking weapons.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM