Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 10:11:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I'm now sold on Corbucci
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm now sold on Corbucci  (Read 5469 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:32:44 PM »

A few months ago on IFC I caught The Great Silence which I enjoyed. I watched it again the next day because I could understand it more and enjoyed it way more

I just got Django today and now I'm hooked on the Corbucci style! That guy knows how to make great "lone gunfighter" characters.

I see he's done a lot of westerns, but the only ones I hear about a lot are Navajo Joe, Hellbenders, The Mercenary, and Companeros.

Which ones have been given decent DVD treatment? With the countless movies he's made has he ever experimented with various elements in his films like he has done with those two? By that I'm talking about stuff like Great Silence taking place in the snow, having a mute character, having the bounty hunters be the bad guys, etc. and crazy inventions on Django like the KKK white trash vs. Mexican savages, the coffin with the gatling gun, mud covered town, etc. I really like that experimental element in his films.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 09:50:23 PM by Poggle » Logged
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:41:32 AM »

I love The Great Silence, at the moments its my favourite non-Leone spaghetti, and I did enjoy Django alot. I recomend you check out Companeros, another great spaghetti with a good Morricone score. (Here comes banjo, this conversation will allow him to convince us all  Grin )

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 04:53:14 AM »

just yesterday I got my second viewing of Silence as well and it might be the best 'second viewing' I've ever had... it really gets a lot better once you aren't guessing and confused... companeros is the only one left that has a decent dvd release anywhere close by.... it's also a great film, I have it ranked somwhere between django and Silence.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 07:07:25 AM »

In a talk-show I saw in the '80's Corbucci was complaining about the critics who always lambasted his movies. He remembered, half-laughing half-sad, how one, in a review of a movie with wich he had nothing to do,   had written: "so bad it could be a Corbucci's movie".

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »

I love The Great Silence, at the moments its my favourite non-Leone spaghetti, and I did enjoy Django alot. I recomend you check out Companeros, another great spaghetti with a good Morricone score. (Here comes banjo, this conversation will allow him to convince us all  Grin )
OK i'm not going to pretend that i'm expert on all the nuances of Corbucci or his tecniques and cinematography-far from it!!I just happen to enjoy his SW's as much as Leones.Its inevitable this being a Leone site that SW's by other directors tend to get disregarded as copyist trash etc in some quarters and i feel that some movies from the likes of Corbucci,Sollima,Tessari,Valeri,Petroni,Parolini etc deserve a lot more credit than they get-because i (and many others on this "other films" thread) thoroughly enjoy many of them.What we mustn't forget that all these Italian filmakers shared the same personel of scriptwriters,photography,editors,producers,cast and most importantly Morricone(FOD may have sunk without him) was extremely prolific in providing the soundtrack for many of these movies(often lifting them to greatness) and i think its fair to say that all directors influenced each other to some extent.
    I think the general consensus is that Great Silence,Companeros and The Mercenary are pretty much indispensible and have all received a very high quality DVD treatment.Poggle if you haven't yet seen Franco Nero then you are in for one helluva treat-this guy is cool personified but with some brilliant back up from the likes of Tomas Milian and Jack Palance(candidate for the best SW villain ever in the Mercenary?).I like Django as much but lets say just a tad behind in quality are Django(the English audios a bit suspect) and Navajo Joe(decent Japanese print available).I do exert a bit of quality control in my purchases and the only other Corbucci movie i have is the very average Ringo & His Golden Pistol with Mark Damon which i taped of UK TCM.
   I'm sorry that i haven't been more constructive but you'll see there's already acres of stuff written about Corbuccis top SW's already!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 08:25:36 AM »

Here, Here! Well Said!

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 09:11:29 PM »

From the responses and what I've read around the board I guess Companeros is a good idea for the next choice Wink

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 12:07:26 AM »

your right their! i love that movie. watch out for themes in corbucci's style, a cffin always turns up somewhere as does a grave yard. the hero always gets beat up in some form or another and the hero has a better than average gun at some point in the movie. ie django... enjoy.

That could just be cannon fire.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:09:12 AM »

Yes, Poggle, check it out. Its a great, fun, movie.

Tim
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 10:07:29 PM »

Sergio Leone will always be one of my favorites, right along side Peckinpah, but Corbucci's main six films hold up pretty well against Leone's six, a topic that has been discussed recently.

Django, The Great Silence, Navajo Joe, The Mercenary, The Hellbenders, and Companeros are all pretty good movies.  They might not be on the same epic level as some of Leone's movies, but they're all a lot of fun to watch and full of action.  As well, Corbucci doesn't take the easy way out.  In several of these movies, it ends on a down note.  I can appreciate directors who are willing to go against the norm like that, with the "good guys" not always coming out on top.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 03:08:28 AM »

From the responses and what I've read around the board I guess Companeros is a good idea for the next choice Wink
You can't go wrong with Companeros or the very similar but slightly better the Mercenary.I forgot about Hellbenders and although there aren't any characters in this movie that are particularly charismatic or even likeable(Joseph Cotton is excellent as the biggotted patriarch though) it
is a really good film with some themes mentioned above by Indio and definately one of its kind!

Christopher
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 06:07:58 PM »

I've seen and enjoyed Django and The Great Silence. And I'll soon be able to watch Companeros once my SW collection comes in. I would like to see the other movies listed here too.

Years ago, I remember watching Corbucci's Super Fuzz with Terence Hill. I remember it as a really fun movie. We may still even have it on tape (with commercials, I'm sure Roll Eyes).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 06:37:32 PM »

I love Hill & Spencers non-western output and already have the brilliant Watch out We're mad and Crimebusters.May have to check out Superfuzz,Christopher!

Christopher
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 10:22:04 PM »

Not to sway the topic, but I've seen the Crime Busters tape at a local video rental store. When I saw it, I thought I'd have to get around to checking it out.

Have there been any good quality releases of Super Fuzz in other regions? I saw it mentioned on the IMDb that a Region 1 DVD has apparently been released but the quality is very bad.

Oh, HERE'S an Amazon link for it. At that price, you wouldn't think the quality would be too bad, would you? Huh

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM